Anybody interested in AE86/1UZ conversion thread?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

yubastard

Hello! I'm gathering the required parts to do the blasphemy of parting a SC400 '92 and using the 1uz engine, a r154 tranny and suspension components/brakes/diff for a AE86 project.

I know there some people who wouldn't like it, but I want to do it. And since it seems lextreme as a site gives a lot to the community, thought this would be the nice place to post the making of and give back to the community as well, posting pics and whatnot. It's gonna take a while because I don't have the greatest of resources but it will be a fun adventure and invention. I already have both cars in my shop and the r154 tranny, just missing a suitable supra LSD, but, for this and I'm guessing many other things, I would be needing lots of help from you guys as well...

It's going to be a monster (hopefully twinturbo), and probably weird looking with the rear suspension width as stock SC400, but I like widebodies look. It'll probably won't work, but at least you'll see the trial and error and tribulations.

Would you guys like it? Or should I look into another forum?

Yub

The Nissan IRS rear ends fit quite well in them..
Some mean cars come from your area..
Paradise racing etc..

yes, ive seen that. found one nissan silvia rear end in ebay for $200 no reserve, but it was only 30 seconds left when I saw it and had no money at the time so I cried because of lost great opportunity. Still, gonna try with the lexus one, see how it fits, a few more inches to each side do not worry me.

There are some very good mechanics in my island: top three fastest rotaries in the world are from Puerto Rico. Yet it is a shame the government does not want to encourage this, I think it would be the greatest thing to take advantage of this cultural phenomenon to increase mechanical knowledge and develop valuable skills in youth. Thanks, anyways.

Having driven the 86 albeit for a short period of time I feel it is really a good chassis screaming out for lot`s of power and better braking.

Yea, go for it, this will be a very interesting topic indeed.

ZR8tt, I built that forged motor with the To4Z you recommended btw...
Never installed it or run it though as I went with a Nissan Rb28 Tomei motor instead.
Ill put into something one day though..

It's going to be a monster (hopefully twinturbo), and probably weird looking with the rear suspension width as stock SC400, but I like widebodies look. It'll probably won't work, but at least you'll see the trial and error and tribulations. Yub

It will work if you want it to--and this is definitely the forum you want to be on if you are really going to do this.

I'm not sure what an AE86 would look like with the SC400 track width, but here is my TE37 on Sc400 suspension, which is 7" wider.

Looking forward to watching your project.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2679.jpg
    IMG_2679.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 13
It will work if you want it to--and this is definitely the forum you want to be on if you are really going to do this.

I'm not sure what an AE86 would look like with the SC400 track width, but here is my TE37 on Sc400 suspension, which is 7" wider.

Looking forward to watching your project.

Mark

Oh man! it's you!! the "NO STYLE" guy with the old Corolla!!

Dude, I just logged in to post a pic of your car and say: "Dammit! This guy's just done did it!!! Almost exactly like I want to!"

Man, I was looking for pics of the rear SC400 suspension on google and I ran onto your post! You are great! Definitely a inspiration. The person I was least expecting to find, yet it proves this is the right forum...

You did the whole chassis thing, but I'm thinking about doing it compact style, and reinforce with the rollcage. Just thinking I could not use the SC or the AE86 shocks, so I thought of using a swing on each shock turret top and then go with horizontal shock mounting and, hopefully, less expensive generic shocks... might give me an adjustable suspension and some margin for error, height-wise.

You did the whole chassis thing, but I'm thinking about doing it compact style, and reinforce with the rollcage. Just thinking I could not use the SC or the AE86 shocks, so I thought of using a swing on each shock turret top and then go with horizontal shock mounting and, hopefully, less expensive generic shocks... might give me an adjustable suspension and some margin for error, height-wise.

I might have gone the roll cage route, if the whole bottom of the car wasn't rusted out and/or otherwise really mangled. I figured that since it was all going to be cut out anyway, might as well go full chassis.

You definitely can't use the SC struts up front--way too tall. I used some cheap QA1 coilovers, they barely fit thru the upper control arm. Simple, effective, and not too expensive. The rear you still can use the stock struts if you want to keep it simple--your strut tops will just be kind of high. Doing the horizontal shock thing in the back should be no problem, though.

I really wanted to run inboard shocks on mine, but I couldn't get the motor back far enough to be out of the way to run them across the engine bay. I remember considering running them front to back or back to front, but I don't remember why I didn't go that route. Once the front was not an option, I didn't do the back either. Maybe you can figure something else out.

Mark

I might have gone the roll cage route, if the whole bottom of the car wasn't rusted out and/or otherwise really mangled. I figured that since it was all going to be cut out anyway, might as well go full chassis.

You definitely can't use the SC struts up front--way too tall. I used some cheap QA1 coilovers, they barely fit thru the upper control arm. Simple, effective, and not too expensive. The rear you still can use the stock struts if you want to keep it simple--your strut tops will just be kind of high. Doing the horizontal shock thing in the back should be no problem, though.

I really wanted to run inboard shocks on mine, but I couldn't get the motor back far enough to be out of the way to run them across the engine bay. I remember considering running them front to back or back to front, but I don't remember why I didn't go that route. Once the front was not an option, I didn't do the back either. Maybe you can figure something else out.

Mark

Nice tips. As I'm seeing it in my mind, it's the intake manifold that's too high for me. The plan is to do a dual throttle, dual plenum intake manifold that should be a tad shorter with the butterflies to the front, then I'll just mount the shocks to a central point in the firewall, like the 3 point stiffening bars for ae86 that also attach there. But yes, gotta be careful with the clearance, tho I don't mind the springs being seen thru the hood, maybe thru some cutouts, but that's not the plan, i'd like to keep it smooth :)

Just bought a used Bridgeport milling machine just for this project :D