Can't decide on IMF headers / Special $399 Group Buy

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

scfou

The total shipped to my place is 450 something dollars, which is still a steal! However, after reading what people have to go through to install headers on the 1uz discourages me a bit. Some claim they've taken as long as 9 hrs. just to get them on, and after having removed several parts from underneath the car. Also, some have problems with the headers hitting certain parts like the tranny, rack, etc. I'm a little worried because my car is a 98 vvti when it's made as a straight bolt on to 92-94 SC400's. Another thing is I have never heard of IMF headers so have no idea on quality, fitment, etc.. Any suggestions people? I would like to get the 15-25whp from them. :mad:

I bought it and so should you! IMF headers for an insane price for $399!!

I bought it and I'm sick to my stomach. Not that I got ripped off; not that I don't trust IMF headers; but it's because I placed my mortgage payments on priority 2 instead, LOL...! Now that's bad plus the end of the month is coming up. I better be able to sell my complete 5spd w58 swap asap on CL. I swear this is not just a car but it's alive and in living color. It communicates with me and it's telling me to buy the headers so I must.

However, after reading what people have to go through to install headers on the 1uz discourages me a bit. Some claim they've taken as long as 9 hrs. just to get them on, and after having removed several parts from underneath the car. Also, some have problems with the headers hitting certain parts like the tranny, rack, etc. I'm a little worried because my car is a 98 vvti when it's made as a straight bolt on to 92-94 SC400's.

Headers are a bit of a PITA to install but they are not that hard. Just be patient, have several wrenches, sockets and swivels on hand, some of the nuts are really tough. Your car being newer may help as bolts may not be as siezed up as earlier ones. You will get some banged up knuckles and scraped out of the deal for sure. My first set took me about 5 hours, second set was about 3. GL, it will be worth it.

IMF stated that they are made overseas. And I assume that they are made by a factory that cranks out hundreds if not thousands of headers every month. In this regard, "manufacturing quality" should not be a concern.

As you and others have already expressed, I would just double check in regards to "fitment quality".

IMF headers came in already, and it just took a few days, Lol.. I was expecting them in maybe mid December. They look very nice. The welding is not as thick as I thought they would be, but I think they're suppose to be that way, right? Also, they came with all the gaskets and even bolts screwed onto the o2 holes. Very nice..

Hey Scott, if I install these headers, do I have to hook up the egr to pass smog? Will headers even pass smog if I keep the cats in place?

good time saving trick is to "loosen" your sub frame and let it drop a good inch, it allows just enough wiggle room to negotiate the steering rack and input shaft. I can remove mine in 2hrs using this method.

A second good idea is to unload a can of wd-40 on all exhaust bolts a full 24hrs before popping them loose. saves a few trips to the ER for gushing knuckles!

If you dont hook up the EGR it will throw a CEL. I know on earlier models you can trick it with a resister but with yours being a 98 I wouldnt count on it.

That's a pretty good deal. Installing the headers with a good exhaust system all the way to the muffer tip will release around 10 rwhp. Add a true cold air intake, a SAFC and tune it will yield you another 10-15 rwhp. You can't pass smog if you bypass the EGR. If you don't have the CEL and even if you have the 3 mods above, you can still pass smog if the tech doesn't care about the visual test.

GUYS...

This is a 98-00 VVTi SC400. There is NO EGR it is done with the variable valve timing.

The IMF headers are very nice and a STEAL at that price BUT... you MUST remove the catalysts. You can probably reinstall the stock cats staggard in the tunnel area and that is exactly the way I would TRY to do it if it were my car. It becomes much more difficult to pass a visual inspection even when using stock cats relocated due to the way the law is written requiring stock cats in the stock location. Doing as I suggest should result in a car passing the actual analyzing part of the test. You will need to relocate the secondary o2 sensors downstream after the cats.

The stock manifolds are very restrictive and 15-20rwhp should be realized.

GUYS...

This is a 98-00 VVTi SC400. There is NO EGR it is done with the variable valve timing.

The IMF headers are very nice and a STEAL at that price BUT... you MUST remove the catalysts. You can probably reinstall the stock cats staggard in the tunnel area and that is exactly the way I would TRY to do it if it were my car. It becomes much more difficult to pass a visual inspection even when using stock cats relocated due to the way the law is written requiring stock cats in the stock location. Doing as I suggest should result in a car passing the actual analyzing part of the test. You will need to relocate the secondary o2 sensors downstream after the cats.

The stock manifolds are very restrictive and 15-20rwhp should be realized.

Rite on Jb! That's good news, but I'll have to block it off though. Any suggestions? After hearing a few people talk about the egr not mating with the afterm headers got me worried a bit there. Also jb why would i have to install the cats staggard?

Rite on Jb! That's good news, but I'll have to block it off though. Any suggestions? After hearing a few people talk about the egr not mating with the afterm headers got me worried a bit there. Also jb why would i have to install the cats staggard?

You may not HAVE to but since the IMF headers come down to where the current cats end you may not have enough ground clearance at the point. Staggered in the tunnel would give more ground clearance but it will also be worth installing an X before the cats because they otherwise would prevent an X or Y in the stock location which is good for torque.

If you are asking about how to block off the EGR flange on the IMF headers I would just buy an EGR block off kit and bolt the correct block off plate to the flange or have someone make a block off plate (should be fairy easy).

Jb, what do you think about a y pipe before the cats, 3" mid-pipe, and another y pipe before the mufflers. That's very close to stock.