Amazing Engineering

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I gotta give it up to Toyota. Recently I was blessed with a gift. My neighbor gave a cherry 1995 Toyota Previa (Tarago for down under) with a Supercharger. I subscribed to TIS and read most of the mechanical and engine articles.

This Van has a Mid engine configuration. Wow what a great way to optimize the weight distrubution.

It has lower compression for supercharged application along with oil nozzles for the pistons. This 2.4L engine has cast iron block with aluminum head. The supercharger is also intercooled amazing....

Another thing... the supercharger is linked with the serpentine belt. So incase the supercharger belt breaks, the rest of the accessories will still be running. I also noticed the exhuast header is very well designed with high flow compacity. Oh... did I tell this 2TZ-FZE (engine code for supercharged version and 2TZFE is non supercharged) is powered by timing chain? Timing chain will out last more of the mechanical parts. Secondly, the supercharger only comes on when its in mid to high rpm.

The Previa I got has blown head gasket and will be replaced with a low milage Japanese imported motor. This little motor was designed for boost.

Lex, you have very kind neighbors...I may have to move into your neighborhood shortly.:fing02:

So where is the engine located right next to the tranny in the middle or something?.. That is really something, I don't see how it can all be fitted in the middle of a van and then the seating not be affected..

Lower it, boost it some more, and it may end up out motoring and out handling your Cobra one day..:Eyecrazy: ....

John the engine configuration of this car is pretty wierd. You practically sit on the engine.
Lex, is yours the alltrac version? My dad is the alltrac all wheel drive version. He drive it daily to work. This thing is really reliable.

I have a LE Supercharged version 2WD. The engine is layed on its side and its right under the seats. In front of the van are the accessories and the engine is a few feet behind. The van I got was overheated and blew the head gasket. Right now the oil is like a chocolate shake. Getting a used imported engine for about $800 for the supercharged and 550 for the NA version.

I saw a friend of mine servicing one of those at his shop and when I saw where the engine was... I didn't know what to think of it I was so shocked =] How many miles are on the van you have? I would have the head done, valves checked and just put it back on if it were mine. I'm sure the thing will run forever. Toyota makes the best 4cyl ever. I swapped a newer engine into an MR2 with a blown head gasket. It had 450,000 miles and I know it would have driven just fine with the gasket replaced.

Cool van, just slap a new gasket in it and drive! It would be cheap and if you have the heads cleaned up and adjusted it would probably drive like new. Taking the engine apart would be more fun anyhow.

Attachments

• Rod Info.JPG
    Rod Info.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 40
The only problem about displaced engines is they are usually very difficult to get at and work on... When something as simple as changing spark plugs needs to be done it can be as involved as pulling an engine...

Example - My older Nissan 300ZX TT's of the past were a nightmare to work on because of the compact engine and turbo's and that engine was right up in front...Changing plugs cost a fortune...Turbo work would surely break the bank...Etc..Etc..

RV's are a pain to work on too...

I like those difficult to work on vehicles. I especially like RX7's cause as soon as they need work WE (being awesomely intelligent mechanics) can pick them up for near nothing, mwuahaha! :naughty: I think this is exactly the reason we can get LS400's for pretty low prices since mechanics charge a premium to work on them and even more for any parts needed. Rare and hard vehicles to work on are awesome.

Got a 40k-60k motor today and the Van was towed to a shop for the swap. I also got an extra supercharger for $100 and will be play around with the pulley. Perhaps I will make a smaller pulley to increase few psi. From what I have been studying, this little 2.4 liter is just absolutely amazing. It even has an air to air intercooler.

