1 uzfe Manual transmision on a low budget

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

steveblade_uk

Hi all, Im new to the forum and looking for any accurate information on mating a manual transmision to the 1uz fe V8. I need to know all the options so I can make the best choice as this has to been done on a budget. Ive sourced a complete V8 with loom and ecu, afm etc and its going into a celica st185 GT4. Im planing on rwd as at the moment 4x4 transmision is going to be to expensive and complicated. Any advice would be welcome. I know this has already been done, rwd that is and with the help of my Bro who has built the only 4x4 3vz V6 celica to our knowledge I think we can manage this one with out much trouble. Wish us luck :madfawk:

I would suggest R15x gbox - adapter plate - modified 1UZ bellhousing - custom flywheel & modified release bearing.

Cheers
Clint

Motor arrived!

The 1uz fe arrived today. 90k miles complete with all ancilleries the ecu engine loom afm. The price was right less than £500 delivered to the door. It came with a spare throttle body as a bracket had been broken of it when it was lifted out of the donor car but Ive got access to mig and tig welding gear so Ive got spares, free extra TPS etc. Ive had a quick scan through the threads on the forum but ive not found much on clutches flywheels and transmisison for the 1uz fe. Toyota/lexus realy should have offered a manual option ( it would have made my life much easier). Overall the v8 looks good, all intact, plenty compression ( but not yet done a proper check), already started junking the EGR. Plenty to get on with while Im without a gearbox although ive found a W58 toyota transmission that seems to have a longer 5th gear than the others and I think a bellhousing and /or adapter plate is available.

Laters guys :happysad:

4x4

All wheel drive would be the dogs whatists!! I just dont think I can do it on my very tight budget and within the limited space of an St185 celica chassis. Ive heard of a guy who started a conversion with a 1uz fe 4x4 in an st165 using a skyline drivetrain but I dont know if it ever got finished. I would like to know more about that one. In the future Im hoping I can go FI ( prefurable turbo or twin turbo) but an all wheel drive transmission is not realy going to leave room for that I guess so im going to go with RWD and see what space is left over.

Steve,

Speak to Roger at Thor Racing near Coventry (I think). He can sort all this for your conversion in a 1 stop shop, plus the couple of prices he told me for some bits I needed seemed reasonable.

Cheers
M

HI STEVE THERES A GUY IN AUSSIE I THINK WHO MAY ALSO BE A MEMBER HERE; JUSTEN SOMETHING( FUNNY LAST NAME HAHA) AND HES DONE WHAT YOU WANNA DO(RWD) WITH TWIN TURBOS; HED BE THE MAN TO TALK TO; SOMEONE MIGHT BE ABLE TO TELL YOU HOW TO GET HOLD OF HIM; HIM AND A MATE DID THE CONVERSION REAL NICE JOB TOO. iM IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING A 1UZ INTO MY 87 ST162 (FWD-RWD) BIT OF A MISSION BUT DONT WANNA PART WITH MY OLD FAITHFUL. GOT ANY SPARE W58 OR R154 OVER THERE? CHEERS HOPE IT GOES WELL WILL LIKE TO C UPDATES

I will keep you posted

I will keep you posted as to my progress and I think R154 gearboxes are common here in the uk. I bought one for £100 to go behind my 1uz. I work full time which doesn't leave much time spare to sort this so maybe in a few months Ill be posting some vids for you guys but its all slowly slowly. I think in the St185 chasiss I will have to relocate the steering rack. This may be yet another set back Ill post more soon.:10:

hi steve are you tony`s brother if so i know him off two brutal its myself and paul putting a 1uz into mk1 mr2`s all the best with your swap podge

Yes indeed

Hi podge, yes Tony is my big bro. He's all 3vzfe'd up at the moment lol. Im sure in the new year he will have something nice finished off as I know he's very busy at the moment. I work full time so my project is going to be slow going but Ive made a start. Ill be getting help from Tony when ever he can spare the time. Have great new year podge and say hi to Paul to. Lets hope 2007 will be the year a few more special 1uzfe powered monsters take to the road and track. :yeah:

i think hel see you putin the 1uz in and thatl be it i gotta have 1 of those hope the swap goes well and keep us posted podge:biggthumpup:

Re: 1UZ-fe manual transmission.

