Getting cam pulley back on without removing belt?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Orphan

Hey guys,

I recently finished a shim job on my 1UZ. During which I managed to score the inside of one of the intake cam buckets so I replaced it. Thinking myself to be clever I tied the timing belt to the cam pulleys and then took the battery side pulley off so I could remove the cam and wedged a bar through the pulley it to keep it in place and tension on the belt. Replaced the bucket, cam back in and now I can't get the cam pulley back on. I have tried a number of times unsuccessfully. Any thoughts or is it pull the front of the engine off time?

Hey gloverman, the only timing belt tensioner I am aware of is number 3 on the picture below:

enginefront.jpg

Is this the tensioner that you are talking about and if so how would I access it without removing the front plate? The accessory belt tensioner appears to be in relatively the same position, is it just hiding behind?

I appreciate your help.

3 is the tensioner bearing. 10 is the hydraulic tensioner which is what I was talking about. It will have extended to full reach making it imposible to refit the pully at present
Remove the two 8mm(12mm heads) and the hydraulic tensioner will slip out. Refit the pully. To retract the tensioner place it into a vice and slowly squeeze it in. Dont try and do it all in one go. and not too much pressure. If you are really worried then replace it. Once squeezed in fit a suitable pin or even a small drill bit is often good.
Then refit and check cam timing before pulling the pin.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it should solve my problem if I can find a vice in the garage. Is it an item that needs to be replaced? I have no issue re using it if it's not something that requires replacing but prefer to replace items with a limited life span. Is it gas filled? I was under the impression that liquids didn't really compress.

The cam timing should be fine as I marked the belt and tied it to the cam pulleys. I am a little unsure about the crank, given my efforts to try and get the cam back on it may well have jumped a tooth.

I found a picture that seems to show what you have said:

tensionercompressed.jpg