1UZFE Vs. 2UZFE Redline

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Anyone have any experience with the 2UZFE redline? I think its much lower then the 1uzfe. The 1uz is at 6,200 rpm and the 2uz is in the mid or low 5,000. Its only about .06" stroke difference. Perhaps the 2uz pistons are little heavier. However, the 2uzfe rods are lighter. What will happen if 1uzfe crank is use in 2uzfe block? Would the 2uzfe redline like the 1uzfe?

i would think so - but you would want to make use of some serious FI to take advantage of the shorter stroke and larger piston crown area.

i wouldn;t bother unless you have those bits lying around - which you of all people probably would!!!

I want the cubic and stronger block but at the same time I also want the rev too. The 1uzfe and 2uzfe crank is almost identical except for the stroke.

Factory redline has very little to do with potential of the engine. Both of those strokes are good to 8000 rpm with the right rods and valvetrain.

you could just use the 2UZ crank and some much lighter pistons and rods, while still keeping the displacement. you can take a 4.7L V8 up to more than 8000 RPM. If Koenigsegg does it for the CCR, then you can do it for your project.

David, the 2uzfe is redlined at 5300 and shifts at 5300 in my Tundra. Probably a function of it being a truck and cams designed more for low end torque than high end hp. Bottom end is kinda shaky also with a forged crank, really skinny rods and cast pistons that won't take a lot of abuse. My resurrected engine cam profile will be a lot different (.354 lift, 208 duration at .050 and 110/112 intake and exhaust LC) as well as a beefy bottom end, so I am looking at 7K as a reasonable redline for the new one.

Wayne

Very nice Wayne..... Give us more update on your block. I need to post your ceramic coated turbo. My computer is running out of space and i got an external harddrive and its a pain sometime.

Workin' at it

Just got off the phone with my machinist and we are moving along...he had to make a torque plate to fit the 2uzfe so he could bore the block under the stress of the head bolts. That is complete, and he has intalled and torqued the mains and bearings to get measurements and installed, torqued, and measured the rod bearings to get clearance info. After boring, he will machine the crank. Chevy rods are always offset a little bit, so we are going to assemble and make sure there is plenty of room for everything in the bottom end. I am on my way to Japan for a couple of weeks and should have some pics of the process while I am gone and will send them to you. Sent the heads off to Calico Coatings to get the chambers and exhaust runners coated (already had the valves done) and they damaged the chambers in shipping, so I had to send them back to get repaired. Cams should be back from CA very soon. Am going to use MR2 solid buckets instead of the Tundra buckets and shims. That way, I can measure the clearance, order the correct thickness bucket and not worry about flying shims at 7,000 rpm's....:eek:) I'm still mulling over what I need or want to do with the engine and transmission control, so if anyone has experience or suggestions that might work with the Tundra, please jump in. Will update when I get more.

FYI:

This is Rytherwr's Insane Green Machine www.lextreme.com/tundra.html
Why insane?
Complete build motor with coating everywhere. Yes, everywhere! ARP Studs all over and custom fuel rail plus Supercharged, Turbocharged and NOS all in one truck. Wayne, the only way to find out how insane your truck will be is to meet me somewhere in Texas and we can have a shoot out between IGM and SC470TT in a year or so. I know u will eat me alive...lol....

Sounds like a plan

That sounds like a plan, David...of course, you being the inscrutable Oriental, you will probably have your SC470TT running 8's in the quarter but have all your child seats in there and pretend it is a 'family wagon'....:slaphappy :slaphappy the ultimate sleeper.

What makes a redline point in an engine?

Is it the cam lift only? The 1uz-fe family has a pretty good redline point, so more cam lift would increase the rev's right? When you install performance cams with increased lift do you loose lowend torque?

Jibby, the first limiting factor for high rpm is the valve spring..at some point in the upper rpm scale , it will not be able to keep the cam follower (in the case of overhead cam engines) or lifters (in the case of internal cam engines) on the lobe of the camshaft. when that happens, the valves will start 'floating' or just touching the high points of the camshaft which essentially leaves them in an open condition all the time....at that point, strange things start happening. The second issue for prolonged high rpm is rod bolt strength, then rod strength, piston strength and lastly crankshaft strength...pretty much in that order.

Wayne

Interesting... Thanks for the break down Wayne....Lex, that is drag monster for sure and boy does that thing rev... 9,000 rpm's is sick!!!!!

Attachments

• tran8.JPG
    tran8.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 8
  • tran9.JPG
    tran9.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 9
  • tran10.JPG
    tran10.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 5
  • tran11.JPG
    tran11.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 5
Here goes a question for any 1uz-fe experts, why are Maajola's and the monster 1uz-fe dragster valves not floating at those peak rpm's?

Did they do something special to the cams, lobes or lifters to make that not happen at 8500-9000rpms?

Is Maajola using the stock rods? Also isn't there a rev cut off limit when running the stock ECU's?