6 Speed Gearbox Options

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Vantage8

Firstly, love this forum! Has been of much help to me already and I haven't even picked up a spanner! I am putting a 1uz-fe into a Rover SD1 track day special :smlove2:, and would like to hear any advice on 6 speed manual options. The Tremec is readily available here in Oz, but doesn't have great ratio's, and the 200SX g/box is weak:eek:uch:. The Supra box appears the best option, yet is very expensive. I was wondering about the 6 speed g/box from the IS200. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanx!!!
icon10.gif

Hi mate, im puting a 1UZ in my IS200 and im takeing out my old 6 speed box as its not up to the job, and replaceing it with R154 out of the old turbo supra.

Thanks for that info. :no: I suspected as much, however I had hoped that the new Toyota g/boxes would be as strong as the old ones. Maybe I will have to settle for 5 speeds after all. Ta!!!!:happysad:

A 6 speed g/box is one of those wish-list items that may or may not be practical, physically or financially, but if one doesn't ask the questions, one doesn't get no answers.(Mick Jagger?). I will do some more research into Supra ratio sets in the meantime. Or... see if I can find a cheap Tremec when the time comes......
icon12.gif
Ta !

FWIW, the Lexus IS200 box and the S15 200SX 6 speeds are the same box, and not strong enough in my opinion to take the torque of a 1UZ. Go for the R154, or whore yourself on the street corner for a Supra V16x series 6 speed box.

Yeah, same box (IS200, S15 200sx, S2000). Its called the J160, Junior to the V160. I bought one of these thinking it was a V160 as i had never heard of another 6 speed (tremec in toyota cars), how wrong i was. These boxes are terrible. They are small (physically) which gives its strength away right there! They have an intergrated front bellhousing (non-removable bell [have to remove the front section of the g/b]) which make mating purposes harder if you were going the CRS/Dellow options etc etc. As much as it pains me to say it, I spent $1000 buying mine, then ended up swapping it for a freshly re-conditioned later model (aka steel sandwhich plate) W58. Which i sold for only $600. I have now gone down the R154 route, was lucky to bring one back from the USA ($700 inc shipping to Aust.) when i went over on holidays 2 years back. I feel these boxes are up to a lot more power (will probably still break it to) compared to J160/W5x. R154 is also a lot more affordable than a V160 or any other 6 speed on the Aust. market.

Just my opinion...

Judd.

My oppinion is if you want 6sp, go with a Tremic T56. The V160 is a good box and all, but the unless you have a low 3.XX or lower (tall) final gear, first is pointless is pointless in them (Very short / low gear) and not fun to drive in traffic with a low (numerically high) final gear (constantly shifting).

I just installed on (V160) into in MKIV supra (NA-T car). It took the guy a week before he called me back and asked me how much it would cost for me to swap his rear end with a Turbo 6sp rear.........