Confused on Intercooling

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Philly#1 Lex

I am trying to figure out what the best option for intercooling a M90 Superchargered SC400. I was seriously thinking about Air to water but I dont completely understand it.
1) Do you have to have a different water supply than the radiator? And if so What type and sized storage tank is needed? And does the water go through the intercooler and back out to the storage tank where it is cooled again?

What I am trying to understand is how a air to water intercooler works. Also if ther does have to be some type of storage tank for water what are the best cooling methods?

Sorry if my question sounds stupid but I am just trying to understand. Also why is it so difficult to do air to air on the M90? If you could how would you.

Thanks

Thank you. those were great article. I am going to try and go with air to water. First I need to finds one that will suit my needs. Where can I find a good one for a M90 or M112 setup running about 10 psi? Thanks alot guys

Also any Ideas of placement? I got from the threads the the aftercooler doesnt have to be mounted like FMIC. So where could you put in a SC400 engine bay? Thanks again

i hate to burst your bubble, but if your supercharger is mounted like i think it is (directly to the engine in place of the intake manifold) you're looking at a custom deal, which usually means expensive. It'd have to be sandwiched in between the supercharger and the engine somehow. which means it will raise the height of the blower meaning you'll have to get a longer belt probably. i don't know how much information you got from the other articles, but basically, an air to water intercooler system works as an independent cooling system. a holding tank, the i/c core, a front mounted heat exchanger, and of course, a pump to move the liquid. the size of tank depends on the flow of the pump. and the flow of the pump is dependent on the required flow to cool off the boost.

There's no way you will fit an W2A cooler in the inlet manifold and keep it under the bonnet.

There simply isn't enough room in the valley to fit one if the starter isn't moved.

If you want a supercharger AND intercooler you need to look at centrifugal and an inline cooler. This will give top end boost (like a turbo) but very little in the bottom end where our engine can use it.

Attached are a couple of photos of my hybrid 1UZ/Ford Lightning manifold.

It still needs some finishing machining but it's 95% there.

The first photo gives an idea of the depth of the manifold. It's actually 150mm or 6" deep.

It would be possible to mount it higher to clear the starter as long as you didn't mind more of it sticking out of the bonnet.

The second shot gives an idea of the location of the runners in relationship to the Ford valley.

The two holes at the bottom of the valley are for an intake air temp sensor and a boost gauge.

When I finish the last of the milling I'll post a write up of the fabrication.

You may be able to it using the jag V8 supercharger design like jordy has done. Look in the fabrication section. Much simpler would be to build a manifold setup like these guys. Shame they don't make a lexus one though.
They mount the blower upside down in the valley and the intercooling is done up above.

http://www.allenengine.com/

Posted by Jon_Boy
i hate to burst your bubble, but if your supercharger is mounted like i think it is (directly to the engine in place of the intake manifold) you're looking at a custom deal, which usually means expensive.

Um your not bursting my bubble and dont you think I know its custom. There are no "Slap-on kits" for the SC400! And its not expensive if your doing the work. Dont post if you dont know!

Posted by Jon_Boy
i don't know how much information you got from the other articles, but basically, an air to water intercooler system works as an independent cooling system. a holding tank, the i/c core, a front mounted heat exchanger, and of course, a pump to move the liquid. the size of tank depends on the flow of the pump. and the flow of the pump is dependent on the required flow to cool off the boost.

Thanks for the useful info. A pal better explained it to me yesterday before I saw this thread. Your info can help other people though.

Zuffen. Thats a different type of manifold than Me and a friend think of using. But Let me know how it comes out. Also you know since I have another thread I plan on relocating the starter at first, then I have other plans.

Blown SC. I agree if worse comes to worse I will do something about the hood. A scoop of some sort or we have other ideas as well. But I dont think we will have to. I will keep you updated as I will not see my car again until Late September.

I think its funny alot of people discourage you from doing things that they wouldnt. Power cost money and standing out from the crowd takes time, effort, sacriface and risk. Everyone has been waiting for some mystical kit to drop from the sky. I will supercharger the SC400. And hopefully prove all the people who say "Its not worth it or its too expensive." That the 1UZ has buckets of potiential. Cant let the Aussies take all the credit and have all the fun. Oh FLAME SUIT ON

Philly,

I agree with most of your comments.

I think people are trying to ensure you don't have the "rose coloured (colored) glasses" on and think this is a simple deal.

BlownSC (Neil) knows more about boosting the 1UZ than anyone I can think of in Australia so he is certainly worth listening to.

I'm a self taught "mechanic" who applies commonsense to most problems. Nothing brilliant in what I do. The manifold I have has taken over 6 months on and off (waiting for TIG welding to be done added heaps of time) and many a sleepess night.

Almost anything can be made to work.

An M90 is in the lower end of desirable for the 1UZ and with the boost you can get out of it I wouldn't see intercooling as the most pressing issue.

Keep going and keep us all posted as the more of us who try these things to soonner we can show those LS1 guys who's got the best engine.

You can take your flame suit off now.

One thing this Forum is not known for is flaming. It just doesn't seem to happen here. Sort of like "rice". Good thing too!

Zuffen, your a cool dude :smile: Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think the 1UZ can make alot more power with intercooling and properly tuned Stand alone. I plan on going for 10psi intercooled and stand alone. I dont think the stock ECU can hang. I think its strange I think neil's car makes so much more torque than HP. I am looking for 500 over 500 for daily driving in Italy. Anyway I will have more questions for you as they come.

Oh almost forgot Flame Suit Off

philly, i did not mean to offend you. like zuffen said, i was just making sure we were on the same page. and by no means do i want to discourage you just because its expensive. with these cars, nothing is (hell, with any car now days, but even more so with these) and i really DO hope it works out awesome, and i hope you do kick the hell out of some stangs!!!! This platform really needs people taht are willing to say "screw you, i'm still gonna do it. and if it doesn't work, at least we know" good luck supercharging!!!