1uzfe auto-transmission info

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Alouette

I am planning on building an offroad 4x4 vehicle (Land Rover Chassis, Fiberglass body etc) and have decided to use a Lexus V8.
Being is South Africa my choices regarding the engine and gearbox is very limited - I can get hold of a 4litre V8 (I understand this to be a 1uzfe) with its standard auto gearbox from the importers.

What I would like to know is what gearbox can I expect this to be?
Does anyone have an input flange to output flange length measurement so that I can continue with my planning work?
Thanks

I plan on using the Landrover L230T transfer case with Land Rover diffs - Using the A341E gearbox with the above I have calculated overall transfer ratios as follows (all :1)
HI RANGE LOW RANGE
1st 12.63 29.73
2nd 7.63 17.98
3rd 4.99 11.74
4th 3.52 8.28

I would like to put 33" to 35" tyres on this vehicle. Any opinions on these ratios? These figures seem to match the 3.5V6 Pajero A/T fairly closely.

Has anyone made use of the Landrover L230T transfer case and diffs (It is marketed as the "Defender 110" in SA) with the lexus setup?
Any other recommendations or ideas?

mate i have a toyota bundera with a 1UZ engine the standard 30-41LE auto to a LT230 with 50% reduction gears and toyota diffs 4:1. oh and 42" tyres so far so good!! just had some gearbox issues on angles!!

Evan

CAD models of gearbox output shaft

I have settled on putting the LT230 in. Does anyone have CAD model (Preferably Pro-E) of the output side of the a341e or 340 gearbox. I would like to look at mounting the transfer case.

I understand from my research that the way the transfer case is matched to the gearbox (in SA at least) is with two 16mm plates. One plate is mounted on the output of the gearbox. A oil seal is fitted to the plate to keep the gearbox oil in. The other plate is fitted to the transfer case with a seal to keep the T/C oil in. The "adaptor plates" are then bolted together. A new, slightly longer output shaft is then machined to match the gearbox to the transfer case and to the oil seals.

Is there any other (BETTER) way of doing this? I am not keen on machining a new shaft if I can make the original work!!

If you have trouble mating the LT230 there are other options, if you're using the 110 landy diffs, they should be offset pinions front and rear, you can make a small jackshaft off the lexus auto and use a divorced transfer off a Patrol MQ or MK (foget which model had the divorced set-up)

Tommyk

Thanks for the idea! I had not even thought about doing that. The divorced transfer case - does it have offset outputs to match the Landy offset diffs?

I was planning on changing the 110 diff from the standard 1:3.3198 to 1:4.71 I will use the series 3 LR crownwheel and pinion, which, according to the local landy shop will require spacers to offset changing from a 13 tooth to a 10 tooth pinion. Using the 1.41 high range ratio transfer case and 35" tyres. Only thing that I am not happy about is 1st gear - would prefer the A340 lexus gerbox with a 2.804 1st gear to the A341e's 2.531 1st (if I have my numbers right). All in all I think the ratios will be close enough for offroad use.

My whole problem with the set up is that the Landy has offsett diffs. As I understand I will need to use the offsett rear output of the Landy transfer case to match up. This effectively means that if I use a Landy as a donor vehichle I will either HAVE to use the Landy transfer case OR will need to change to Patrol diffs. If I HAVE to change to patrol diffs and transfer case I might as well find a patrol to be the donor!!!!

Here is SA the PATROL and its parts are unbelievably expensive - I cannot find a secondhand patrol for under R100 000. The landy on the other hand is more reasonably priced - there are at least 3 that I know of for R25 000

The MK or MQ had front and rear offset diff pinions, the same as landrover 110's so you can still use your landy diffs with a patrol divorced transfer. It was only the GQ and GU patrols which had the centre rear diff pinion.

But remember to have a think about the length of your driveline if you decide to go the divorced transfer, you will need a custom transfercase crossmember and you would need to make a gearbox crossmember aswell, and modified driveshafts.

I am still going to try to get a adaptor made up. I have found someone here in SA who SAYS that they have machined shafts for this aplication before...

I agree with what you have said regarding the driveshaft lengths! That rear one is going to be very short with a divorced case!

Hi there

I am also looking at the 1UZFE to go into a Disco 1 (yes, the TDi motor popped AGAIN!) Is there any realistic chance of staying with the R380 manual gearbox? If not, how difficult is it to fit the GoTech gearbox controller? Aloutte, any chance of looking at your setup? I'm in Pretoria.

Hi there

I am also looking at the 1UZFE to go into a Disco 1 (yes, the TDi motor popped AGAIN!) Is there any realistic chance of staying with the R380 manual gearbox? If not, how difficult is it to fit the GoTech gearbox controller? Aloutte, any chance of looking at your setup? I'm in Pretoria.

old post,but mines progressing (1uz into 1972 rangie)

oih its a head ache job!