1UZFE Flywheel

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
This is the biggest stumbling block for me too. The 1uz is an amazing motor at a low price, but as soon as you want to add a manual transmission to the mix you're looking at another $1500+ it seems. Totally unacceptable in my mind. Fidanza makes some amazing flywheels and $300 for a flywheel is pennies. I've used their flywheels before and have nothing but good things to say about them.

We should be able to buy a high quality aluminum flywheel with removable friction surfaces for $350 max.

350 max? are you kidding. This is why these flywheels haven't happened in the usa yet. American's don't seem to understand the value of custom machnied products. Everyone wants it for cheap. I could go on a rant on this but I won't.
Fidanza understands that this is a limited market in the usa for a number of reasons, and as far as they see it, it will never be worth the money to them to make a flywheel unless someone else starts making money doing it first. For them to get the price down to 375$ they literally have to make at least 25 of them even though they claim 10 haahaha and for them to get it down to 300$ they would have to make 1000's of them.
Hell, just to make a one off is going to cost over 800$. and materials is over 200$ alone.

Considering that a typical fidanza aluminum flywheel sells for $300-$350 I don't see why it would be asking too much to have them sell the 3sgte flywheel, at the same price, with the 1uz PCD setup. Or even sell the 3sgte blank without the holes drilled, so we can get them drilled by our local machinists.

I understand how much it costs to make a one off flywheel, but they already have all the R&D done. All it needs is a different PCD.

And yes I realize there is cost involved in low production numbers but still.

I dont want to get into a huge debate because this topic has been beaten to death on these forums, I'm just frustrated that im looking at almost $2000 to put a manual behind a $400 motor. I can just go with an LS1 with a t56 at that price, but I really want the 1uz for it's silly top end.

Last edited:
still don't see where you're getting the 2000$ price from either.
w58 costs around 700-1300$ to do with a transmission, and the r154 costs around 1100-1800$.
and I've done the reasearch on doing ls1 swaps plus I'm at daft innovations doing side jobs all the time so I'm extremely familiar with LSx swaps, and I can tell you that even after adding a manual to the back of a 1uz, there's no price comparison. A full LSx swap with a t56 will run you at least 5000$ by the time you're done. and 7000$ is a bit more realistic.

L33 is a viable replacement and can be found in junkyards with accessories, harness, ecu for ~$1000. Add $1200 T56, and then you have a flywheel and clutch to buy. But anyway, I'm not interested in the gen3 chevy. I'm interested in the 1uz.

What's the cheapest way to get a 5 speed bolted to the 1uz in your experience?

I'd love to get a w58 mated inc the transmission for $700. Oh yes I would! :)

you can do it for sure, but you'll be making trade-offs.
if you use my plate and a modified flywheel you could do it for around
300 for the adaptor plate
75 for the t56 hydraulic throwout adaptor plate
80 for the t56 hydraulic throwout bearing
100$ for the lines from me, or you can figure it out for yourself and buy it for about 60$.
you can find 3s flywheels for 20-40$ I'll modify it and resurface it for 90$ we'll call that 120$

that's about $635 so far. I can find w58's at the yard fairly easily, and they're 99$
That

puts you a hare above 700$ only thing left after that is a pressure plate and a clutch disc which all depends on what you want to do.

btw,
you can also get the L98 engines which are a 6 litre engine for about the same price. My friend kyle is running one in his cressida that was featured on speedhunters.
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/05/23/car-spotlight-gt-gt-v8-cressida-pair.aspx

Last edited:
I think that its justifiable to say that there is no market because no one has made one, the prices tend to be so high it can drive demand down. ALOT of people want to convert but it costs so much they get scared away. They end up sticking with what they have or don't it at all. Lots of guys wanna swap 1uzfes into stuff but see that price tag and say no way. I am gonna buy a 1mzfe flywheel its only 1mm off on pcd and it will be a Fidanza Unit but once mine is done I am gonna get a quote from my machinist to reverse engineer it with 1u pcd. If I can get the price right I plan to offer these with no predrilled holes for pressure plate and no ring gear, everyone wants different clutches and pressure plates so it seems to me that the best idea is to offer it open to possibilities as long as you know a machinist. I would like more input and if anyone know anyone who has a cad file then tell them to drop me a line I have a really great machinist. For now for my set up I will be using a 1mzfe flywheel for what its worth a 3vze truck flywheel has the proper ring diameter and chamfered edge since the starter comes from the proper direction.

Anyone know where I can get the howe bearing spacer for the w58 setup I have seen a couple, thanks.

it's not fair to say no-one makes the aluminum flywheels, because there is one company in the states that sells an aluminum flywheel. lol
I already have a design that comes with the correct ring gear and uses the fidanza 1080 steel friction plate, and I also plan on leaving the pressure plate pattern blank tll it's ready to be sold to the customer for the same reasons.
also I just recently became aware of the 3v flywheels, and their a much cheaper option because you can buy them new for 50-90$ and most machinists like myself will do it for under 50-75$. I just told a guy yesterday that I'd do it for 50$.

