1UZFE Flywheel

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kollide

I am relatively new to this forum but I have been pouring myself over it for awhile learning everything I can about the 1UZFE and also converting to 5 speed. A little background I am a Lexus technician for Lexus of Mobile and have been doing this professionally for 8 years. I currently own a 1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S (1UZFE swap in the making) and a 1981 Toyota Starlet (20V Swap in the making), I am very passionate about my cars and what I do. Having said that I have noticed that getting flywheels for our engines, as other people may have done on here I have called a couple of places. Namely Fidanza. I spoke to someone named Matt who then spoke to his technician.

The information I gave him was, as I recently discovered, that a 1mzfe flexplate has the exact same diameter and ring gear as a 1uzfe and the center hole for the crank was the same size, there was a Camry and Solara V6 5 speed in the 90's, so I called and asked what it cost to take said flywheel, and flip the ring gear and send it to me with no crank bolt holes drilled.

He replied with a number even he disagreed with, $1200 bucks, but he said that if I did a minimum order of 15 it would be around $300 per unit, I asked about drilling the 1uzfe holes and he said it would increase the cost to probably around $350 but that he needed to talk to his technician. I told him I would gauge interest and call him back so he could get me a solid figure for everyone to digest now I mentioned a couple of other flywheel option like the 5sfe, and 3sgte as thier rings gears are similar as well. In any event I wanted to talk to you guys about it I will do as much communicated as possible so we can come up with a consistant supply without having to modify flywheels. Seeing as a couple of places offer modified flywheels for $300 it seems reasonable to have units made for us without modification.

So the question is how interested are we? What do YOU guys suggest for the clutch pressure plate bolt pattern (i.e. what flywheel 5sfe, 3sgte, 1mzfe, 5vzfe ect.) Feed me some info and I will call him tomorrow and post again with what I find out. Remember my ultimate goal is to get an off the shelf Findanza unit for us 1UZFE guys they offer various stages for the 3sgte so that flywheel might be the most viable option as it has several clutch options. YOU guys let me know so I can relay the info.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Mike

p.s. I know this may have been done before but since it will help me as well as alot of other people, I am gonna keep up with it until we have something we can all agree on.

please

Guys please help me figure it out I am not asking for buyers yet just info to go to Fidanza for I really wanna get a flywheel developed from a mainstream manufacturer. :(

Welcome to Lextreme. UZ flywheels & clutches seem to cause us (Americans) lots of heartburn, while the rest of the guys here from Oz & NZ just get on with it and have them made.

I think the difference is that we want everything engineered, nicely packaged and ready to bolt on, and a big name behind it, which is all good, but the UZ market hasn't grown to that degree just yet.

Several other guys have had a go at Fidanza, and they seem to be ready to build us a flywheel, once the quantities are there. It's just, as you say, to pick the clutch size, etc.

My personal interest would be in a steel flywheel, that would accept an 8 1/2", or larger, twin disc, with splines for the Supra's 6spd Getrag. I'd also want the setup capable of handling at least 600 lb-ft of torque.

I think you'll find that the 6spd Getrag isn't going to be that popular for most, as the Supra guys are making more power with the 2JZ than the 1UZ at the moment, and not that many are interested in swapping.

More people would be interested in R154, and Tremec swaps, and there'll be a few that will try the W58's, just to have a manual transmission.

Good luck with your project and keep us updated!

fw ftw

so what kinda of diameters are we looking at? I was browsing and Exedy offers a racing stage 4 twin plate capable of handling 600ft/lbs of torque maybe I should be barking up that tree. Yeah I know about the headache of a flywheel, I am going through it now I figure if I am going to go through all this trouble I may as well let others benefit. Do you know if anyone has a cad file available?

Thanks
Mike

Have a search around on the forum. I don't mean to sound disinterested, but this subject has been thrashed many times.

In particular look for posts from Autronic, he has a wealth of CAD files for flywheels he's developed for many applications.

Also look for a thread started by motoracer47. He was the last member, I recall, that was chasing this holy grail with Fidanza.

I have looked around a bit but threads seem to die I didn't see the one about the cad files for flywheels but I will look again I have someone who would be able to make a flywheel with a cad file. So how are we feeling about materials? It seems like the killer for development is the clutch options because so many people want different types it makes it difficult to have an off the shelf option not to mention most of us are gonna end up with a push type while some want a pull type so I dunno all I know is that these engine are affordable, reliable and it seems like when people get drudged down by the 5 speed conversion they lose interest, I know some times I do but I am still working on everything else so if it has to then it will come last. so let me know guys best material and maybe I should start a poll on clutch options and pick the most popular.

