Standalone ECU AEM EMS driving UZ's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
So I finally got around to putting the AEM back in the car.

I got the thing running pretty good so far, but I am noticing that if the battery doesn't have a full charge, I do not get a cam and crank signal, and the car won't start. Not sure how I am going to get around this as it will leave me stranded if I don't get it fixed.

Can't wait to mess with it a little bit more and continue upping the timing. Right now I got it up to 30 degrees from -10psi to 6psi and 2800rpm to 6000rpm.

All I have done to get it working was disconnect O2 sensors, tap the MAP sensor into AFM and re-pinned 1 wire on the ECU, and replaced the stock igniters for 2JZGE igniters.

Well, found out you need to disconnect the cold start injector. Was flooding my engine and making it super hard to start.

Got about 100 miles on the setup and getting everything all dialed in.

I have always hated the stock redline and stock shiftpoints, which now I control. I now have an 8,000 RPM redline and it sounds awesome. I wonder how well this engine would take 10,000 RPM:approve:. Problem is, now the supercharger is spinning at probably around 16,000 RPM, which is way past the effeciency range, and I mean WAY past.

Still playing with the timing, but it definatly pulls quite a bit harder than before. Next mod....getting rid of the M90 and getting an M112.

I used EMS Stinger 4424 on my 1UZ-FE 1992 engine.
Used std igniter's, injectors and cam and crank sensors.
Had problems with uridium and other 100,000km plugs
Just put in std NGK's in and all good.
Had a problem with a wire coming loose from the EMS supplied Computer plug and would recommend soldering everywhere!
I haven't set up idle speed.
I am happy with it so far.

Have a box i got somewhere that controls the gearbox with a 2 way switch.

Hey Guys,

Just noticed I turned 230,000 miles on my SC this past week. So, that means I have been running the AEM EMS for about 15,000 miles thus far.

I haven't run into any issues running the AEM. I have had some typical 1UZ issues that are not related -leaky PS pump that killed an alternator and the driver's side coil dying. Thankfully, I had my laptop with me when the coil died and was able to turn off the injectors on the effected cylinders and drove home on 4 cylinders with no problems. I was surprised how well it ran on 4 cylinders, even making it up over the hill on the 101 from North Hollywood to Downtown without much problem. The exhaust and intake sounded very interesting too.

I have been running an AEM Gen2 box for the last few months. I really like the USB connection and the fact that the gear shift and torque converter lockup now has separate tables for when the engine is accelerating and decelerating. (4 tables total) That has helped out drivablity in regards to the trans quite a bit - really smooths things out on the downshifts when coming to a stop. The improved ignition retard on upshifts has also smoothed thing out a bit too.

I also have dyno sheet from the car here somewhere that I will post when I get a chance.

-MP

Here's dyno sheet - Dynojet w/o load control, 3rd gear pull, TC locked, CA91, AEM Gen 2 ECU, 3.5" CAI, 2 1/4" straight pipe axle back.

Attachments

• MP SC400 Dyno.jpg
    MP SC400 Dyno.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
hey mitch
I tried running our LS400 on a gen2 ECU and it really did NOT work out. The software was crappy and buggy. You change some settings, then save, then restart and the settings are gone. It had all kind of spontaneous malfunctions. What firmware/software were you using?

Hi Arnout,

I'm running the 01V11 current released version of firmware. Using both AEMTuner and AEMPro. I go back to AEMPro when I get sick of the AEMTuner bugs and crashes. To use the Gen2 with AEMPro, I just installed the AEM25 Gin file. (ECU->Install ECU, point to 01V11 Gin file in the AEMTuner Gin files directory)

I am running an Gen 2 AEM25 main board on a mod'd 30-1100 Gen 1 adaptor board. Have not tried using a complete 30-6100 box on my car yet.

If you restart the EMS and changes revert back, you need to make sure the option "AutoEE" is turned on, otherwise the calibration changes don't get saved to the ECU. (1st Gen AEM15's are the same way)

-MP

Also, I'm currently working on an adapter harness which allows me to run the JDM Soarer digital dash in my SC400. Taking a while to do because Soarer diagrams I have are in Japanese!

Hey Mitch, this is going to be way far out for me, but do you plan to offer a service for us uz guys that want to go ems?

ihiryu, Mitch has been to Houston twice already for my build, and will be coming probably at least twice more, depending on dyno results. If you'd want to bring your car over during one of the next sessions, I'm sure we could work something out.

Mitch,
I have to check what firmware + software I was running but it really was working on my nerves. It was like a month or two ago and we were finally getting the LS400 turbo (of fasteddie) ready. The software crashed once in a while and sometimes it saved items sometimes it didn't. Sometimes items went back to stock and sometimes they didn't. It was all a big mess and we took the AEM2 out and installed an AEM 1 with peak and hold driver.
Why are you using the old plug and play board? The newer version has a lot better drivers what I found out. It has a lot of P&H drivers, not only for the injectors but also for solenoids for the automatic transmission.

cribbj, that's the thing the car i'm looking to go EMS is going to be my MKIII, I just got my mounts, but there's a few other things I need to work out (going 5 speed) I just wanted to know for future reference, also let me know, I'll be willing to drive down that way to take a look see (I'm over by Austin)

Steve

ihiryu, I already provide EMS services on a daily basis for a variety of cars, including uz powered ones, so i can provide assistance with your project.

Arnout, I had a Gen2 on the old 1100 board before the new 6100 was even prototyped. I was assisting them with testing, specifically the auto trans functionality and stepper idle control during main board development. The peak and hold drivers and other new features of the ecu are nice but I really don't have a need for those features for my car as it's pretty close to stock.

i will be trying to install a 1uz into a mk3 supra. i have a 1990 T supra with the aem and it runs great. i have wired the 7m for sequential injection and installed a 3 channel ignitor to get rid of multiplex. A great improvement.

i want to ask if i can wire the 7m harness onto the 1uz, wire up sequential injection, and use 4 waste spark coils. i would of course need to know how the change the map for this and inj and ign phasing numbers. i plan to run the oem LS400 transmission if possible.

also can the 1uz cam and crank sensors be wired into the mk3 1990 aem box? what would need to be done there?

this seems to be the only aem 1uz thread i have found.
thanks for any help.

Last edited: