Castlemaine Rod Shop Toyota V8 Conversions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I’m half way through fitting up my motor into my 1990 dual cab 4x4 hilux, using the crs kit.
I used the engine mounts provided to mate up with the original 22r 2.4 petrol mounts, however the motor is 35mm from the bell housing, so I have had to modify my gearbox x-member to shift the box forward 35mm, witch also required the sheet metal in the tunnel to be elongated to compensate for the movement where the gear stick comes through, and the front drive shaft has been shortened and the rear lengthened.

I'm curious if most people have had to do this in the earlier 4x4 hilux or if they have modified the engine mounts and modified the firewall??

Overall I'm a happy customer :)

Attachments

• Image(254).jpg
    Image(254).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Image(292).jpg
    Image(292).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 98
dont believe what everyone says

there is no kit that fits perfectly without any mods

its so easy to make mounts

my 92 hilux was auto with 22r

i removed 22r and auto
i bolts 1uz auto in exact same spot
then i bolted engine to auto
it fitted perfect in enigne bay
rear rocker covers where 5 to 10 mm from firewall

if u move enigne forward u wil have radiator clearanc eprobs

i wish my engine sat back 20 mm but that means firewall bashing

see for the sake of moving yr mounts 35mm forward u have fult up gearshift position and tailshaft probs

the easiest by far of all the jobs on the converison is to make engine mount brackets

so personally i try to leave all transfer and man gbox where they sit

then try fit engine to mate up with them

this depends on close its to the firewall

but once u move whole transfers and boxes forward or back u need to mod both shafts etc etc etc

I’m well a wear that nothing ever “just bolts on”

I haven’t modified the crs mounts, only the gear box x-member as the engine can’t go back any further (5mm clearance) and as suggested didn’t want to bash the firewall.

The modification to x-member and drive shafts etc are done now, fits up neatly, and there are no issues with gearshift position.

I was just curious if most people doing the conversion opted to bash the firewall or bring the 5 speed forward, because I had no choice but to do one or the other J

Gloverman has done heaps of 4x4 hilux conversions, and I think in pretty much every one he has moved the box forward to fit.

If you do a 2" body lift at the same time you'll find the front driveshaft doesn't need to be shortened :)

V8 into EK Holden

Hi Greg. Thanks for your generous offer to help. I am very seriously considering the toyota V8 and auto option into my EK Holden. I have a Hr crossmember and one of your trans tunnels installed. Could you please describe the major problems or alterations needed to fit the engine and box. I am in Auckland NZ so don,t have easy access to your shop. many thanks

ek V8

Hi There I see you are in Hamilton , what do you reckon is it a good idea, If it fits in without to much trouble it would be a good option, going on what I have read.

Gloverman has done heaps of 4x4 hilux conversions, and I think in pretty much every one he has moved the box forward to fit.

If you do a 2" body lift at the same time you'll find the front driveshaft doesn't need to be shortened :)

you can massage the firewall with a 2" lift and the box does't have to be moved