Help me decide which engine

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
As some will know I've sold off my supercharged engine as I'm just getting too old for it!

I was originally going to replace it with an Chev/Holden LS3 but I figured the car is set up for th UZ so being lazy I've decided this is the way to go.

I can get 1UZ's from about $1250.00 up to $2,500.00 depending if I want to be raped or not. Not!!

I can get a 3UZ-VVTi for $3,000 in a half cut. This is quite local and would be easy to collect, strip out and use.

Is it worth going for the 3UZ?

Keep in mind I'll be using my old headers which are 1 3/4"4 into 1's with 3"exhast with a cross pipe. The engine bay also has excellent cold air intake and it flows enormous amounts of air.

I know the 3UZ has better bottom end power and in a 1900kg vehicle that would be handy but my car needs a rear sump and as best I can ascertain the engine is front sumped. This is minor problem as for a rear sump you need the dipstick to enter the sump directly (like a Soarer) or through a Crown head on the wrong side of the engine, As I did have.

I can see a few problems with a 3UZ if I can't check the oil level (I use a CRS rear sump) but otherwise it looks like a good thing.

Lastly the transmission is a 5 speed Nissan Patrol manual.

What are people's thoughts.

I plan on buying something this week so I can put my car back together.

The decision bacame easy once I started looking into it.

I was set on a 3UZ until I thought "what about engineering"?"

If I increase the capacity of my engine above 4litres I need to re-submit the car to engineering.

Engineering would cost me a minimum of $1,200.00 and involve an afternoon of testing on a track. Besides which I'm in the middle of an ICV rego on my pick-up which will run $5,000.00 in engineering.

Whilst the car is quite capable of living with other road users I don't want the drama of ensuring it's 100% correct.

For example my wheels are overwidth (10") and to change those would add another $1,000.00 to the swap plus a 3UZ is $3,000.00 so all up I could spend $5-6,000 gaining 300cc's and VVTi.

For an easy $800.00 I purchased a Soarer engine less the front drive ancilliaries (I still have mine) exhaust and a few minor bits I didn't want. And it has half the k's of the 3UZ.

I would have loved the 3UZ but I'll be happy to have a car that is drivable everyday if I wish and is fuel efficient (I was getting 17litres'100k on the original Crown engine) and should start first go every go.