1uzfe to gen 6 Celica?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Celica94

Hi all. I'm aware of the 1mzfe conversions for this model, (st202) but to my knowledge no one has fitted a 1uzfe. I know V8 and fwd is not considered a good match generally, but it's not completely unknown in the car world (mostly American cars with the LS4 and the rare Lancia Thema). The goal would not be absolute performance, as fwd has it's limits but I believe the original 1uzfe in standard form has only 25% more power and torque than the 1mzfe. I know the engine would have to be mounted transversely (assuming it would fit) to retain fwd and involve a whole lot of fabrication, finding a suitable manual tranny etc. They say anything can be done with enough time/money, but there are limits. Are there some obvious issues that would make it not viable?

A forum Member has/had an St202 4wheel drive GT4 fitted with a 1UZ.

It was exclusively rear wheel drive and the engine was mounted north/south.

I have seen people try to mount he MR2 transmission to a 1UZ but had trouble with a driveshaft hitting the engine block.

Do a heap of searching and you will find interesting stuff out there.

Sorry I can't be of any more help than that.

A big challenge is physical size. I own a 5th gen Celica GT, and a 1UZ. Physically fitting it (length of the engine, width of the engine bay) would be rough, probably would require notching the frame rail on that side. The transverse V6s (VZ, MZ, GR) are narrower Vs than the UZ (60* vs 90*). I suspect this will become a problem with firewall and transmission clearance. So the engine would likely have to be canted forward, complicating radiator and hood clearance (and oiling, depending how canted).

But the really big challenge would be the transmission. I suspect your best prayer of a transverse 2WD Toyota transmission holding up to UZ torque would be the E153 (V6 Camry/Solara and MR2 turbo). I'm sure you'd have to make an adapter plate, which would push the engine even further to the right. The RH axle on these all have a support bearing that bolts to the engine block. This will have to be very precisely placed to avoid loading up the bearings. Completely doable, but something to consider.

As I've said before, anything is possible with the right combination of money, time and knowledge. A FWD V8 car doesn't appeal to me, so wouldn't be worth it, but each their own.

A forum Member has/had an St202 4wheel drive GT4 fitted with a 1UZ.

It was exclusively rear wheel drive and the engine was mounted north/south.

I have seen people try to mount he MR2 transmission to a 1UZ but had trouble with a driveshaft hitting the engine block.

Do a heap of searching and you will find interesting stuff out there.

Sorry I can't be of any more help than that.
Interesting.. I did consider rwd but the main problem is the ST202 and 205 (GT4) are quite different when it comes to the floorpan so it's not just a case of just bolting on the extra parts for rwd and different fuel tank etc. Heard about the MR2 swaps.. need to look more into that, cheers.

A big challenge is physical size. I own a 5th gen Celica GT, and a 1UZ. Physically fitting it (length of the engine, width of the engine bay) would be rough, probably would require notching the frame rail on that side. The transverse V6s (VZ, MZ, GR) are narrower Vs than the UZ (60* vs 90*). I suspect this will become a problem with firewall and transmission clearance. So the engine would likely have to be canted forward, complicating radiator and hood clearance (and oiling, depending how canted).

But the really big challenge would be the transmission. I suspect your best prayer of a transverse 2WD Toyota transmission holding up to UZ torque would be the E153 (V6 Camry/Solara and MR2 turbo). I'm sure you'd have to make an adapter plate, which would push the engine even further to the right. The RH axle on these all have a support bearing that bolts to the engine block. This will have to be very precisely placed to avoid loading up the bearings. Completely doable, but something to consider.

As I've said before, anything is possible with the right combination of money, time and knowledge. A FWD V8 car doesn't appeal to me, so wouldn't be worth it, but each their own.
Cheers for that information. plenty to consider