1uz winch buggy

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

GARY ANDREWS

hi thinking of using a 1uz v8 in my buggy.was wondering how water proof these engines are,i see they have covers on the dissys do these keep out the water if in deep water are there any other places that let then down,i know the ecu will have to be up high cheers gary

The alternator is mounted incredibly low, right down near where your steering box is going to be (unless you go orbital) and assuming you are right hand drive. I would move the alternator up high, or delete it in your buggy if possible, but with a winch, you will need a decent alternator.

On the whole, They are not bad, I submerged mine once and it was fine, that was a crown V8, no issues, and used it off road an awful lot, but I would predict repeated mud and submersion would not be advisable. (As with ANY motor) LOL.... You just have to understand if it is going to be in that environment it will destroy most things, so regular maintenance is critical.

Somewhere on here there's a video of member "guts" with his Hi-Lux bonnet deep in a mud pool and his engine kept going nicely.

Expect to wear out alternators & clutches but the rest will survive.

If you bury it deep enough to flood the distributors you will be in at least 1 metre of water which will see you being very wet as well.

One good thing about the 1UZ is the sarter is up out of the mud which is a real problem for most engines.

Move the alternator up to become a new top idler and you'll be sweet.

Lextreme sells a 165watt alternator which would be perfect for a winch vehicle.

You can use coli on plug or coil near plug if you go aftermarket.

Check John Cribb's engine in the "Forced Induction" section.