Cam and valve spring change

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

samsdad

I'm in the process of fitting a set of Kelford cams to a UCF10 Celsior which are in old school speak a "Fast road cam" (270s I think, haven't got the specs in front of me at time of writing) and are able to be used with the standard ECU. Now due to the clients budget it was elected to do this with the engine in place without removing the heads. This has later proved to not be a terribly efficient way of doing the job but fortunately his budget has improved.

Even with the correct tooling and having done this type of job on different engines many times over the years it is quicker and easier in the case of the LS/SC to remove the engine from the car and do the job on an engine stand esp for the novice. It also pays to order in a few spare collets/retainers (which are the same as a 3S-GE) lest anything go "ping" and fly off into the distance and replace the valve stem seals at the same time. Replace the wave washers on the cam scissor gears and remember that when you go to fit the gears to the new cams bung them in the oven for 15-20 mins first (on full and make sure that the mrs isn't around) the scissor gears need to be slotted slightly to clear the new higher lift lobes, opposite the keyway is a good place for this.

I'll let you know how the car performs once the engine is back in the hole

Well I managed to put together a short clip of how it sounds at the moment. A few days after she went back on the road. I racked up some Km's over a couple days to warm the cams up. I suspect the ECU still has to educate itself a bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypIV8BVNi2I

The power band definitely kicks in after 3000 rpm as you can hear the first time I give the loud pedal some foot.

I have to be careful as the power band goes beyond the rev limiter it seems. (To be fixed in future)

Thanks to Samsdad for putting it all together.

I'm not in any great rush to do another one either, but I say that about the Hilux/Surf conversions everytime I finish one...

Due to getting the flu getting back on to post up my thoughts on the results wasn't something that happened...

Now as Steve says the power really comes in after 3-3500RPM. The reason for this is the car is still running a stock ECU. This said while it doesn't feel like a power house of grunt (auto with stock diff gears), without before and after dyno sheets one look at the way the speedo now sweeps up like a tacho says that there is an improvement. Best results will be gained using either a piggy back or aftermarket ECU to enable adjustment of ignition timing and fueling (go back to carby engine days, when you put a cam in you changed the advance weight springs and jets to suit). But when you put the boot up it it does make a worked LS1 sound like something that Granny drives to the shops on pension day. Benefits will also be had with a good exhaust and decent cold air intake.

One thing to remember with the UZ engines. If you want to "Tickle" them up it a case of "All or nothing". Even if you can do all the work yourself despite there being a lot more aftermarket support these days as Steve will tell you expect to spend some big $$ (keep in mind in his case he went away with quite a lot of other work done too). Also remember to shop around as some aftermarket parts inc some newly available (e.g heater hoses) cost the same if not more than the genuine item. Plus some items are shared with other (Toyota) engines so it's more economical in some instances to purchase and aftermarket part for that engine and double up on it (Spark plug tube seals are the same as a 4A-FE and available as a set of 4. Valve stem seals 3S-GE etc)

Yes indeed, the stock Drive ratio is s bog factor it doesn't feel all that quick, It still has some of the original smoothness in that it tricks you into thinking you're not moving as fast as you actually are. It would feel incredible with shorter gears. (And a tune)

Feels like it's gotten a little quicker since I picked it up also, I assume because of the ECU learning, either that or it's just the cooler air.

The sound of it makes quite the definitive statement now. Getting quite a lot of confused glares around the streets now.

Well I haven't been out racing around really, I think it's the "What is that thing, and why can I feel the noise it makes" look.

Other V8 owners instinctively do the whole "look at me" fly by thing.

Im having issues turning my Stereo on.

Oh Sent you an email also.