Cam belt jumped 4 teeth

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Guts

I had my cam belt jump 4 teeth on the weekend during a 4x4 comp. It did it just as I finished a run which seen the motor seeing the 7g mark for about 1 min of a 1.55 min run.

What happened is the belt stripped a stripped about 10mm wide off the top of it and that stripped then wrapped itself around the water pump pully. Some where in this process it jumped 4 teeth. Yep then it idioled like crap. lucky it did this while I was sitting in the finish box signing paperwork and not while at full revs.

Got a new belt (mate did a parts run) from toyota for $66.00 and replaced it in the bush just so we could finish competing. Missed 4 stages before we got it going again, but owell thats motor sport for you.

Btw 1UZ and 2UZ timing belts are the same and we got prices ranging from over $200.00 all the way down to the only place that had 1 in stock at the $66.00.

You should also change your belt tensioner. Lots of time belt tensioner is weak and unable to tighten the timing belt properly. Secondly you are very lucky. Pre 98 motors are non-interferrence. Post 98 would cost massive damage to the valves, pistons and possible heads too.

Oooo this is not good. I'm planning on using my engine the same way. I'm replacing everything in question so let's cross our fingers this isn't a normal thing under hard use. I hope your new tensioner takes care of things. The water pump I just took off today and threw in the trash was really dragging and didn't spin very well at all. That would just play havoc on your cam belt. Check yours out closely when you take it off. Maybe it was putting things under stress as well. Maybe the heat made the belt give up finally. I'm just thinking of why this might have happened. I'm sure the mudd didn't help either =]

Was not mud in there, was clean as. In fact it was that clean in there I was shocked.

Heard of somebody having samething happen in new zealand, he to was lucky to not kill the motor. This person also does the same type of driving and events.

We all know the motor revs to 7g but how much do they truely like it?