1UZFE INTO VY COMMODORE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

SHEEKS84

Hi all,

I currently have a VY Commodore station wagon with the ecotec V6. Im looking at dropping a IUZFE in to give it a bit more grunt, and torque for towing.
Is this a good path to travel down, or should i look at upping the power of the ecotec?
What sort of fuel economy could i expect from one of these engines in the Commodore?
What is need to complete the conversion, and what auto box would be best for towing?
I was going to try and find an Soarer half cut and use the complete engine and gearbox. Are these a five-speed box?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lachie

It's a mighty big job for the sake of converting a basic Commodore so it can tow, most people do 1UZ swaps for the love of their donor car and for it's performance. The cost vs what you would achieve is your biggest question.

I mean, the cost of the conversion + the sale of your VY could net you a really nice Territory. Awesome cars (I wont call it a 4WD), top comfort and they're built to tow. I towed a 2t 4WD on a massive dual axle car trailer with the in laws Territory over two states and it ate it up, only used about 18L/100 too (towing 2.5t!) But I use the territory purely as an example.

Food for thought anyways.

As to the question, using the Toyota auto would be easiest (4 speed i think) and the economy should be as good if not better than the V6, the 1UZ is a 1000 times more refined. The only catch is they don't have a lot of low down grunt compared to old school V8's like the XR8 I used to own (AUII 5.0L)

Whats wrong with putting in a Commy V8? It would be much the same price to do the conversion and at least you'd be able to sell it at some point in the future. Most of us who have done 1UZs into Hiluxes and Runners have done so partially cos it keeps it all Toyota, so I assume most people looking to buy a V8 Commy would want a Holden V8 in it.

You would be better off doing some work on the Ecotec, or 2 other options are a Gen4 V8 and cop the cost of fuel or a Alloytech V6.

The Alloytech is a damm good engine derived off the Cadillac NorthStar V8 and would be my pic for a job like this.

The UZFE would not be allowed under ADRs unless you want to go and get it emmissions tested and that is not a cheap thing to do.

Attachments

• 100_0534s.JPG
    100_0534s.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_0528s.JPG
    100_0528s.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 37
Sell the car and buy one with a v8 in it already. There's a great deal involved in converting late model commodores (vt onwards) as most of the wiring behind and in the dash needs modifying and changing. Very big job. Other option is stick a gt35 on the v6 with about 12psi and you should net over300rwhp. And as 1uzvl said you will never get it engineered as the engine is too old for the vehicle. Just my 2 cents.

dont bloody do it

i wired one up in a vn for a guy on canberra

slowest piece of crap ever

and u say u want it for towing

ill get abused for saying this but 1uzs are not the best motor for towing

if u have a heavy car plus a heavy car on back

they cruise ok at 100kph but apart form that id not waste money on them

a gen 4 ls2 or l76 with a good cam can get close to 350 kws at wheels

and thats normally asperated

id like to see anyone on here get close to that with the 1uz

1uzs are smoth and strong but id never fit one in a comm

Thanks for all the comments. The reason i was looking at this conversion as opposed to a Gen whatever v8, is that the Chev V8s are a very lazy motor down low, and dont really suit towing. The Ecotec is ok, but rough as **** no matter what you do to them, and as for the AlloyTech, they are a garbage motor. I work for Holden, so i know all about them. They make squat all torque, and its even worse down low or when loaded up.

I might look at dropping a 4.2 Ecotec stroker in. I think that this will be the most cost effective motor, and it will make a mountain of torque for towing.

It will be a lot easier and cheaper to change the diff ratio to something that will put the motor more in the torque band, say something in the mid 4's (4.55 or 4.6)

Then just change diff out when ever you want to do some major towing (assuming its IRS), and put the original diff back whenever you don't need the towing power.

Either that or maybe supercharge the factory motor with a twinscrew.

Either option will set you back much much less than other options and neither will hurt the chances of selling the car again.

CRS do a supercharge kit fo the old V6.

They claim a 30% increase in power (which I assume means torque) which isn't to be triffled at.

Problem solved guys, just ordered a VE SS-V Sportwagon. manual, in Karma. Cant wait! Drove one for the first time last week, amazing! Wouldnt even know its a wagon. Ride and handling were very impressive.

Problem solved guys, just ordered a VE SS-V Sportwagon. manual, in Karma. Cant wait! Drove one for the first time last week, amazing! Wouldnt even know its a wagon. Ride and handling were very impressive.

It shouldn't drive any different to a sedan, as it isn't any different!

It's hard to go past the 30% off that Holden are giving at the moment!

Man i really like the look of those wagons,nice buy.

Thanks for all the comments. The reason i was looking at this conversion as opposed to a Gen whatever v8, is that the Chev V8s are a very lazy motor down low, and dont really suit towing. The Ecotec is ok, but rough as **** no matter what you do to them, and as for the AlloyTech, they are a garbage motor. I work for Holden, so i know all about them. They make squat all torque, and its even worse down low or when loaded up.

I might look at dropping a 4.2 Ecotec stroker in. I think that this will be the most cost effective motor, and it will make a mountain of torque for towing.
For someone who works for Holden you sure seem to know very little about doing anything with them. For one thing you should be very well aware that ADRs would not allow your proposed change.

You should also know the AlloyTech is a much better engine than you give credit for (btw motors are electric, engines are internal combustion). If Ecotecs are only OK and rough no matter what you do to them why would you even consider (past tense cause you have ordered a wagon instead) putting a stroker in it only to make the harmonic vibration worse.

As for the "Gen whatever v8" option it is probably the better option both legally and cost wise than any other option. Now that you have knocked all the motors in the Holden range I am wondering what is in the wagon you have ordered. Is it an AlloyTech or a Gen whatever v8? and if they aren't what you are after why even order a car with an engine your not going to be happy with.