moving the power steering pump..

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

zen

hopefully this is the correct section..my appolgies to lovely hard working moderators if it is not...(here or swap,here or swap?)

anyway, has anyone info on how to move the power steering pump?has anyone had to move it? if so where to (no ,not to the scrap bin) and how did you fabricate up the mounting brackets (any pics?)

this concerns 1uz-fe into old range rover..

thanks

Not many options as to where you could move it.

Are you keeping the AC?? If not, you could move it there.

Another option is to move the Alt. to a different location and move the PS pump to where the ALT currently is.

An other option is to use the 2nd Gen MR2 electric motor driven PS pump and then you could install it anywhere you have room being that it doesn't have to be attacted and driven off the engine.

as its going into a range rover the alternator has to be moved to..(the steering box is large and stands well up from the chassis, and on the inside of it.) no not keeping a/c, but was going to try to fit alternator there?however it could go there and move alternator up to where steering pump used to be,prehaps i could mount it higher..(its the pump pulley that hits the steering box..)

i like the mr2 option though...just done a quick read up on it,and it seems the mk3 would be a better option,has resovoir,contoller and pump all in one..also found the diagrams to wire it up , real real easy.( go here to find out more..http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/power-steering-using-toyota-mr2-ehps-19505.html?)
.but none on ebay,though there are mk2's there..(in the uk, and at £1!)and no fabricating required,which would save time i could be using making the exhaust manifolds..modifying/making the rear sump i need (yes the standard ls400 ones hit everything)
another option is to refit the manual steering box and do away with the pump altogether..(not an option i like, what with a 2 ton 4x4 with 31+inch tyres:frown:)

p.s. rear sump required or ideas on converting/making one from front sump

Hi Zen,

I've done exactly what you want to do.

I've removed the a/c compressor and in its place I've put a Rover 200/400 power steering pump on a couple of home made brackets.

You will have to get the centre of the Lexus pulley opened out a tad so it fits over the Rover shaft spigot but its not a hard job and the Rover pump is plenty powerful enough and is small enough to be an easy fit.

Both engines are in Cobra's atm but I could try and get you some pics if interested.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Zen,

Sorry its been a few days but I have some piccies here of the pump installation. The yellow connector is just an earthing point for the engine loom onto a convenient bolt. If the pics are too small drop me a pm and I'll send them to you full size.

Cheers,

Tony