8 inch rear end beef-up

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

andrew k.

Does anyone know of a source for parts to increase the strength of a Toyota 8 inch rear end? It is installed stock in the 2wd truck (turbo-diesel and V-6) as well as maybe the 76-95 Celica, Supra and 4-Runner. I need to have it stong enough for 500-600 ft/lbs torque. I do not want to change it out for a Ford 9 inch if I don't have to. It might be as simple as something the Supra people already are doing.

Thanks.

the hilux diff is only installed in the rear or hilux's or hiaces.

the supra's celica's used a smaller diff.

are you blowing diffs now?

if so what parts? crown wheels and pinons, axles?

then we can offer up some advice

bubs,
I might be overreacting but here are the details. I am in the middle of a transplant of a 1UZ into a Toyota Prerunner (Hilux) and fear that the stock rear end will not hold up to 500 plus ft/lbs torque that the engine will be able to produce.
As far as I know it is an 8 inch Toyota rear end that would be about as strong as the Dana 44. The truck weighs 1700 kg, has a diff of 3.583, 325x40Rx22 tires with a R151F 5 speed (4.313 first gear). Whatever I end up with for a rear end will be held with a 4 bar suspension and coil over springs, leaf springs removed. I believe that the R151F tranny will hold up to 500 ft/lbs but the rear (I think) is only good for about 350 or so. I am trying to find the bits and pieces to make what I have installed strong enough rather than a change out to a 9 inch. Any information or guidence is appreciated.

Justin,
I will return to the correct thread for this. Thank you very much for the information I do have a G series center with LSD stock from Toyota. It is the 8 inch V-6/4cyl turbo rear end from what I understand. I have had a conversation with Eric at River City Differentials (Rancho Cordova California) and he has said that the rear end will stand up very well. With the advise from you and Eric I feel as though I can get by with what I already have. Also I will add a four bar with coil over and get rid of the leafsprings, should help. Thanks again.

Justin,
You are probably going to be just fine with the V6 version gearset and housing. If you do find you are breaking gears, which is common with even a 22re, big meats, and low gearing, you could try a set of Cryogenically treated gears from BobbyLong- www.longfieldsuperaxles.com I use them and they seem to hold up considerably better to abuse. He also sells upgrade inner axles that you may benefit from. Also use a solid pinion spacer on next rebuild.
Have fun,
aaron

i'm not exactly sure what's going on here
i just woke up and kinda only read the title of your post
i'm building something to handle a 1uz
i'm using a 4 runner axle complete and from there shortening it for my purpose
I'm also using an mk3 supra lsd and rear brakes of the independant spindles
i'll also have my axles drilled out to have a 5x114.3 bol pattern and have custom plates made so that i can use the stock supra floating calipers.
I know that this rear is gonna be good for a fair amount of power. I'm guessing that i'll never even need it for what i'll be making in the future.
After it goes in this year and I save some money for next year or the year after.. i'll do something to add some power hopefully.. and i'm VERY confident that my rear will hold up. If it blows i'll be REALLY surprised
also
are you going to be dumping the clutch each chance you get?
every time you get into the car?
will your car live nothing but a life of hard launching and hard launching?
that's about the only fear i'de have
anyway
hope it works out for you!
check 4x4wire.com and search up the supra lsd into 4 runner rear.. it should come up with something!