There few chips available and will give 10-30 bhp. I read on the net some guy have a 260 hp Previa. That is pretty awesome.... I was thinking of getting a Subru STi engine and stuff it in.

where are you reading about previa's? i can't find any websites.

anyway... the 2.4L is a tacoma engine on its side. the supercharger is belt driven but it is not on the engine block. it is remotely mounted.

the intercooler is a nice thick unit, similar to the supra tt and mr2 turbo intercooler.

the downside to the supercharger is that, they configured the supercharger to work when you throttle the the engine or when you are accelerating. when you are light cruising the supercharger is disengauged. the problem with this is since the system is designed to work off engine vaccume when you are freeway crusing the supercharger is always engauged due to engine vaccume.

someone i know had a turbocharged previa. he loved it. he always tells me to rip off the supercharger off my dad's and turbo it and i'll love it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/358603 but I am not sure if he is full of it or not. So the 2.4 liter Taco is the same engine? Perhaps i can get same cams too. I have heard this supercharged version also got forged internals. I plan to bypass that vacuum system and drive the supercharger fulltime. I think if I can put a hot wire into one of the two wires that will bypass the whole system and turn the supercharger working fulltime.

man dave, you don't waste any time do you? maybe my mom will give me hers when she gets a new car...haha...i've always loved driving it around...lots of room and great acceleration...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/358603 but I am not sure if he is full of it or not. So the 2.4 liter Taco is the same engine? Perhaps i can get same cams too. I have heard this supercharged version also got forged internal. I plan to bypass that vacuum system and drive the supercharger fulltime. I think if I can put a hot wire into one of the two wires that will bypass the whole system and turn the supercharger working fulltime.

I had one of these and loved it. There is really no need to make the compressor run all the time because it works with a bypass system and a clutched pulley. The moment you hit the gas these two parts do their designed thing and --instant boost. Cruising or high vacuum times are done without the loss from driving the compressor.
I also used one of these blowers to power our E-mod autocross Miata before switching to an M62. Pics of this car can be seen on www.boostedtundras.com in " project cars

previa

where are you reading about previa's? i can't find any websites.

anyway... the 2.4L is a tacoma engine on its side. the supercharger is belt driven but it is not on the engine block. it is remotely mounted.

the intercooler is a nice thick unit, similar to the supra tt and mr2 turbo intercooler.

the downside to the supercharger is that, they configured the supercharger to work when you throttle the the engine or when you are accelerating. when you are light cruising the supercharger is disengauged. the problem with this is since the system is designed to work off engine vaccume when you are freeway crusing the supercharger is always engauged due to engine vaccume.

someone i know had a turbocharged previa. he loved it. he always tells me to rip off the supercharger off my dad's and turbo it and i'll love it.

You are wrong about the vacuum. The supercharger engages when there is a LACK of vacuum--IE. when you hit the gas pedal,otherwise during cruising (high vacuum) the supercharger is dis-engaged.

You should get one of those supercharged 2 Litre 6 cylinder engines that Toyota make !!
I have seen a couple of them in a Crown wagon , would be very smooth .
Imagine how that would sound at 8000 RPM !!

Fitting an engine under the Van is very hard. Not much verticle space. What would be really cool would be a 2JZGTE with 6 speed laying on its side.

I see those previa's come up all the time in the auctions here. There is one with the plate mobvan on it in christchurch, its all lowered and tinted out windows, makes quite a bit of noise but seems to go pretty well.

Would there be room to fit a lexus v8 into one?? lol hmmm

No room for V8. However about the mobvan. Its true! In Hong Kong and Japan those street gang leaders use them to conduct business. So if you see a fully tinted with black paint along with some rims...... Watch out and stay away.

Some new things I found about this van is the mid-engine configuration allow almost perfect weight distrubution.

If you don't mind me asking, how would oil lubrication work if an engine was turned on its side? You'd have to relocate the pan and pickup somehow I suppose? Seems like it'd be costly.

Here are a few pictures of the van. www.toyovans.com/turboprevia.html The turbo project is on a pause because the wife is not too happy with me turboing everything i drive. LOL So to respect her decision, the project is siezed.
Previa_Intercooler%20001.jpg