86 MKII Supra - Turbo 1UZ Build

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MKII_Supra

Hello all!

I have been stalking these forums for some time, always conceiving the idea of replacing my tired 6MGTE turbo motor with a 1UZ. I was able to find a buyer for my old motor, and now have the funds to start my new project! More about my 86 MA61 MKII Supra can be seen through the links in my signature. A quick glimpse at my car:

IMG_7620.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

I pulled my old motor, which had alot of custom fab and parts done by myself:

IMG_8488.jpg

IMG_8453.jpg

I was running Megasquirt II with 7M 440cc injectors, ct461 (61mm) hybrid turbo, and tons of other goodies. It made good power and noises, but I felt the need for something with a more responsive torque curve and better parts availability.

I recently purchased an 80K mile 1uzfe from a 95 LS400, and it is proving to be quite virgin upon inspection:

IMG_8652.jpg

IMG_8705.jpg

IMG_8718.jpg

The plan is to go single turbo as of now. I am no stranger to standalones, wiring, or fab work (as you can see), so I look forward to the challenge. I was very happy with the Megasquirt II on my previous engine, so the plan is to continue to use it with EDIS-8 and a set of cleaned and balanced 440's. I am scouting for pre-95 rods, but will most likely fab the car up as is without touching the internals of the motor for now. I am looking for a decent low end response turbo, but something that will let me gently cruise without the need to be in boost at a mere touch of the throttle (to keep some economy). The current contender is a Borg Warner S300sx3 with a .91 divided housing, this should get me the response and power I want, even though a little low in the turbo's efficiency.

I am aiming for a modest 350-400 streetable HP. I am purchasing the full w58-1UZ rig from Quantum-Auto, and have mounts lined up to fit in my MA61 engine bay. Any more power, and I am not worried about the motor or trans hurting, but the suspension and chassis on the car. These cars weren't built to quadruple their original power levels!

I will be stalking and asking Q's here and there. I have PM'd lextreme about acquiring a 36 tooth wheel (to modify to 36-1) that is needed for EDIS-8. I will most likely also be selling the stock harness (almost entirely complete) and most electronics/emissions equipment from the engine, so PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for looking!

-Mike O'Brien

Last edited:
Mike, welcome to Lextreme!

I have briefly reviewed your build thread and your attention to detail is impressive. Great work. I am certain you will create an equally impressive V8 build. I look forward to seeing your 1UZFE transformation on your Supra.

That's a nice 5M, hopefully it goes to a cool old school engine bay somewhere.

If your HP goals are at the flywheel, you will struggle to make that little power :) It'll do that easy. On a measly 6.5psi mine made 355hp at the rear wheels.....that power/torque destroyed the W58 in short order by the way ;)