Big turbos

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

Not xUZFE but still fun to look at the engineering. I know I know "old worthless pushrod V8" with a sizeable pair of turbos. Healthy power nevertheless. If I had to guess I would say 1500-2000hp. Maybe more.

brad_brand1.jpg

Actually, I may be underestimating the above engines output potential.

Here is a picture of a Pontiac (real Pontiac design) engine making nearly 3000hp on alky.

Knowing what a 600hp street car is capable of makes me wonder what 2800+hp would do?

Oh and BTW, each header collector is only 2.5" in diameter. Flowing pretty well at that size I would say.

Article from Enginemasters http://popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/pontiac/0410em_butler/

0410pon_butler_01_z.jpg

Eh, you can't count the hundreds of "little" 3.8L v6 BGN/T-R's over 1000rwhp in the past 20 years.

The pic in the top post that J Brady posted is of Brad Brands Mustang.
Specs are
700ci big block
Twin 88mm Turbonetics turbo's
It maxed out the dyno with 2500hp on 12psi of boost
Best time so far is "only" 7.29@192mph as this is a new setup (ONLY)
Here is a link with more info and pics http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28020&highlight=brad+brand
And here is a shot of those baby turbos just for Lex

one more thing to note.. the pontiac with the alky--no intercooler, and they are running some extra injctors in the charge pipe--well before th intake..

chrisman said:
one more thing to note.. the pontiac with the alky--no intercooler, and they are running some extra injctors in the charge pipe--well before th intake..

Yep, as you know it takes much more alky to make power than gasoline. Looking closely reveals three fuel rails per side with 3 injectors per runner PLUS the extras in the feed tube to feed this nearly 3000hp (2886hp).

With the price of gas... alt fuels such as alcohol become much more financially feasible. No catalysts and no intercoolers would save weight, complexity and money. Alky also has a VERY high octane rating hence no intercooling.

I wonder what a stock 1UZFE would handle power wise running alcohol and turbos?

One idea is to set up with dual fuels. Two tanks and extra injector capacity along with switchable ECU programming for the different fuels. The gasoline would run say 8psi and the alcohol 20psi or whatever. You can also use the dual fuel only under boost. Gasoline for cruising an part throttle running. Gasoline and/or alky for boost. Limp mode from either fuel.

mycarhasposessedme said:
The pic in the top post that J Brady posted is of Brad Brands Mustang.
Specs are
700ci big block
Twin 88mm Turbonetics turbo's
It maxed out the dyno with 2500hp on 12psi of boost
Best time so far is "only" 7.29@192mph as this is a new setup (ONLY)
Here is a link with more info and pics http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28020&highlight=brad+brand
And here is a shot of those baby turbos just for Lex

Kind of answers the question: Cubes or boost? (both!)

The Butlers built our Pontiac engines and I can attest to their workmanship. Notice how that 3000hp Poncho doesn't have any intercoolers? Upstream alcohol injection only. Rodney Butler's GTO was so heavy (2950lbs) that they had Reynolds cast them an Indian Adventures block from Aluminum and then ditched the intercoolers to save some more weight.

What's ironic about that potent Pontiac is like the 1UZ it wasn't the "favored" engine in it's circle. BBC's and big Mopars were common (much like the 2JZs) and NO ONE expected them to be this competitive.

The Pontiac, like the 1UZ, in some cases suffers from inherent performance limiting design characteristics--we all know what those are. Yet, strap on 2 turbos and the rules for what limits performance get ignored.