1st or 2nd generation motor ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

thegman

Hi,

I've just finished a 1UZ into 2003 Hilux, lovely swap and goes well on LPG, I have a BMW E30 with a 1JZGTE Auto, the JZ is moving over to make way for a V8 with R154. I bought the box today.

I have chance of a 1st gen (which I used in the hilux) and a 2nd gen (black cover, NOT VVTi). Now, I understand these later engines make more slightly more power but have weaker internals. I have no plans to boost..........

1) Opinions as to whether there would be any obvious difference in power whilst driving ? I have heard suggestions that the gen 2 may be underrated powerwise.

2) Are ancillaries such as alternator, p/s pump interchangeable between the two engines.

3) Is there any chance (or should I say documented cases) that the gen 2 will fail due to hard track use but no turbo ?

Location is Thailand BTW - 1UZ just starting to become popular here. Engines still very cheap though (cost less than 1JZ-GE), and half the cost of 1JZ-GTE.

In short, looking for opinions/advice on which engine to buy. Both are available - I can buy the complete 1st gen including prop, ECU, autobox and loom for AU$650, and AU$725 for the 2nd gen, so price is not really an issue. The VVTi engines are 1500 complete, which is tempting but I don't fancy the VVTi wiring nightmare and immobiliser hassle.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_007 (5).JPG
    IMG_007 (5).JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 10
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 7
  • rsz_img_0019.jpg
    rsz_img_0019.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I would go for the earlier motor with the stronger rods.

It's high output and high RPM that kills rods, so if you're anticipating any track work at all, you'll be safer with the earlier rods.

I'd be curious to know more about your LPG system; I didn't see any injectors in your pics?

Hi,

It is the older style mixer system (much cheaper than injection), runs very well with the 1UZ, as the octane of LPG is around 105 I believe.

Total cost of this system was around AU$600 including installation, auto switching and a 96 litre tank. Sequential injection would have cost almost three times that. LPG is only 40 cents a litre here as opposed to $1.40 for 95 octane so it definitely makes sense with the V8 as "she likes a good drink".

I reckon on gas it's down on power about 15% compared to petrol. With injection there should be no power loss.

Cheers

Hi Drifty,

Finally glad to meet you, you will probably see me in court one day when I sue your ass for making me spend what can only be deemed as "an excessive amount" on my E30.

This is because it is solely your posting of your track vids that has convinced me to rip out the 1JZGTE Auto and hone in a 1UZ with R154. Those clips are awesome, that car sounds the muttz fckin nutz. Love the sound on the upshift 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. The ratios do sound perhaps a little bit long in your box tho, what box are you using ?

When I bought this E30 I had no intention of swapping a V8, but having just finished the Hilux and knowing what a lovely motor the UZ is, and seeing / hearing your car, it was really a no brainer.

I would tend to agree with you about evidence pointing toward the gen 2 motor making much more power than the *stated* gains over the gen 1. I thought you got an unfairly hard time over the dyno results, I do believe that the gains are much more considerable than some would like to believe.

However, on balance I have gone for the early engine - I want to leave myself the option of turbocharging the engine down the line, although this will likely never happen. Those rods do look much weaker on the gen 2 - that said, they will never fail under normal aspiration, and it probably makes 10% more power - so its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Here in Thailand, the ratio of gen 1 to gen 2 engines is about 10 to 1, so spares will be easier for gen 1.

So, congratulations on a lovely E30, must be one of the best, after all, its all about the drive at the end of the day and it doesn't get much better than a 4.0 V8 manual RWD in a 1050k car, especially here where there are virtually no (enforced) traffic rules and regulations or compliance tests etc. for vehicles.

Cheers