1UZ into Prado 95

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Louis

I had some damage done to my 3.4 V6 in January this year. Had to either rebuild or replace the 5VZ-FE motor. As rebuilding would cost abot R60k and the replacement with a Jap import of the same type R20k, I have just about decided to go that route, when someone asked "Why not the 1UZ?" Darn!
So that is the route I chose afer much heartsearching. Here is a picture or two of the engine before the installation and the first one after installation. All pipes still to be connected, wiring to be done, and so on.

http://s19.postimage.org/qaltr1g5f/12052012200.jpg

http://s19.postimage.org/57bwja8zn/12052012206.jpg

http://s19.postimage.org/rr6zk1ern/First_pic_of_1uz_in_Prado.jpg

Last edited:
As much as I would like to take the credit for the looks of that motor, the preparation was done by Mark, "my mechanic". He knows his stuff, and that's a fact. They are busy with the exhaust, aircon, power steering, and so on, while the truck is on the lift. Hope to start her this weekend. Unfortunately I'll probably not be there, due to it being about an hour and a half's drive from my home. :disappointed:
It is a 1999 VX V6 auto, 272k done when V6 was removed. The bellhousing and torque converter were replaced by Lexus ones, for they just bolt on to the Prado's box. The standard 'housing and torque converter was not a straight bolt-on to the 1UZ. The same computer of the 'box is used again, but the engine is managed by a locally produced unit, the Spitronics. See here:

http://www.spitronics.co.za/

Last edited:
As promised, here are some pics of the final installation. Fuel economy: in town 14.8 mpg average (no street racing, but now and then a little "spirited" driving) and 21.1 mpg on the open road at speeds of 65 mph to 75 mph. Here and there a short "power run" to overtake. Power aplenty and very smooth, once the tuning was sorted out. The tuning was done on a dyno - tuned for economy, if you want to believe that - but the accelerator pump I tuned myself, using the software of the ECU (a locally produced aftermarket system called Spitronics) on a laptop. Now it goes quite nicely, except for the auto box ECU (from now on TCU = transmission control unit) that does not communicate well with the engine's ECU. So in about a month's time we are adding a Spitronics TCU and then, my mechanic says, all will be honky dory. Because there is no room for the engine driven fan and the fan shroud, an electric fan controlled by the ECU does the cooling, which is all well and good, but the ATF is not cooled properly, it seems. The result of this is that after some stop start city driving the 'box heats up and then the torque converter locks up when it should not - in L and 2 on the Prado's 3+O/D box. When this happens at a stop/traffic light, the revs drop to below 500 rpm and when you want to drive off the darn thing stalls. One then has to select L before moving off. I believe this on its own is enough reason to say never, ever, put a 1UZ into any automatic car except with the 1UZ's own 'box. And a Prado is not a good subject for this conversion, in my view.

If you guys have a problem with viewing the pics in the gallery the link takes you to, I shall make another plan.

http://postimage.org/gallery/8f2zc2s0/

did you look at using a different auto setup?
a th700 is a 4 speed automatic with no electrics which can be adapted to the 1uz.

i have a ford C4 3 speed auto behind my 1uz

All I want to say now the whole transplant episode is behind me is, do NOT put a V8 in a Prado 95, unless if you use the 1UZ's 'box and wiring harness also. It just messes up what used to be a very nice car. I am going to sell my truck and get a Pajero DI-D in its place. The fuel consumption of the Lex motor in the Prado is too high. It is up by about 20% compared to the V6 motor, and the transmission will never ever be as nice as it was before. I can kick my own ass for going the V8 route instead of replacing with a Jap import V6.

I'm still sticking to my Pajero box with its own 'TCU' but with kick down cable , engine temp controlled by its own sensor ,TPS looking after the box as well the OD controlled by a Mitsi temp sensor on the Lexus motor ,I figure it should all marry up well. Shame your Prado didn't do too well , but yes the Pajero is a great choice though

All I want to say now the whole transplant episode is behind me is, do NOT put a V8 in a Prado 95, unless if you use the 1UZ's 'box and wiring harness also. It just messes up what used to be a very nice car. I am going to sell my truck and get a Pajero DI-D in its place. The fuel consumption of the Lex motor in the Prado is too high. It is up by about 20% compared to the V6 motor, and the transmission will never ever be as nice as it was before. I can kick my own ass for going the V8 route instead of replacing with a Jap import V6.

Believe it or not the same problem is had by people who put the 1UZs in Surfs and try to use the Surf auto. I do the conversions either as manual or when auto use the 1UZs auto and put the original transfer on the back. only special tools required aside from drill, angle grinder and M10x1.5 thread tap is a decent set of vernier calipers. And remember putting a V8 into a 4bie... it aint the LS400/Celsior that will deliver 10L/100km. It may weigh much the same but if you get better than 14L/100 you're doing well. My own Surf will deliver 10/100 but most of the time it's around 17/100 as the temptation to stand on the loud pedal is strong. Yet strangely enough the V8 cost less to run than the wifes stock 2.4 diesel auto Surf (500km to a tank around town) and is a lot more fun to drive

Hi samsdad. Yes, the temptation to put foot is sometimes irresistable! That smooth uptake and the roarrrr! when you let rip is sooooo nice. To say nothing of the push in the back. But the consumption figures I quoted above is with carefull driving. Really.

After some debate with myself whether I should start a new thread for this query I decided carry on in this one. The 1UZ in my Prado releases some light bluish grey smoke on start-up with engine at normal temperature. What could this be? What mileage the engine has done before the conversion nobody would know, but apparently it is the first series engine ('89 to '94) and after the conversion has done about 20k km (12.5k mi). What could the cause of this be?