Batch fire coil on plug conversion 95-97 1uz

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

RonV8charmant

I have just attempted a coil on plug conversion on my 1uzfe with stock lexus ecu and it works! I have the 95-97 sequential injection version with the plastic air flow meter.

I did my engine conversion 3 months ago and i had an intermittent missfire in damp weather, I replaced the rotors and caps at a cost of 90 euro and was about to purchase a set of leads at 300 euros and decided to try the coil on plug trick ive seen done on the 20v 4age engines, I got 8 Lexus is200 cop's for free from a car dismantler I know

This is where I read about the c.o.p. trick on the 4age engines
http://forums.club4a....php?f=13&t=206
more info here
http://s-86.com/s-coilpacks.html

Here are a some pictures of the is200 coil on plugs fitted, I cut off the mounts with a small angle grinder so they would fit in the valleys, I still need to make some brackets to hold them down and i need to tidy the wiring, all the connections are soldered and shrink wrapped.

normal_Photo0689.jpg

normal_Photo0685.jpg

normal_Photo0687.jpg

normal_Photo0686.jpg

As the 1uzfe has two igniters I used them to trigger four coils each

The is200 coils are 4 pin

pin1. earth
pin2. igt
pin3. igf (not used)
pin4. switched 12v live

the earths from all 8 cop's were connected to a common ground on the chassis of the car, the switched live was fed to all 8 cop's, I connected the igt wires from cylinders 1 and 7 together with 4 and 6 to IGT1 on the 1uzfe igniter plug, I connected the igt wires from cylinders 2 and 8 together with 3 and 5 to IGT2 on the other 1uzfe igniter plug (i dont know if this is necessary, i just copied the way each distributer would have sent the spark to two cylinders on the left bank and two on the right bank) I still need to de-pin the igf wires from all the cop connectors as they are not used

Ive done approximately 40 miles as I drove it to work yesterday and today, no problems to report so far!

Last edited:
Good work Ron. Do you have any updates on this? Can you now remove the distributors or are they still required with this setup? I would like to attempt this but wish to remove the distributors which would allow adjustable cam gears.

Would the same principle work on the earlyr 1uz. i have a 92 ls400 engine in my offroad race truck. it hates deep water. i think this could be the way to go.

i'm interested in this as well, for the same reason. Plus it may be cheaper to do this mod than to replace all the ignition components as my engine is 24 years old and as far as i know it's all original:D

im having major issues with this, did you keep the stock igniters, how are you managing the spark order..... im confused and im already past the point of no return

They're going to get rather hot running wasted spark essentially across 4 cylinders!

Curious as to whether there is any further feedback on this conversion?

I'd also like more in depth info on the wiring up of this which would help with us electrically challenged people.