cant find the answer. 97 wiring

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

shifty biscuits

97 wiring into gx81, running ish...

hey. i have been looking for some information for the past few months on wiring for my 1uzfe swap into my datsun c210 skyline. im a relative newb to wiring as i have only ever done 1 conversion on a pretty straight forward ca18det into s14.
i bought a 1997 ls400 uk car and i need to know what i have to do to get it to run on the most basic amount of wiring. i have not been able to find anything that actually shows what i need for this model or where to find the wires.
i bought the lexus workshop manual on cd but its really confusing and i cant seem to get my head round any of it.
i hope someone here can help shed some light on this.
cheers.

Last edited:
i now have a huge pile of loom on my workshop floor and no idea what to do with it lol. really need to figure this out soon, so any suggestions as to what i need to do would be appreciated.

iits not as easy as everyone on her emakes it look especially if u know jack about wiring

basically trace all the wires from the body plugs to the engine harness
most u wont need remove one wire at a time and gradually it will look easier
the more wires u remove

if you have transponder key then u have more wiring to do than most

also it takes ages to learn how to use workshop manuals on cd
best of printing off main pages u need then go from there
as jumping from page to page on cd sux asssss
so i always print main pages so u can also write on them

just stick at it and u will nit it out
just might take afew months

well i just spent the whole day trying to trim down the car harness to a manageable size but im just hitting walls, i have no idea what i need to keep or cut from it to keep the engine alive, i have no reference diagrams and no wiring or electrical knowledge at all!!! can anyone help me out with info on what wires i need to run the engine? please, im begging lol!!!

Doing that ATM and allow a week. Remember to label everything and I'm doing it the hard way from an engine package not a car or halfcut. Engine is going into an '02 Hilux (3RZ coming out) so looks like it may be a matter of matching pinouts at this stage yet I'm sure Sideshow will disagree

Off the top of my head this is what I'd leave.

* all wiring for the starter.
* Wiring to the injectors
* wiring to the ignition coils, this eventuall runs to the igniters
* all the wiring to the igniters
* temp sensors (there are 2)
* oil pressure switch
* alternator wiring
* throttle position sensor
* knock sensor wiring (both)
* heavy black with orange trace as this takes ignition pwer to the engine
* crank and cam position sensors
* O2 sensor wiring
* charcoal cannister purge wiring
* diagnostic port wiring may be handy as well
* iscv wiring

Now if you don't want airconditioning - that wiring can go.
If you don't want traction control, that can go.
If going manual you can remove all the transmission wiring

Another option if you're not sure what your doing is do nothing and leave the loom intact. The only downside is it's a little more bulky than you would have preferred.

I think that's about it but please anyone chime in If I've missed anything.

There isnt much that is removed in most cases. Please take some photos of your ECU , ECU plugs and body plugs so I can work out what you are doing. Sounds like you need to find someone who has done one before. I have a customer who wants to wire his own motor but I wont let him becuase I will be the one fixing the mess. Instead I will help him wire it. You need to start with the correct diagrams.

Cheers

i have been concentrating on the mechanical side and putting this off. after a few changes of plan the engine is now all fitted into a gx81 mark II with a manual box attatched, now i have to start getting this wired up. the engine is from a 1997 ls 400 ecu pins are 34 22 16 28 pins with part number 89661-50350
i have the ls400 manual with wiring diagrams but i really cant get my head round it. i need to find the pin out for the ecu so i can try and wire it into the gx81 harness.
im keeping the engine loom intact and i have most of the ls400 car loom to chop about. i would like to use the ignition fuel pump and ecu relay circuits from the gx81 but get them working with the 1uzfe harness and ecu.
can anyone help with a simplified diagram for the systems require to run?
cheers

Last edited:
and even so if u have correct wiring diagrams like toyota ones
they will only help u find where wires goto and what pins they r on the ecu

they wont have drawings of the 3 or 4 plugs that goto the dash
u need to buy a multimeter and start tracing wires

and if its going into another late model car u need to then do drawings of the plugs where the old ecu used to go then after that u can sit down and decipher what u just have drawn and even after all that u need to sort of know how it all works
othewise somethings wont work perfectly or it wil be a very very messy job
trust me ive seen this heaps

there is no simplified drawing when u r fitting it to a gx81
they had a 1gg didnt they
so u need to figure out what the 1gg dash wires do and join them to the 1uz dash plugs
its not hard it just takes awhile

i can wire it up in a full day and it will look factory and have everything working
now u know y i am worth so much hahahahahhaha

but if u want to do it for free then take yoru time
and learn how it all works so when it breaks down u know what to do

me and a mate have got the car running but im having a few problems. i bought a workshop manual on cd for the car which my friend used to find the wires we have used to get it running, the cd somehow got snapped and i cant find another one. does anyone have a link to a free download for the 97 workshop manual?
on to the issues. the engine runs ok but its having a cold start issue, it coughs and bangs and grumbles when i try and start it form cold, if i even touch the throttle it dies. it idles rough and misses when it finally starts. once warmed up for a minute or two its fine, revs freely and no missfiring. the other part of the problem is after running it to operating temperature for 10-15 mins or so the idle drops off and it cuts out. seems random as its idle is perfectly steady when hot until it just gives up....
does anyone have any suggestions as to what i could try or what might be wired up wrong?