Difinitive cluch guide

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dougal200

I have been looking around and it seems that there is no one place to find out what clutch,flywheel, gearbox combos work together.

i will start out with what i expect to run and try to add in the missing info as a guide for everyone

Engine-1uzfe- all v8 should have the same pattern for bellhousing and crank

Flywheel- 2 options as far as i know

AW20 mr2 turbo-with slotted holes to bolt to flywheel and modded ring gear.

Custom/modded -a JZ flywheel will need a 1uz ring gear machined on, welded, as the gear is too small for the uz. bolt pattern on to crank is 6 bolts and must be modded to 8.

bellhousing- many options

W58- a bell houing is avalable of the shelf or you can use the auto bellhousing and a 10mm spacer plate

R154- as above but with a 29mm spacer

Others- will need a custom adapter

cluch release bearing-two options

If you are retaining the original gearbox bellhouseing/custon made it would be easy to reuse the existing cluch release bearing/mechanism

if you are using the 1uz bell housing then there is no prevision for a leaver type mechanism. you should use a concentric cylinder from either the after market (quatermaster etc) or a saab, GM etc one (cheap if second hand)

Cluch actuation-two options

MR2 turbo and all R154 cluch pressure plates use a pull type action and as far as i am aware have to be used with the R154 release mechanism- Can they be converted?

All others as far as i am aware use a std push type and are suitable with a std W58/concentric cylinder arrangement

Cluch type-lots

Mr2 turbo/GT-4 -236mm 21 spline- this will be a pull type though

Camry V6- as above but i am unsure of push/pull

Supra 2jz (none turbo)-236 21 spline push type?

hilux diesel- might be a good option should be push type with high torque

all the above should fit the r154 and w58 spline and Mr2 turbo flywheel and should be options depending on push or pull

am i correct in being able to use a 1uz with auto bell housing,W58 adapter mr2 turbo flywheel and a hilux cluch with concentric bearing?

All JZ engines have 8bolt cranks. 7M's had 6bolt cranks

3stge clutches are not pull type, they are push type.

A 3rd option for a flywheel is one from superrunner on here.

To answer your last question, yes you are able to do exactly what you described in the question.

There are NO OPTIONS with flywheel's, you make a custom one.

Peewee, I disagree - it's called manslaughter when it kills someone else.

Attachments

• wiring 001.jpg
    wiring 001.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 30
My setup:

Bell housing adapter plate
TTC Performance (R154/V160) Bell housing Adapter

Bell housing
1JZ R154 bellhousing (7MGTE R154 bellhousing will not work with this setup I have listed)

Clutch Kit
Stage 3 F1 Racing Clutch Kit for MkIII Supra from Grip Force Clutches

Flywheel
Superrunner

In NZ we are spoiled for choice.
I personally stock a one piece chrome moly flywheel with intergrated ringgear ( not pressed on)
I have access to three other custom flywheels which are made locally.

For clutches we have used SW20 MR2 covers with hilux plates , button plates etc

My favorite clutch is a Heavy duty 10 inch cover with a heavy sprung organic plate. This gives a lovely road clutch which can handle a beating.

If someone wants something stronger then I use a 9.5 inch motorsport cover. This cover would suit the power of a well modified skyline.

Both of these covers bolt to the moly flywheel I stock as it is double drilled and has two sets of dowls.

We have fitted pivot balls to adaptor plates , used replacement bellhousings and used internal hydralic bearings. All can be made to work well.

I will get a photo of the setup I stock if someone wants. I also have a photo of a modified MR2 wheel which I don't like using. Cheers

Gloverman, that situation is brilliant for you, and absolutely disgraceful for us here in the USA.

How can a country with an entire population smaller than the city of Houston, produce not one or two, but three (and maybe more?) custom flywheels for this motor which probably has a sum total presence of less than 1000 units over there?

While here we are in the USA, with 50x the population of NZ, and probably 20x the number of these engines, and we've only come up with "one" custom flywheel, and some modifications to existing units?

Now it's probably fair to say a much higher percentage of hotrodders in NZ are using the UZ motor than here in the US, where our good 'ole boys (and the hotrod industry) are still stuck on their SBC's and SBF's.

Kudos to Chrisman, Scotturnot, and Superrunner for leading the way on our side, but fellow Yanks, I think it's time we stepped up and started developing some more flywheel & clutch solutions for this motor, don't you?

I know this will be an area of prime interest for me, once I can get a motor to survive a dyno run and am finally ready to put it in a car!

Also in Aus they have a few different combo's..Fly wheel is not quite sure..either chromo molly or Billet steel..one peice,my pressure plate is 10.5" with matching organic plate..real nice feel and ride ability for me to ride the clutch when needed also helps with the 33" wheels I got.the info is on my thread..cheerz

Thanks for the input guys.
i will update the above when i have a bit more time, with particular attention to the modified flywheel mentioned (i read this in a post about using the supra 6 speed).

i will still be redrilling an mr2 flywheel unless i can find an alternative sorce at the right price.

what sort of price are the custom flywheels in NZ?

if you think you have a hard time in the US think about us in the UK, there are plenty of ls400s but i must be one of about 10 people if that in the uk to use this engine in a swap.

Thor racing seem to do a few bits but the price for the R154 kit is more than i have spent on my car, box and engine put together!

many thanks

here is one supplier that does chrome molly

http://www.chokeonthesmokeracing.co.nz/lexusparts.html

$but it's a bit pricey @ $680.00 NZ but seeing as the currency is converting towards you it'll be pretty good..cheers

Also Dellows and CRS do them
http://www.dellowauto.com.au/main.html

Also these guys do a CNC steel one
http://a1turbos.co.nz/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=fly&Category_Code=1QT

And CRS
http://www.rodshop.com.au/

Hope this helps..you could also try
www.trademe.co.nz they do list some from time to time..cheers

ya you got useful sorces? examples?

Again more **** talking but no useful information.
I don't have any video's on hand, but no doubt youtube or similar does.

But I have seen quite a few pics and many video's from modified flywheels exploding.
All sorts of damage has resulted including parts of the flywheel landing a good 50m away.

Sure the chances of it happening are low, but looking at the potential consequences for skimping on a $300 bit of gear, to me its a no brainer.

Cribbj you bring up a good point, but due to the fact that 1uz's aren't very popular at all in the states. I'm with you though, it seems like the few americans we have on the board, most of us aren't doing anything. I am one of those people because I lack two things; money and skill.