BTW
DO NOT USE HOWE HYDRAULIC THROWOUT BEARINGS. All but one person I know has had them fail in under 1000 miles with the W58.We have a bellhousing we cut the bottom out of and the spacer puts the howe so far out on the guide tube that it wobbles. Even quantum has posted on their front page that they have a very high fail rate.

I've seen it, the progress looks really good. What's the deal with the 3vze flywheel? Is it a better solution to the 3sgte?

and here's a dumb question, but has anyone sent a flywheel manufacturer a 1uz flex plate and asked them if they have any flywheels that match? It's so unlike toyota to dimension parts that are completely different than everything else they produce.

toyota produces other engines that use the same bolt pattern and ring gear, just not in the USA.
the 3vz flywheel is a better solution than the 3s. I just bought one today and checked.

Actually 4u2quik I have been watching your thread and was aware of it but you are still in pre-production but to be honest would prefer a steel flywheel with a bit of weight so I like the idea. I just don't know what kind of time table you are working with, heh, not that I am in a hurry. But I would be interested in a group buy. Also I am not dead set on steel, whatever you come up with I am sure will gather adequate attention. I just like the idea of a little weight because of low end torque, but my corolla is pretty like so torque sacrifices can be made.

So in reference to Howe unit what are we going with for a better option, i.e. one that doesn't wobble at the end of the shaft?

Is this a viable option:
http://www.1uzfeswapkit.com/images/IMG_0344.jpg

Thanks for the input.

Mike

yes, that's my t56 hydraulic throwout bearing kit. :)
We have several vehicles locally running this setup with great luck.I'm looking to go into production on the flywheels after Rich from daft and I get done with our top secret project for the 1uz.

Same as 1mzfe its just about 1mm difference in pcd but the best part is the ring gear is the same diameter and also the proper direction because the starter mounts on the engine side it would be the ideal choice but I have only been able to find cast iron one and I am just not comfortable slotting a cast flywheel although it would be done using a mill not just drilling and it would be done by a machine shop. There is no support for this on here everyone gets up in arms and to be honest I can't blame them but with all due respect I think if done professionally it would be acceptable but I would just like to here it from more people but that's an arguement for another thread

The 3vz/2vz is the closest, period. A close second is the 1mz/3mz, a close second because the ring gear is opposite direction.

This is what I have found by gathering a bunch of ring gear spacers I can post pics if you guys want I have gotten together a collection.

Sounds like you've done your research. Once big mis-nomer that people get hung up on with the flywheels, is that most of the toyota flywheels are cast steel and not cast iron. There's a huge difference in strength and in the way the the material reacts to being machined. Cast Iron is scary stuff to machine because of it's propensity towards micro fracturing whereas cast steel does not have this tendency.

Well I have been hoping to find a 3vze truck flywheel, billet steel because that would be the most viable option, and if I am not totally mistaken it also accommodates a 3sgte pressure plate although my recollection is a bit hazy. Don't be confused though there are two 3vz engines the 3vze which came in the trucks (3.0 v6 sohc) which has the correct ring gear orientation and there was a 3vzfe which came in the camrys which has the chronic problem of having a backwards (for us) ring gear. I have not been able to verify if the 5vzfe (3.4L dohc truck engine) has the same bolt pattern as the 3vze, as a side note I dunno if I mentioned it but the 3vz engines do have the correct ring gear diameter and tooth count. I am curious though what engines over seas came with a compatible bolt pattern for the 1uzfe that came five speed?

I will clean up those flex-plate spacers and post comparison pics if anyone is interested. I have a 2azfe, 5sfe, 2vzfe, 3vzfe, 1mzfe, an Isuzu engine (unknown code), 420a (Chrysler) and that's all I can think of right now I heard tell there may be a difference in bolt patterns on the 5sfe between certain years although I have not been able to verify it. What I don't understand is the 5sfe that I have is the same as a 3sgte and that bolt pattern is NOWHERE near the 1uzfe's pattern and yet the 3sgte is the most commonly modified flywheel, but the 1mzfe/3mzfe flywheel (available through fidanza) is literally 1mm or less and I haven't read anything about it on here and fwiw the 3vze flywheel is nearly identical to the 1mzfe/3mzfe with the exception of the the ring gear being mounted backwards and possibly back spacing.

So is that t56 setup very reliable? If so that will be the path I am taking for my slave.

Mike

Last edited:
Also I haven't been able to look into the Ford Mustang 8 bolt v8 I am curious to know the pcd on that one if anyone has any info on that flywheel let me know just to satisfy my curiosity I have visited the junkyard so much trying to find that mythical creature which is a bolt on flywheel for the 1uzfe and I am literally checking everything because it is probably gonna be what we least expect if there is something out there.

Mike

Can't we just call up a flywheel manufacturer and ask them if they have anything that matches the PCD, inner bore, and outer diameter of the 1uzfe flex plate? I don't have this info or else I would do this myself.