American V8 Swaps into Lexus?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Gents: I certainly am not trying to get in on a "war" here, but I have been following this thread for a while, and I feel I can contribute by commenting, so here goes...

Jibby, I see your points about the late model LS platform, and also your comments on the 1UZ...But IMHO, I do not understand your attempt at a direct comparison...As stated earlier in one of the posts in this thread, the LS has significantly more displacement than the 1UZ. That in and of itself lends to the argument that to get to the same level of output, the 1UZ would have to be boosted...you are discussing 4.0 vs 5.7? come on....

I do not think that is the point here. The 1UZ is an amazing piece of engineering, and we are talking about engines that are what, 15 years old in some cases? Even your engine is approximately that old, in your own words...I believe you also stated that you did not start boosting that engine until it was around 70k miles, and how many years old? Also, how many upgrades to the engine did you make when you bolted on the Juice? You, yourself clearly state that you abuse the engine practically daily...Seems to be doing pretty well for the thrashing you give that engine.

My point is, take a 1UZ, and a LS and compare them if the 1UZ is built to handle the boost, take them both as if new, producing the same HP and TQ, and then see which one holds out...That is the only way to prove your argument, IMHO...

BTW, you questioned how long a 400 HP 1UZ would last, in fact i believe you stated that your opinion was they would not last long compared to the LS engine...I am just wondering what info you are basing this on? Where is your data? Because I do not see any at all...I do see lots of presumption on your part...First of all, consider this, look at the list of boosted 1UZ's that Lextreme has in the registration on this site, there are only a handful, and from my recollection, most of them are supercharged, not Turboed. Regardless of the type of boost, have you collected data from this handful of people to support your claims? If you haven't, how can you accurately make your statements? This means they are pure conjecture, on your part...And my point is to make this clear, because as stated earlier in this thread, some Noob or other that is not familiar with this engine may get the wrong idea...Perhaps that the 1UZ is an inferior engine...and that simply is not true. You should know, and I believe you do, that to add boost to any NA engine properly, is to make sure it is built to handle it...period. Taking an old engine, with years, miles and normal wear and tear and add boost or juice to it wothout doing a significant overhaul at minimum, is aking for trouble, be it a 1UZ or an LS platform. Gaskets, seals and parts get old and worn, so to expect extreme performance past 100k miles is not realistic, IMHO.

Now, I have no problem with you dropping a LS into your SC...go for it if you want...it is your car...But claiming the 1UZ is a crap of an engine....well, I gotta disagree...BTW, to get a 1UZ to 400 WHP does not require that much boost...Look at what Chrisman and Bob were able to acheive on their project, and that was with minimal tuning, long pipes, old and used, very small, unmatched turbos...and yet they got to 400 WHP at 3800 RPM at 17 lbs of boost. They peaked at 510 WHP at 17 lbs of boost. So, what would happen with some larger BB turbos that are matched, well designed headers, and proper tuning? Some food for thought...I should know in less than 2 months, and will certainly pass on the data. I also have a friend, a very good friend with an 07 C6 Vette...I will make a video of us racing each other on the strip, or street, so we can see...BTW, I will be putting out much more than 500 WHP, and my engine will be built to handle it, as well as the drivetrain and everything else.

Jibby, no harm intended to you, but man, you are making a lot of claims as fact, and I cannot just sit by idly and say nothing, when in fact, most of your statements are based upon presumption, and your own opinions...

If you are going to make such verbose claims, especially on this website, be prepared to back them up, or expect alot of the very knowledgeable guys on this site to shred you to pieces...

Ryan

There is a thread on this forum that compares the dimensions of the two motors to each other... The 1uz-fe is longer and the LS1 is wider....

I defenatly don't agree on that. I measured up an LS1 at speedoncarworks over here in holland because I was afraid of the 1UZ not fitting in an LS1 designed enginebay.

Well My 1992 1UZ is 1.5cm shorter than the LS1 crate engine that he had
1uz measured from Bellhousingface to front of cranckpully
LS1 measured from bellhousingface to front of Waterpump pully (big black one)

so it's defenatly not longer

in the wider department I can only say the following, the LS1 is a little wider but at a lower hightline. I don't know and don't care how wide at which hight so I didn't bother measuring it up,

as per performance, I depends how much money you're willing to spend on both engines to get to e pre-thought power output. and pre-thought relaiability. on both fields the 1uz probably wins in performance per $ from the LS1. BUT givven the LS1 had 1700cc extra, it's fair to say that for semi-huge power the LS1 would give a fair startingpoint.

for me.... NOW WAY! gimme twincams anytime, why? read bill's site on twincams.

grtz Thomas

Sriker - that's funny because I too measured an out of car 5.7L GM crate motor against the 1uz-fe motor...I found the LS1 sized motor to be wider and the 1uz-fe motor to be longer....

This was confirmed by a JBrady post with pictures and comparisons between the two motors.......I will try and find that thread.....