Steve:
I built a 86 Hilux 3 years ago with a 5M-ge and Sas and it has been a blast, but alas it's time for a V8.
I'm in the process of sourcing parts for a 1UZ conversion in my 85 Hilux.
What are you planning on using for an engine management system, aftermarket or stock Toyota? According to Phil Bradshaw's article in this section on these swaps the early crown Ecu's work great on a 1UZ/5 speed combination, this is the route that I'm taking.
In my sourcing activities I was able to acquire several of these Ecu's from Japan, if you are interested in going this route, I can hook you up with an Ecu. Let me know, Canada is a little closer than Japan.

engine management system

Hi Hadmatt, Im planning on running the stock ecu untill time and money let me go forced induction. When a pair of ct26's or similar get bolted on to the 1uz ill have to go for an aftermarket management system. I think I know what Ill be using but thats a long way down the line from here. What advantages are there using the crown ecu ? Is the engine loom and sensors the same as on a UK spec Ls400?

Steve I looked at he steel shaft CT26 turbos and thought it would be great to go all Toyota. But the turbos are really bulky, and though are pretty decent for what they are, you can do a lot better for the same money for turbo's off mass produced cars like the TD05 or VG30 turbo's...

HadMatt,

The Crown ECU won't plug into your LS or SC/Soarer loom. You'll need the Crown plugs and then need to splice the plugs to the loom.

It isn't hard to get the LS/SC ECU running with a manual transmission.

Crown ECU

Rod:
I'm aware that my 120 pin loom for my 92 Majesta Uzs141 and the early crowns is not the same. Toyota plugs are very easy to change wire positions in and splicing wires is not a big deal if you can read the wiring diagrams. The great thing that I've learned about Toyota's over the years is that they often use the same parts or similiar parts on different models in the same year or subsequent years.
Steve:
The Early Crown ECU,s have three plugs 26p,16p, and 22p, I'm sure if you wander around your local salvage yard you will find an early 90's toyota with the same plug configuration on the ECU. Here in Canada a 91 4Runner loom fits the crown ECu's, I've got pictures, but for whatever reason the site won't let me post them tonight.
Rod is probably right, we could probably get our engines running with the 120 pin ECU's, but for me nothing irks me more than someone doing one of these swaps and having the check engine light lit up on the dash when they are finished. I want my swap to look like factory down to the last detail, the early Crown ECU's work just fine with a 5 speed, that's why I took the time to find some in Japan. For me it's all about getting it right the first time!
HadMatt

Thanks for the advice guys, the more info I gather the easier this will be. So far I have my 1uzfe, ive part striped it, repaired a damaged sump pan ( removed checked and refitted the oil pickup in case it was damaged). The bottom end looks good but I didn't pull bearings as the oil was particle free although plenty carbon in it. What I could see of the bores were still showing the honing cross hatch. A compression check showed all cylinders in the range 190psi to 200psi. Ive decided after pulling the inlet manifold and plenum that the heads are coming off. The only reason for this is that ingress of dirt while lifting the manifolds, even though I vacumed it to death before hand, has left crud on the backs of a few valves. Nothing to worry about realy but while its out on a stand its easy to work on. The transmission is going to be the R154 I sourced for £100, a 1uz bellhousing and a custom adapter im making. The flyhweel is going to be a fidanza style aluminium item and im planing on running a 3sgte uprated turbo pressure plate and centre plate (push type clutch not supra pull type). I have the Ls400 ecu and loom which Ill run it on untill it goes FA then the stock ecu is going to get junked. Im going down to the shed to pull the heads now. Ive got lots of pics of the work so far, when Ive got some work done to show those intrested ill post them up somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG