Project Thread Single Turbo 1UZFE VH Commodore

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Yep i think 430 would be an achievable goal on 14psi. I am just amazed at how easy it makes power, i mean i am using a reversed crown log one side and a cut and modified soarer header the other lol. The car will be up for sale shortly, i need some more cash for the 1hp per kg KE20 corolla project :)

Nice. I'm in the middle of a KE10 build myself. Was to be a 600hp 13BT but rego killed that idea so the rote has been pulled and sold. The drag weapon has now changed tack to a more rounded 3SGTE and more of a circuit focus.

So what powerplant are you going with?

Cool 3s KE10 should be fun :) i have had a few ke10s.

As for OKE020 i decided to go back to toyota power, 2jz :) 1000 fly wheel hp seems to be quite easy to achieve with these engines, i have removed and sold the 13BT and complete driveline to a guy with another KE20, i have cut the firewall and tunnel out and we are currently making a recess and new tunnel. The engine sits in there suprisingly well and looks like i will get the same type ARE intercooler back in there still hidden :)

The car is still registered on historic rego and will be used mainly for drag racing / power cruises etc

I keep a diary on http://www.oke020.com

LOL a TooJay will be a torque monster. How the hell do you get a modded car on historic rego? Locally they chuck a spaz at the smallest mod? or can i assume (hush hush) that it's not to be engineered with those mods?

Slightly different rules up here, it was QLD blue plated with the 13BT and auto but i never bothered to change the engine number on the registration. I have had the car registered for quite a few years. With the 2JZ its not possible to engineer but it will remain registered as long as it can. Its not like i drive it to work or to the shops, but the occassional data collecting cruise might still happen :)

Basically i got married had kids so my money tree died, i needed to get an engine in there with lower running costs. I had quite alot invested in the 13BT setup and luckily found someone willing to buy the lot.

Well she did a head gasket, so cometics going in, had a bit of material removed from the chambers and a mill, new head bolts, fuel system etc. Can get cometics in AU for < $100 per side :)

Oh while i am here, i have to put the heads back on tonight, is there any trick to re-installing the cams? Is there a tech article showing what lines up with what?

Well took the vh for a bit of a skid last night, my eboost died so i had to make up a temporary bleed valve, i got the tune good to 16 psi and had a guess at anything after, in top gear under more load i was getting 20 psi of boost, no detonation :) it was a colder night and i had bp ultimate in it, there is not much timing in it at that much boost. I have regularly tuned my 130+ mph 13bT corolla and i am certain it pulling close to as hard as it used to :)

This little 1uz just continues to impress me, and the a340e with MV valve body is taking the abuse, from a standing start no stall up it turns the tires to smoke up until about 5k in 3rd gear, the gearbox shifts firm every time and has not even made one funny noise. I am actually considering making some headers for it that actually flow and putting a decent modern turbo on it :)

Sounds awesome mate. 20psi eh, my turbos would love that. Amazing such a high comp motor can take so much boost....at 17psi i'm still running around 18deg of advance and seems to just love it.

My twin plate has started to slip, if it was just a cruiser, drag strip machine i'd go auto for sure but the circuit work needs a manual to cut the quick times.

When you reckon you'll get to the strip?

Hey mate, i was going to run it on wednesday night, got almost to the track and mates car stuffed up so had to go home get the trailer. I have ran it once before on lighter tune, 12-13psi with slow 2.3 60' ran 12.7 @ 116, i am installing a 50 HP dry kit on it at the moment (to make up for the convertor) and putting in 28 spline vl axles mini spool and 4.11s.

I was having a play with a 11 sec 120+ mph liberty last night on 16 psi and its on par with it with slightly rich AFRs so i am thinking about just leaving it on lower boost and leaving the gas on down the track, with et radials on i cant see why it wont run into the 11s easy enough, my corolla with small turbo and good 60' used to run 10.60s at 125, not sure if its got 125 in it but i'd be stoked if it ran close to a 10 :) The intercooler is also of great concern, i cant do back to back top gear load runs, the intake temps are just to high and dont return to an acceptable temp quick enough, maybe the cooling effect of the N20 will help.

I run a pretty simple water injection setup and inlet temps stay rock steady every full power run....in fact between runs the inlet temps come up and they are coolest at the end of a full power run.

I am about to embark on the next simple power unlocker (same boost but potentially alot more power), if you are interested in joining me as a bit of a guinea pig drop me a PM.

Well i got to pull my engine again, i had a mishap at the drags, 1st pass of the day the car fried through 1st and into 2nd, i heard a slight bit of detonation at the top of 2nd so i got off it, on it again boost spiked back up hard it rattled and pop i now have a V7 :) i suspect i have cracked a piston, interestingly its the same cylinder that blew the stock head gasket, I am going to get the injectors flow tested as it would appear i have a faulty or blocked injector. This would explain why i have trouble getting consistent back to back data. I was also supplied incorrect non resistor type spark plugs that i foolishly put in without checking, i am sure this did not help with the detonation issue.

Pulled the head last night, cylinder number 3, detonation has eaten the side of the piston away, there is a light alloy residue on the top of the sleeve, looks like i will get away with a quick bead hone and slap another piston in. The cometic gasket is fried too. Think its safe to say i have a faulty injector hah.

2424.jpg

Well Jamie from EIS called in last night and flow tested my 550cc injectors, they all flow within 5% of each other, normally i'd be happy but this means i have no clue as to why this cylinder keeps failing. I spoke to Scott from Venom and he had a piston with exact damage from cylinder 3 of another 1UZ, this is not encouraging :( does anyone know of any flow distribution issues with the standard intake setup?

Here is another blurry pic of the damage.

thumb2427.jpg
http://www.oke020.com/jt/store/images/thumb2427.jpg

No that i'm aware of? My No.7 is down on compression but that's just age and apparently the rings wear quickest on that cyl.

That's really running lean on that cyl. I would blame the fuel rail rather than the intake as i'm having no issues. What's your setup? If it's all stock then must do the following. Piss off the dampner and run your reg and return line from that fitting. Dual entry into each rail at the firewall end and leave the stock front x over pipe in place.

550's should be easy big enough as i only run 480's and am still a little ways off max duty at 400rwkw.

Hey thats a good point that i did not think of, i have the standard front and rear cross over, no dampner, i am feeding into one rail and returning from the other, thanks for idea i will give it a go :)