Custom 1UZFE Flywheel in the U.S.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I dunno, I think you're a little hung up needing extra holding diameter. There's 7 1/2" clutch setups that hold over 1000hp. Even my setup is rated at 500 hp and over 650 tq with a single 9 1/4" diameter disc, and there's an upgrade from what I'm running so....
also this is a steel flywheel, not aluminum. I haven't even gotten to making the aluminum one yet..

Yep I know, and when I get to the aluminum flywheels, they should be cheaper than that and about the same weight. Aluminum takes much much less time to machine and the price between the materials isn't as big as one would think.

not bad, but keep in mind that that price per pound changes with thickness of plate brcause of obvios reasons. Flywheel blanks are about 1.375 thick, and run between 125$ and 175$ depending on the market which has been very volitile thhe last couple of years.

and, I have two aluminum blanks at the shop waiting.......
It's all just a matter of having time to get them made.

also, do you guys think there's enough interest in these flywheels to do a group buy?

14" square 1.5" thick. Get it from scrap bins and its dirt cheap. And even cheaper if you're a student. Wink wink.
Btw I have been doing a lot of research on converting my sc400 to r154. Its just too expensive. I am interested in your flywheel, by pricing is the driving factor for this. What size clutch will your flywheels be using.
Charley

SO, BACK TO THE FLYWHEEL CONUNDRUM.
Just made an awesome discovery this week. I found a OEM replacement flywheel that's made in the USA, that can be modified for the 1uz without elongated bolt holes or redrilled pressure plate holes, and uses a fairly common pressureplate. and I can probably sel them for around 325$ What do you guys think? and no, I'm not B.S.ing anyone here.

Sounds great. A few questions:

1. Is it a cast iron/steel, billet steel, or aluminum with steel insert?

2. Weight?

3. Is the ring gear on correctly for us?

4 What sort of modifications does it require to work for the 1UZ?

5. What size friction surface, ie which clutches will work?

1, this is the only downfall, it is a cast flywheel
2. around 17 lbs... not bad at all
3. absolutely.
4. don't really want to say because people will go and do the same thing based off of tons of my own research. Sorry.
5. any r154 or w58 clutch disc will work, and any 3sgte pressure plate will work. This is the part that really suprised me.

I still plan on doing a bllet steel flywheel for those who want it, and this will be the budget flywheel for those on a budget.
That way I won't have petty people complaining about the billet wheel costing too much. If they want it even cheaper they can use the chinese version of the casting instead of the quality american casting, and oh boy is there a big difference in the quality of the casting...... just kiddin though, I refuse to knowingly buy chinese products.

We'll be putting it on the test car tomarrow, and it'll be drifting at thinder hill by wendsday.

Last edited:
"Modification" and "cast" are two words that make me nervous when talking about flywheels, so I'd like to know more.

I realise you want to protect your IP, but it would be very useful to know if the modifications you need to do will alter the flywheel's mounting holes or otherwise affect its overall integrity? Or if it's simply something like chamfering the ring gear so the starter bendix can start into it more easily.

1, this is the only downfall, it is a cast flywheel
2. around 17 lbs... not bad at all
3. absolutely.
4. don't really want to say because people will go and do the same thing based off of tons of my own research. Sorry.
5. any r154 or w58 clutch disc will work, and any 3sgte pressure plate will work. This is the part that really suprised me.

I still plan on doing a bllet steel flywheel for those who want it, and this will be the budget flywheel for those on a budget.
That way I won't have petty people complaining about the billet wheel costing too much. If they want it even cheaper they can use the chinese version of the casting instead of the quality american casting, and oh boy is there a big difference in the quality of the casting...... just kiddin though, I refuse to knowingly buy chinese products.

We'll be putting it on the test car tomarrow, and it'll be drifting at thinder hill by wendsday.

im confused now, r154 is a pull type clutch right? if so, then do people still need to use 1uz u1 bellhousing?
and for 3sgte pressure plates, do these need to be redrilled for the flywheel mentioned, or does the flywheel need to be redrilled, or it just aligns up perfectly?

Thanks
Charley

I said r154 clutch disc, not pressure plate.
and no more 3s flywheels, forget about them. they're history. I'm talking about a differnt flywheel alltogether now.

so for a 5speed swap id need, the clutch, flwheel, pressure plate and a belhousing adapter you supply? a w58/r154 trans, and id put in a wilwood clutch pedal. sorry if it has been answered, i read the whole thread but it kinda jumps around in discussion. im just trying to see what a final 5spd swap for my 1uz would be. thank you.

For the pedals you also can use the stock pedals and 5 speed brake pedal. Or the auto pedal, but it has been brought up that the pedal arm is too close. Is this for an sc300/400?
Don't forget clutch master cylinder as well and lines

Charley

pretty much sums it up
as for the wilwood adaptor I haven't made one up yet, but they're fairly simple, and can be made from .10c worth of steel and about 3 bucks in bolts.

So you have a steel flywheel with the correct bolt pattern and ring gear ? And the cost is around $300? Is there any lead time or do they ship out with in a few days?

There's 2 flywheels I provide. One is a factory 3vz flywheel that's modified to work on the 1uz which has the correct ring gear, and the bolt pattern gets opened up less than .065". It costs 275$ and usually ships out in under 10 days. Right now I have extras so it would ship out in less than a week. The other option is a full billet flywheel that runs 600+$ and takes 2-6 weeks to make.