Clutches multi plate to big single disc... review

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

4000GT

So I went from a twin plate QM 7.25 inch setup using a hydraulic release bearing to a full sized cromoly flywheel, with a 10" Nissan 1600kg cover and 9.5" 6 puck ceramic sprung centre disc.

The multiplate is not nice at all for the street, short life span and hard to engage smoothly, hard on gearboxes etc... great for race cars which are coming apart every season, but not a great street solution! Also not the easiest to setup the spacing etc as you lose the play in the slave and fork approach with the floating hydraulic bearing system I used.

The big single setup with a 17mm slave gives heavier pedal feel, but engages well, holds the 500WHP Im currently making, doesnt chatter or rip your face off when at the lights and trying to make it to the next one. It was not a cheap solution, but to deliver the capability to power holding, being much more streetable, its worth the investment in my opinion. It was one of the clutches Gloverman is now offering.

haha well yeah... true. But at least my gearbox and diff might last a bit longer... and when I take a lady out I dont have to drop the clutch and look like a dick lol

Andrew, I'm sure many of us would be interested to hear all your driving impressions, as this clutch wears in.

For the last five years I've driven a 6 puck, metallic lined twin disc with lightened flywheel behind a single turbo 2JZ motor and have the same conclusions as you. However, I'd thought (hoped?) that the additional displacement and torque of a blown 1UZ would overcome some of the disadvantages of the twin disc, but perhaps not?

I'd also thought that the hydraulic release bearing was the better approach vs the conventional slave and a fork (mine has the conventional slave & fork)

Do you think the change from metallic friction plates to ceramic, and/or the heavier flywheel affected the driveability of it, more than the change from multiplate to single?

The are multiplates and multiplates.

At one end you have the essentially race only style that Andrew (and me) was using. Thin, small dia grabby plates that are only designed to be on or off really. Fine in a race car but a bitch in traffic or any stop start use.

At the other end are the multiplate carbon clutches that you can drive like a stock clutch. Apart from the extra noise and the abilioty to hold bulk power, you'd think it was a mild heavy duty stock style upgrade. BIG dollars though.

In the middle you have a heap of options and i have had pretty good success with a twin plate button clutch and larger style flywheel. No judder, and just a firm pedal. Wear was Ok but woyuld still be better than any single plate setup given twice the wear surface and twive the wear thickness overall.

prices vary in this area but Direct Clutch in Qld do a good setup for around $1800AUD including the flywheel...rated to 600hp which i can confirm as mine held until 650hp at which point it started to slip :)

So, as with anything there are trade offs and one size does not fit all.

For what it's worth, my next clutch will also be multi but a British quad plate using organic plates that is good for 900hp (why they don't rate them for torque??) and is the pick of old fat bastards who can't drive who own expensive LS powered toys :) which gives you a fair idea that it's pretty streetable ;)

Justen, resident of the island to my left, has it mostly right on the clutches. Id love to try a triple carbon clutch, but who has 6k for a clutch, well thats what I have spent but you get my drift.

I like the idea of a slave and fork as the fingers that push out when it wears will relac with the force, while a floating has no give...

From memory they are call Superclutch and are in the UK. Striker put me onto them as he knows some FOBs that run 100hp LS's that use them. With any other clutch they either couldn't drive or wore them out in weeks...these things are an organic based material so gentle in application but good clamp beacuse of the quad setup.

they are just based on the tilkton triple plate that i currently run, hence good for me as my current tiny flywheel can be used.

My tilton triple doesn't chatter at all (amazingly) so dunno what the quads will be like.

I like the old tech slave and clutch fork myself ;) Only need to go hydraulic with mad arse clamp pressures is my view and they are a PITA to get working well and consistently over the life of the clutch.

From memory they are call Superclutch and are in the UK. Striker put me onto them as he knows some FOBs that run 100hp LS's that use them. With any other clutch they either couldn't drive or wore them out in weeks...these things are an organic based material so gentle in application but good clamp beacuse of the quad setup.

Ahhh, yeah that'll be them. I think you or Striker mentioned them once before, but being a FOB myself, I was too lazy to search for the reference! :)

I'm interested to see if they'll make an organic twin disc in an 8 1/2", and a stout steel flywheel to go with it. That or a button flywheel that still is heavy enough that it's driveable for the street.

I have still yet to decide on a clutch.

SNIP
Direct Clutch in Qld do a good setup for around $1800AUD including the flywheel...rated to 600hp which i can confirm as mine held until 650hp at which point it started to slip :)

Did you have the DCS Billet Twin Plate?
I rang Direct Clutch a month or so ago and they said that there clutch would hold 1000+hp (and were doing so in lots of drag cars).
The person I spoke with wasn't aware of doing on for a UZ as he wanted my factoy flexplate etc to use for measurements to custom make the flywheel.

they are just based on the tilkton triple plate that i currently run, hence good for me as my current tiny flywheel can be used.

My tilton triple doesn't chatter at all (amazingly) so dunno what the quads will be like.

I like the old tech slave and clutch fork myself ;) Only need to go hydraulic with mad arse clamp pressures is my view and they are a PITA to get working well and consistently over the life of the clutch.

Yup again good call on the release bearing...

I have still yet to decide on a clutch.

Did you have the DCS Billet Twin Plate?
I rang Direct Clutch a month or so ago and they said that there clutch would hold 1000+hp (and were doing so in lots of drag cars).
The person I spoke with wasn't aware of doing on for a UZ as he wanted my factoy flexplate etc to use for measurements to custom make the flywheel.

Yup i sure did and they have done a few since mine as at least one guy in the US runs one. Mine was the very 1st and based off the 3SGTE clutch they originally built for me.

Ask for Steve, he'll know what you need.

What are the twin/triple tilton clutches like for street-ability? I am looking at upgrading to something with a little more beef than what I have now, when i bolt my supercharger on.

Just put a single plate Nissan 9 1/2" with 3,000 lb clamp and a sprung cushion button plate in my cobra.

Very smooth take up and road manners.

It feels a little bit heavier under foot but not much and it leaves big black lines on the road for some reason :).

I'm also running a slave and fork set up.