Standalone ECU AEM EMS driving UZ's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
1UZ VVTi Running Successfully on an AEM EMS

I have recently gotten a Twin Turbo 1UZ VVTi running successfully on an AEM EMS in a '00 GS400. The AEM EMS is controlling fuel, timing, VVTi, and ACIS among other things. Stock ECU is still controlling the DBW throttle and the 5sp auto tranny. (cruise and a/c work perfectly)

If anyone is looking to do a similar project, let me know and I can assist with wiring, hardware mods, and software calibration setup questions.

Mitch, I would love to have a base map, especially one that includes the vvti maps. I'll be using a cable driven throttle and 6 manual tranny, so no worries there for me.

1UZ VVTi

An AEM should be able to run a 5.7L except that the AEM can only control 2 variable cams so all 4 cams on the 5.7L couldn't be completely controlled with it. You could control the two intake cams and leave the exhausts to the stock ECU or some other arrangements.

Attached is a calibration that you can start from. Everything with the VVTi is setup, you just need to populate the cam angle tables when you dyno it. (5-60 degree range, 5 being most advanced) The left cam sensor must go to the Cam input, right cam sensor must go to the VSS input. The left VVTi solenoid must go to the Inj 9 output and the right VVTi solenoid must go to the Inj 10 output. ACIS is setup on the LS1 output.

Finally someone junp into the plug and play for the Soarer. Is that mean it will work on LHD SC400? Might be hard to find a good Wolf programer in our area.

This is some great stuff right here. Very pioneering, helpful, and kick ass!
I am debating on selling my Split second setup, and manning up to an AEM standalone... I think it must be done. Please figure out the perfect Coil-on-plug setup for the EARLY 1UZ's! Thanks guys*

Finally someone junp into the plug and play for the Soarer. Is that mean it will work on LHD SC400? Might be hard to find a good Wolf programer in our area.

If the Pinout on the LHD soarer is the same as the pic (RHD)it will work.

Guessing it would. Apexi safc etc use the same wiring diag all over the world.

David, talk to Joel (Jordy's Ski Boat). I think he's an authority on the Wolf units. IIRC their earlier generations had a bad rep for being overly sensitive to noise on their inputs? Joel ought to be able to confirm or dispel that point, but hopefully the latest generation V500 has sorted that problem.

BTW, the AEM has always had the capability to control the Supra's A/T

I have recently gotten a Twin Turbo 1UZ VVTi running successfully on an AEM EMS in a '00 GS400. The AEM EMS is controlling fuel, timing, VVTi, and ACIS among other things. Stock ECU is still controlling the DBW throttle and the 5sp auto tranny. (cruise and a/c work perfectly)

If anyone is looking to do a similar project, let me know and I can assist with wiring, hardware mods, and software calibration setup questions.

Which AEM did you use to do this?

How did you work out the 8 COP's? Pair them together or go waste-spark with double-ended coils?

I've got an IS300 I'm working towards putting an 1UZ VVTi in.

Thanks,

ALan

Attachments

• 99.JPG
    99.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 360
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 101.JPG
    101.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 102.JPG
    102.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 341
  • 103.JPG
    103.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 104.JPG
    104.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 105.JPG
    105.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 106.JPG
    106.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 330
I used an AEM 30-1050 EMS (OBDII Honda application - inexpensive and ECU mating connectors and terminal available from AEM) wired into an Autosport Wiring patch harness between the stock ECU and harness. The stock coils are triggered in a wasted spark fashion since the EMS only has 5 coil outputs.

The 2nd gen AEM EMS, that will hopefully be out soon, has 8 coil outputs so you could run sequential ignition if you want, along with 12 injector outputs instead of only 10.

Interesting.

Honda AEM gets used for everything!

I'm looking into the 2nd Gen AEM. Good looking unit as far as features. If pricing stays about the same it'll be a better competitor in the market.

Are you going to have as much 'inner workings knowledge' with this one as the 1st Gen unit?

ALan

The 2nd Gen AEM25 EMS uses the same PC software as the current AEM15 and the firmware/calibration format is the same except for added coil & injector outputs and some other differences like a frequency center for the improved knock sensor hardware interface and 4 cam control instead of just two. If you're familiar with the current AEM15, the AEM25 is just as easy to use and you should be able to convert an AEM15 calibration to AEM25 specs without too much trouble.

I finally got around to getting the 30-1100 AEM EMS installed and fully sorted on my own personally daily driven 1992 SC400 the other day.

Total physical installation time, including the EMS, 3.5 bar MAP sensor and dual widebands took approximately 1.5 hrs. (wideband sensor install and wire routing took most of that time.) I then spent an additional 3 hours getting the engine started, timing synchronized, fuel table close enough to drive (since it now has WB's, didn't before when I had it running a while back) and sorting out all the transmission control settings and testing it with the back of the car up on jack stands. (FYI, the setup of the gear position input (from the shift lever) in the EMS is a little confusing so if anyone needs assistance setting it up, let me know.)

The engine runs pretty good (throttle response is better than stock IMO) with the guessimate timing table I put in (30 degrees total timing at WOT) and getting the fuel map dialed in based off WB sensor readings - 12.8 AFR at WOT, 15.0 at cruise and values inbetween at part throttle.

The AEM's O2 feedback controls the fueling to each bank independently and allows you to run the engine at your desired AFR even though the fuel map is way off. Found that bank to bank O2 differences are less than 2% in most case which is a good thing. Datalogging the % fuel correction that the O2 FB makes allows you to make changes to the fuel map quickly to get it dialed in. While driving around now, the O2 corrections are now less then 2-3% under all engine running conditions.

The best part of this, IMO, is not the engine control but the transmission control. I was less than happy with the shift programming of the stock ECU and now the car now has the shift points setup for a more aggressive driving style. The shift table still needs a little work in some of the part throttle ranges but overall I've got it to where I am happy with it and the difference is night and day as compared to stock. With some adjustment, I've gotten the shifts to be a bit firmer than stock but not kidney killing harsh and the down/upshift time is greatly reduced compared with stock.

Once I get back from Xmas vacation, I will be taking the car to the dyno for final tuning and back to back comparison with the stock ECU. Will post up results and calibration setting here along with some photos and maybe a video or two.

Mitch,

Let me know when and where you will be dynoing. I would like to be there. I know a place where you might able to do it for free. PM me.

Wow Mitch this is really good stuff! I never dreamed you could control the transmission. I hated how my auto shifted! Cant wait till I ready for you to tune mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG