BMW E30 1uzfe

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Eels4Ever

I just picked up a 1987 BMW 325e with a dead head gasket. I have tokico blue shocks and lowering springs, a 2.93:1 LSD (because I fear with a torquey toyota v8 i would be twisting axles and peeling out with a 4.1:1), and I have the stock motor and transmission completely removed. I think this is the perfect car for a 1uzfe swap. Here are my selling points:
-trunk mounted battery stock
-original motor was an iron block I6 (very very very heavy)
-originaly straight 6 was at an angle making it a very long very wide set-up
-decent transmission tunnel space
-I have seen everything from pontiac GTO motors to BMW v12's in these things
-cheap readily available rear-end and suspension (500$ us for my complete setup shipped to my door)
Does anyone have any ideas before I start ordering this motor? Questions, concerns, comments? I heard the stock subframes for the sc400 connects to the a-arms and not the body, anyone think this could be modified to fit an e30 subframe seen here (http://www.theeurodepot.com/subframe.jpg)? Does anyone know of a good recycler/importer in the midwestern States?
feedback.gif
Please give me some feedback

First, be sure to get the Bentley book for the "3" series. I've got it for the "7" and there's a wealth of info.

Secondly, you're probably planning on using a manual transmission, but if not, be forewarned that BMW's Motronic system is integrated with the engine ECU talking to the A/T ECU, similar to the way Toyota does it, although I understand it's more difficult to put in the necessary "frigs" than it is with Toyota.

Are you staying NA or going FI with this project?

John

I am planning on using a toyota transmission because transmission adapters are either costly or confusing and I dont like either. I know nothing about mutting around toyota bellhousings so I may use the sc400 automatic ( I plan on getting a motor / trans/ wiring harness / ecu from one car and throwing the whole thing into the bmw). For cost reasons I am leaving the injection stock (FI if thats what you mean *im a nooooooob) and I am only going to do custom exhaust and a KN cone intake. Im cheap, on a budget, and dont need to break every hard piece in this lil ole 3 series.
:bigeyes:

I'll bet you'd be able to weld a couple perches for the Toyota motor mounts right onto your steel subframe.
Sounds like a neat swap, but you'll have to get the emblems from the absolute slowest variation of that car to complete the sleeper effect.
I might measure the width of your engine bay, just to be sure.

I recall there being 27" of clearance from firewall to the edge of the fan on the stock 325i, but I definately need to verify this. I have heard that the engine fits into the engine bay it would be a matter of, custom motor mounts, driveshaft modification, and possibly some drive tunnel fabrication. I hear that there is an issue with the stock brake booster. I plan on disconnecting the A/C and power steering (the toyota motor is lighter than the stocker!!). I have a feeling wiring it all in and making sure it all plays together nice is going to be the hardest part. Haha consider the 318 badges ordered =~P

Eels4Ever said:
, a 2.93:1 LSD (because I fear with a torquey toyota v8 i would be twisting axles and peeling out with a 4.1:1),
feedback.gif
Please give me some feedback
from what i've read on this forum 4.1 diff is not that crazy for this motor, as they dont have much low end torque.
diff wise, you will be unimpressed with 2.93. it will do 60MPH in first gear though.
i had this diff ratio in My conversion till i blew it up. it was fairly slow till 2500rpm then it pulled like a 14 year old.
crusing at 60MPH will also not suit the 2.93 as its too tall this is with the Auto.

i went with 3.45 LSD and it was a good balance, i am going manual now, and will see if maybe the 3.45 is still a good choice? i have 3.23LSD also available but its not much difference, depends on the ratios of the gear box for me(i have not checked yet)

0-60 in first gear is cool if its a new z06, but not what I call exciting with only 250ish rwhp (and thats generous). Thanks for the heads up. I may try using 3.45:1 lsd from a bmw 5 series, or If i get tired of good handling and i get a few more hundred horsepower my uncle is tryin to convince me to put in a solid rear axle from an old camaro stock car (4.1:1 ford rearend w/ 10 in slicks) :sorry:

Eels4Ever said:
0-60 in first gear is cool if its a new z06, but not what I call exciting with only 250ish rwhp (and thats generous). Thanks for the heads up. I may try using 3.45:1 lsd from a bmw 5 series, or If i get tired of good handling and i get a few more hundred horsepower my uncle is tryin to convince me to put in a solid rear axle from an old camaro stock car (4.1:1 ford rearend w/ 10 in slicks) :sorry:
with the auto 3.45 is quite nice, still good on the highway, still pretty quick from a standstill. mine did not wheelspin on take off with 3.45LSD and 215/65/14 tyres which are not by any means GRIPPY tires(tires for you, tyres for us)

I found a local low-mileage drivetrain that should be suitable. (try www.car-part.com all mah stateside friends, super cheap!)

I stole these measurements from another thread and converted to inches:
Overall Width Of motor, including dipstick 26
Overall length of motor, not including engine fan 27
Height of motor 23.5

I need to pull and pay for that motor this weekend then this project will be under the wrench, pics soon!

info required for newby

Hi guys,
I am new here and am drooling already I am very interested to find out more about this conversion. I have an 85 323i that has done 250k and is up for a rebuild.