Mike

It never ceases to amaze me.

New Zealand and Australia have all sorts of conversion kits/flywheels and clutch options but those in the States don't think to import them.

They're most affordable (well before the US$ become the new Pacific Peso) freight is also affordable but it all seems too hard for them.

Give it a go guys you'll be surprised what the guys from this side of the pond can do.

There must be 15 different companies in Austalia who will make you a flywheel to suit your 1UZ and almost anything gearbox you can name. NZ will be the same.

The quality is excellent.

Rod you're right; I honestly don't know what our problem is, importing from Oz or NZ. I've imported my HTD pulley set from NZ, and two supercharger setups from Oz with no problems other than the usual delays of vendors over promising stuff and not delivering in the agreed timeframe.

One problem I face with the flywheel/clutch setup is that I need a combo for the 6spd Getrag in the Supra, and I haven't found that 1UZ/Getrag combo over on your side of the pond.

On our side, we have the Quartermaster setup for this combo, which seems to be "acceptable" if not exactly optimum.

cribbj:

A clutch for the Supra 6 speed gearbox is easy, first decide what clutch cover you want to use and then
get a clutch plate made with the correct splines, South Bend clutch is excellent when it comes to this.

kollide

What gearbox do you plan to use ? Will it be a street car only / racing only or both ? What clutch cover
would you like to use ? It's possible to squeeze in a Mustang 10.4" into the auto bell housing, a 10" in the
aftermarked bell housings, but if you use a 9.5" ( 240 mm ) clutch, you have more choices.

Then you have the Tilton/Quarter Master/RAM 7.25" and so on.

Hit me with a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you some drawings.

Last edited:
options, options

I am looking for the most economical of course but also the one that provides me with compatible off the shelf options, what use is it if one I have the car and then the clutch goes bad it has to be down because of some proprietary supplier I just want a viable affordable option for America not that I don't like you OZ or NZ guys but your sooo far away I will say this though the products I have seen are great I just wish/hope someone here can decide that they should get involved. The car is gonna be used primarily for street, but will see occasional track use whether it be drag or autox, my primary goal is to have a fun reliable car. The set-up I will be going with is w58 with auto bell-housing, Howe internal slave cylinder, that's all I got for now as I am still obviously trying to sort out clutch/fw combo. Drawings would be great and I am still in communication with my machinist so when I receive my adapter plate and see the quality I am gonna determine if they are my guys but I will say this they do ALOT of fabrication and supply for local businesses I will be posting pics of my plates in the w58 cad file thread. I appreciate everyone's input and look forward to more. Anyone on board to posting a poll thread? Anyone actually tried to fit an 8-bolt mustang flywheel yet?

Mike

As an FYI. I called Fidanza and they do make an off the shelf flywheel for the 1uzfe. They told me to just use any 2jz clutch kit and it should work just fine with my R154.

Don't mean to be off subject. Just building a project. Saw this thread. Thought I would put the info out there.

dang well the guy in the tech department didn't say that did they give you a price? Because I am still interested wierd that I told him exactly what it was for and he didn't mention that one was available.

Mike

First I've heard also, I talked to them about 2 months ago and their response was the same as everyone has gotten for the last 5+ years. Buy 10 and they'll make them for around 3-400$ US. I'm getting ready to plop the cash down myself and buy 10. so...

I have a related question. I'm putting a 1UZ in my Cressida (it has the factory W57 trans)

I'm considering getting the Monster Performance flywheel and clutch kit, but I would like the get the car rolling pretty soon. Read on using the 3SGTE flywheel and Hilux clutch combinations and those are readily available. What is the reliability on this setup with a modified flywheel? I'm not planning on putting a ton of power through it.

What of using a 1JZ flywheel? Or is using the 2JZ one only applicable with the V160 trans?

sounds good let me know I am hitting a brick wall with fidanza if anyone else is asking you would think that they would get a hint but alas no dice yet.

Mike

looking at modifying a 1mzfe flywheel its barely 1mm difference in pcd. does anyone know if a 3sgte clutch and pressure plate will mount to this?