Oh sh*T

you're not saying there are difference's in both of the engines and their variations? I might have 2cm to play with but then the fueltank will interfere with the front engine pulley.... not good!
(note to self ORDER CHASSIS AND BE SURE!)

that would mean there might be additional trouble on fitment in my install.... And I thought that that problem was tackeld...sigh....

please look up the thread I'm very curious why you have different results, I sure hope this will be a difference in measuring up (point to point ?which?)

regards thomas

the first crate ls1 I see will get the thomas treatment!
ie: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5166

ok it's NOT TRUE.

did some measurment at speedon last night.

a stock NEW GM crate LS1 (non truck based) is.
70cm long from bellface to front water puley
56cm high from sump-topintake manifold
60cm wide at widest point of cam covers

a 1uz is
65cm long from bellface to water outlet tube
61cm high from sump-top front waterbridge
66cm wide at widest point of cam covers

I'm safe again.... pfeww!

grtz Thomas

Alright, first post, and on a hot topic to boot!
First off love the forum. Now to business... I am the ultra proud owner of a 94 Celica Gt. I have had her for 10 years now, and she's my baby!. Anyway, I was hit by a drunk about a year ago and have been in the process off rebuilding her since. She is a 2.2 fwd that has been built pretty far as a NA motor. Needless to say it's not enough. A lot of guys are dropping the turbo 3sgte motors in, but I want more. A few brave souls have ventured to v6's, but I want more. Let's go into my situation real quick... I'm in the military, well until July that is. I got hurt and am getting discharged early. This causes a problem, my celica is torn down to the unibody in my garage. I have no time to finish the project I started on my own. So I have been trying to find a shop in North Carolina ( or any other state that is close enough to haul the car to). I have found only one. Cinmotorsports in Charlotte. I want to do a RWD conversion with a much more powerful motor. I suggested to them a 2jzgte, they suggested a LS1. I did some research, and am very impressed with this motor. Dollar for dollar it beats out the 2j in my opinion. This brings me to finding you. Not sure how I did, but lucky for me I did. I would love to stay with a toyota motor and the twin turbo 1u looks like a decent option. I guess I'm just looking for some good advice before I partake in this venture. You can see my car at 6gc.com http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49080&st=0

Single BB Turbo on a 4 UR 460 or 3 UZ FE / Titanium Rods / custom Venolia pistons / Teflon Buttons / Ferra or Manley Valve kit / Vance & Hines race Motorcycle valve springs - keepers - locks / custom cams / Dial-a-Boost digital controls / who knows IRS / - six or eight speed automatic massaged by www.importperformancetrans.com

don't 'bore' the 3uzzie - just a torque plate hone - keep the liners / block strong for boost stability.

Look into Methanol / Water injection for those magic 750HP figures.

The rear is going to be challenging as getting smack to the ground gets freaky over 550HP.

If it is straight lines and drag racing - a solid 4 point rear, 9 inch Ford.

You can set the rear up to handle road racing style curve cutting - and the 9 inch will weigh less than an IRS.

Since this is a maximum effort - I'd go with a tube frame - in goes an 8 point roll cage.

This will tie to the rear end - keep the car from swizzle stick window cracking.

just my .02

and one more thing -

This 5min. allowable time limit to Edit a Post - is a REAL P-I-T-A folks - certainly would be *Nice* to see this 'Feature' deleted - hint / hint :madfawk: HELL_OH ?:flowers1:

My 6 minute final thought is:

Weld the front fenders and hood together for an XKE esque 'Tilt' front end.

Baer 44mm / 40mm piston front calipers - 40mm rear calipers with a balancer.

Source a Road Race coil over front suspension for that Tube Frame.

...Sheesh.!

Ok, I think I should specify want I want out of the car. I would like to have 400 to 500 rwhp with equal torque, rwd conversion, nice handling, SAFE, reliable, daily driver. I will probably go caged with at least 4 point harness, since I will not have any airbags. I was considering using the 1uz because of availability and cost. I have found them from $400 to $1500 which is much less than a LS1. What would be an ideal setup for street driven turbo set up? Single, twin, or NA LS1? I may have to move this to another thread since I am asking more questions than I am giving answers pertaining to the topic. Thanks again.

N/A LS1 would be my choice....Then a boosted 1uz-fe...

With the N/A LS1 you will get less headaches, instant torque with no lag or spool up time, a steady power band, alot more potential later on down the road if you choose to power it up... Lighter in weight then any other above mentioned option...Etc...

He ment me....Don't you know it's blasphemy to speak of GM products over Toyota/Lexus products and especially on a Lexus forum...:crucified:

Anyway, I am still a number 1 fan of the 1uz-fe motors, the smoothe running dual overhead cam tank of a motor for the price is still unbelievable to me...Just a little undersized and underpowered but still the best motor for the money...

The LS1 would still be my choice just because of the weight, power and proven design of that motor for race applications... Many automotive experts would agree with me... It is what it is...