Standalone ECU AEM EMS driving UZ's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I must say, I am a little ticked with this post. I wanted to be the first to get this working, and you beat me to it.

Oh well.

Mike, why not just use a different igniter? Would be pretty easy to wire up a rising edge.

Wiring in an igniter would be easy but the mod to the EMS is even easier. Also, the mod is easily reversible and you don't need to add another piece of hardware that could possibly fail or be wired in incorrectly. Now that I've done it once, the mod would only take about 4 minutes to do all involved, I can't say that for wiring in an igniter.

Yeah, but what if I don't want to void my warranty.

Also, if you want to go COP, you need a different igniter anyway. Do you know if tundra igniters are rising edge? They are an 8 channel igniter and you can get them fairly cheap.

Hey question for you though.

My 30-1100 is pretty new. I have been told that there is a jumper in the newer ones for HALL sensors. Is that true? I haven't check to see.

That's true about the warrenty so I could see why you'd want to put an igniter in instead of making the mod to the EMS. 2 N/A 2JZ single channel igniters would probably work as the 30-1100/30-1101 is already setup to trigger them correctly.

As far as COP's go, you do not need to add an igniter if using coils with them built in. Most of the newer four wire Toyota/Lexus coils just need a 0-5V falling edge signal to trigger the igniter that's built into the coil. Other late model coils from other manufactures are much the same - Nissan VQ, QR, VK, Honda K, GM LS1, Subaru EJ, etc... I'm currently researching some coils to see if they will fit a 1UZ to make a changeover to COP's that much easier. I will let people know what will work as soon as I'm done with research and testing.

There's no jumper in the 30-110X EMS to switch from mag to hall sensors, a hardware mod would be required. Other newer designed EMS's do have these jumpers - like the 30-1050. There's actually only one jumper that changes the tach output, which is the difference between the 30-1100 and 30-1101 EMS's.

Great info thanks. I think for the case of cheaper COP, I would rather just stick to an external igniter. 300M coils will plug right into the 2JZ harness, among other things, so getting connectors would be pretty easy, and then there are CBR coils, 2J coils. Lots of coils that can be used, and cheap to boot.

Also, if you are running a coil/igniter combo, you will not be able to use any devices such as the HKS DLI or AEM C2DI.

So the only difference between the 1100 and the 1101 is the tach output? That is lame, doesn't seem like it is worth it to have different part numbers.

BTW, my 1100 works great for tach output on my N/A.

You mentioned the tranny wires were different. Probably just the fact that the TT tranny uses switched ground on some of the solenoids instead of switched power, or was there other problems? I looked at the pinouts on 1UZ vs 2JZ and they were pretty much plug'n'play, but I haven't checked the transmission part.....yet.

Depending on which coils you choose, COP's with built in igniters may be cheaper if you take into account the cost of the igniter. Plus, it makes a more reliable system because there is less wiring connections and modules that could go bad in the system. If an external igniter is not mounted correctly, it can overheat and fail very quickly.

Based off my experience running multiple VQ35DE engines wasted spark, the VQ coils are good for up to at least 700whp on a V8, maybe more, so you wouldn't have to go to an ignition amplifier until you get up to that power level. Other late model COP's with ignitors built in have similar energy output. Plus, HKS makes DLI's with plug and play harnesses for these type of coils if you find that you need additional ignition energy.

I'm still working out the tranny. The shifter calibration is different; spent time setting it up correctly last night. The power/norm switch doesn't quite work as it should as I believe that the Supra "manual" button is a momentary switch where as on the SC400 it's a toggle switch. Because of this, you have to flip the power/norm switch twice to switch between manual and auto modes on the EMS. Power to norm and back to power to turn on manual mode, power to norm and back to power to turn off manual mode. Additionally, there's no manual light like Supra has so I'm using the CEL light for this right now. The TT Supra has an "engagement speed" output from the ECU for the trans where the SC does not. My SC is an early '92 ('91 build date) so that may explain why it's different.

Hopefully I will have the tranny all sorted out soon so I can go to the dyno and tune it.

I stand corrected. 2UZ's do not use a seperate igniter module. Probably would have to run a dual igniter setup....or run them built into the coil.

I would say, if you keep your stock igntion, get some 2JZGE igniters. They will plug right in if you file down the alignment grooves. I know the igniters talk to each other, but it is through the tach signal, so I am not 100% sure that would work.

I finally have a dual UEGO controller for my SC so now I can start tuning the engine. I should have the UEGO's and my MAP sensor (AEM 3.5bar) plumbed and wired in this week so I should have a drivable map sometime this week. Probably will go to the dyno soon afterwards for some numbers and fine tuning.

No progress to report yet - been spending most of my time working on my RB25 powered 240SX - redoing the entire wiring harness on the car so it's not a 3 hour job. Hopefully I will have it going in the next couple days or so.

Once the 240 is going, I'll have another car to drive and then can get the WB's and MAP sensor in the SC and spend time getting everything with the EMS worked out without the fear of not having any transportation - SC is my only car that move under it's own power currently.

When you say "close" do you mean in three days close or three weeks close???

OK, so you're not too close. I should have everything setup and tested by then. Give me a couple weeks here to get it going.

hey guys, been working on the supercharged 1UZ E46. got the car running w/ the AEM. also the trans shifts just fine. we have an IPT valve body in the trans and a converter from Lex. so far so good. right now we are putting in a skyline GTS diff w/ LSD (4.10) the stock BMW is to conservative. I know I have promise some pics, but I wanted the car to be finished first. soon I'll post the pics.

thanks,
mauioo7