I could stroke the 323 to 325 and get about 190bhp (not bad in 1200kg car) for about $3000. Or could I go a bit further say $5000 and have a fully engineered (NSW) 1uzfe in my E30? that is the question I pose.

my background is a fully qualified mechanic have my own workshop so looking at doing most of the labour myself.

would like to hear from some guys who have done this conversion 1uzfe Matt are you there?

I would like to know more about the brakes especially the booster could someone clarify if this has to be remotely mounted?
Also what radiator was used?
has anyone got pics of the underneath so I can see engine mounts etc?
Cheers.

325es

Im doing a 1986 325es 1uz swap right now. I'm using the entire wiring setup,ECU, and dash cluster from the LS400. I'm using a JDM LS400 transmission with a Lextreme stall converter. I don't know what gears are in the rear. I started with the tail lights and worked my way forward. Right now I'm working on a way to use the stock A/C from the LS400. I've already mounted the (cruise control, resistor, igniter, and coolant overflow) under the hood. I've got the complete wiring from the Dash to the tail lights in the BMW. The easiest thing to do is to take all of the plastic tunneling off of the wiring harness after you take it out of the Lexus. I used small wire ties to keep the wires snug before putting it into the BMW. The car is going to think its an LS400 but will be 1200lbs or more lighter. I'm also looking to adapt the fuel tank into the trunk and get rid of the old two pump set up from the BMW. It doesn't look like its too much work and i've already got the wires ran into the trunk. I've got the tank out of the LS400 and i've bent the top and bottom mounting tabs to allow for more clearance into the trunk, I'm going to need to cut two holes to allow for the 3 fuel connections to drop down over the top of the rear diff. I may need to air chisel the sound deadener off the trunk floor to allow more room. I'm going to move the brake booster or customize the LS400s into it next and maybe move the steering column if needed. I'm working 12 hours a day on this, so I'll be done soon. I started swaping the parts into the BMW 2 days ago. I've got $500 in the BMW and around $2500 in the Lexus LS400. The driveshaft is around $150 to be cut and welded in Indianapolis. I had one done a few weeks ago for something else. If anyone needs pics let me know.

Accelerator pedal assy from LS400 to BMW E30

These are the pictures that will load right now. Check back tomorrow or maybe late tonight and I'll take more on a smaller pixel setting. These pictures are of the accelerator pedal assembly from my 92 LS400. I used a bracket off the side of the BMWs dashboard to make up for the slanted sheetmetal. I used one hole off the top of the original brake boosters mounting and I drilled two holes next to it to allow the accelerator cable through. I used a hole saw for the cable hole. I cut the third hole off the thermoset plastic bracket and used the bracket from the side of the dashboard to make the plastic bracket sit straight. I bolted two bolts and nuts through both brackets and the fire wall and then tack welded the lower and upper sides of the bracket to the floor. I'll put pictures up of the booster next and the underside. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the Pictures. they won't show on here but i can view them under my attachments.

92 LS400 A/C and heat box into E30 1986 325es

Here's what I did in the past few days. I gutted everything under the dash that said BMW on it including the A/C,heater box/blower. had to cut the passenger side perch and the structure behind it in order to get the A/C box to mount through the firewall. I took the A/C box from the LS and removed the top part and part of the heater box. I made 3 brackets mounting it to the upper dash structure. I had to cut a small square just below the power point under the hood to allow the A/C connectors to come through. I also drilled the two holes for the studs to protrude through. I had to cut a enough out of the left side of the box to allow the LS400s instrument cluster to sit right. I also removed the bottom ducting from the box to allow for a spot to put a radio. Basically I'm going to have a square that opens in middle of the console and that is where all of the heat or air will come from. I'll have a screen made that covers it. The car is so small though that I don't think it will need any more vents. The LS400 had the best A/C and heat.
The dash had to be cut so it would go all the way back in and I removed the center vents and installed the LS400 climate control. I made two lower brackets to mount the cluster, however I think I will notch the dash so the cluster can sit back more. There is a lot of wiring plugs to connect. I cleaned up the harnesses before putting them in the car. I removed all of the plastic tunneling and put new electrical tape in certain spots. I'm also going to mount the front panel of the glove box over the A/C box. If you look in the pictures you'll see I mounted the ECU above the blower motor and the time delay relays on the side of the blower box. These Lexus parts are all much better quality than the old BMW parts The wiring is 10 times the quality.

the pictures are there every other time I look

Keep checking back. The pictures seem to be there most of the time or there's a delay.

Pics with a portrait orientation will not display properly on this forum. Make sure they have a landscape type orientation.

In other words, a photo that is 640 wide by 800 high will not display, but one that is 800 wide by 640 high will.

LS400 Turn signal assy into E30

Lets see if I have my camera set right this time, then I'll put more pictures up otherwise I will email them to you. This is the turn signal assembly. First I cut the alloy ignition assy off the BMW and trashed it. I used the bracket from the LS400s steering column and welded the steering column bearing from the BMW to the front side. Then I welded the plate from the back side to the column tube. Then I drilled the 4 holes in the bracket. I cut a piece out of the turn signal switch on the top so it would go onto the tube and I bolted it to the plate. I'm using the M3 wheel.