Standalone ECU AEM EMS driving UZ's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Red Supra

I'm pretty partial to the AEM EMS. I have been around it since it's release few years back and i think it's a very capable ECU. I wanted to have a central knowledgebase of the various AEM ecu's that could be used to run *UZ engines without having to splice the main engine harness, along with any other helpfull information that other members have been keeping to themselves.

It appears that for all non-vvti 1uz-fe's the NA Supra EMS would be best.
Both Non Turbo Supra and most non-vvti powered 1uz's use a similar, if not identical igniton coil and both use non intellegent transmissions.

Lextreme has recived PDF's from me. Use the content at the following links for help.

MKIV Toyota Supra Wiring diagram located on www.mkiv.com:
http://www.mkiv.com/manual/1995_electrical_manual/index.html

AEM EMS Plug n Play Software and Diagrams:
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/files/AEMRelease050502.EXE (44.1 MB)

I dont know much about stand alone. I asked a long time Supra friend of mine (Dean M.) and he personally contacted AEM about the stand alone on 1uzfe. I remember he stated there will be slight difficulty with the igintion system. Something have to do with spark.

I love to see AEM on 1UZFE and please do post on this thread and build up a database.

RedSupra, when you mean pinout, so you mean the actual pin locations on the EMS connector are 90% the same as well? I have not compared the electrical diagrams yet.

Lex, it's very unlikely we'll get a lot of official support from AEM; however, we have some backdoors to open should we need some help. Some of the things I expect to tackle:

Ignition: We'll need to use wasted spark on the later 1UZ motors. You can use non-wasted spark on the motors with distributors. The coil on plugs on the later 1UZ's take a logic "high" signal, and that's exactly what the AEM uses. On the early 1UZ motors, we'll need to use an existing ignitor. I assume the early 1UZ cars have this.

Injecotrs: Sounds like most 1UZ injectors (stock) are high impedance, which is what the AEM can do natively. If you are using low imedance, you'll need a resistor pack. You can get these from Supras or probably Hondas.

Wiring: If you want to convert an early 1UZ to fully sequential, you'll need to add some wires to fire each injector individually. I can't remember if these motors batch 2 or 4 injecotrs together. Same goes for distributorless igntion.

My plan is to use an early SC400 harness on a 98 vvti motor. I'll need to add 2 or 4 wires for sequential injection and two more wires for ignition. I'll also have to add at least 6 wires for vvti: 2 sets of shielded wires for the extra cam sensors and 2 more wires to PWM the actuator that controls oil pressure to the variable cam gears.

You need to convert your harness to a 2jz gte harness plug. One of the things you can do would be to get a Fields harness(has 2jz-gte ecu plugs on both ends) and splice it into the stock LS400 harness. After all that is done, plug in your #30-1100 2jz aem ecu and load up the map. I would recommend converting to speed density!

http://www.autosportwiring.com/images/Toyota MKIV Supra.jpg

Maybe autosport wiring can make a plug and play harness that would convert the ls400 ecu plugs into the 2jz ecu plugs. Some pins will have to be moved around. Autosport may even do that as well.

Check em out!

Turboandrew,
Yes about 85% of the pins are located in the right spot already on the sc400 usdm harness if you were to use the 2jz(#30-1100) aem ecu. Wiring will be the easy part. Making the map and setting cam/crank sync, ignition drivers would be the harder part.
I got a complete(supposedly) 1996 SC400 motor/trans/harness/ecu coming next week. I will be able to covert it over to aem asap!

Red,

Would the 30-1101 work on the SC400? I can use a SC300 harness and wire it up. Its much easier to get a SC300 wire harness then a Supra 2JZGTE wire harness.

If i use SC300 harness then i can use 30-1101
If i use 2JZGTE harness then i can use 30-1100

it would be hard to get an AEM thats made for a specific motor to work with a motor that has 2 more cylinders. Its almost impossible to wire up an AEM from a 91 MR2 to work with a 98 motor even though every wire is nearly the same. I would suggest using an AEM universial box, it requires a lot more programming and has no base maps, you must just find someone thats good/great with AEM programming and patient enough to make it work and wire it up.

jeff

Beg to differ; I have a basic cal file for the 1UZ V8 to run on the Supra L6 PnP box.

Most everything to do with firing order, extra cylinders, etc. is soft-coded in the AEM, so if you want to run 2 more cylinders and/or change the firing order around, and you have the spare injector and ignition drivers to do it, it shouldn't be that tough to do. Caveat: We haven't actually done it yet!

I really think the issues here will be the wiring, not the box itself, but they'd be the same or worse issues if you started with the Universal box. At least with a Supra box and Supra harness (or SC400 harness) the connectors are going to fit the ECU, and most of the sensors/outputs out on the motor.

One hurdle may be getting the Supra box with its 2.5v to 5.0v igniter triggers setup to trigger the 1UZ igniters. Anyone know what signal levels are necessary for the 1UZ VVTi COP's and/or the 2UZ COP's? Even if the Supra box's triggers aren't correct, there are AEM "sanctioned" mods that can be done to the output transistors to get their trigger levels correct.

John

which has been the easiest to install of those three? Ive known of some people in the MR2 realm that have used the autronic for a decade now. They seem to be easy to install and tune baseline. what is the hardest thing to install with the autronic and the whatnots?

jeff