1UZFE Auto Gearboxes

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

archangel007

Hi Guys,

Brand new to the forum, and wanted to get some feedback on the std slusho that comes with the 1UZFE engine.

I am putting a 1UZFE into my '56 F100 project truck (yes, all the Ford boys threw stones at me and called me heretic) becuase I can fit a V8 that is smaller lighter and produces higher psecific outputs than a Ford or Chevy small block.

The question is, how strong are the standard slusho's on the 1UZFE, as I plan to supercharge to get about 400hp at the treads. :feedback:

Thanks,
Tricky

P.S. Just bought my 1UZ today!!!

You'll be at the upper limits of the A340E if you're looking for 400 HP at the wheels. Those of us who own Supras have a slightly heavier duty version of the A340E in our cars and they give up the ghost (eventually) when we go over 400-450.

There are some rebuilding techniques that you can do to make the box stronger, but for hauling around a large, heavy pickup truck, you might want to look at using a GM or Ford auto and just adapting the 1UZ to it. There are some adaptor kits available to do this.

Cribbj,

Thanks for the info - I thought these gearboxes were OK for about 400-500 hp, seems I was wrong.

Can you give me a lead on the adapter kits to take the GM, or other, gearboxes - cant seem to find a lot of info.

BTW - the '56 Effie weighs less than a standard Corvette, or for those of us here in Australia, a Commodore or Falcon.

Cheers,
Tricky

I believe CRS make an adaptor for the UZ to the GM TH400, and David (Lextreme) is using one of these in his project.

Then you'll need a modified torque convertor that is UZ on one side, and TH400 on the other. I believe David has developed one of these.

Don't know if anyone has adapted a Ford A/T to the UZ yet.

Tricky,

how'dyou go with the conversion. I'm looking at buying a 1955 F100 and doing the same thing.

Cheers JES

H JES,

I have had some awful time getting hold a of a decent '56 F100.

Looked at several over here and havent found one that's worth anywhere near the asking price. I'll keep looking though, might have to import one from the US even.

When I do get one eventually, it will have a supercharged 1UZFE engine and trans for sure!

Anyway, how is everything in the land of the Long White Cloud? Do you have your truck already?

Cheers,
Tricky

We have a supercharged 1uz in the fleet of cars we work on running an auto. We are fortunate that I have a pile of them out the back. I had a cleanup recently and scrapped about 5 and they have built up to twice that again. If we blow one another will be waiting to go in no worries. He is a mate so there won't be a charge even. If you did have to buy one in NZ or when I sell them they are only $100 which is twice scrap value. Good conversion by they way. I've always wanted something like that for a workshop parts vehicle. Cheers

Tricky,

pickings may be better over in NZ? The '55 I'm trying to get approval from the financial controller for is here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=193824836
I haven't looked at it yet. It currently has a 390 V8 with auto so weight savings would have to be close to 150 kg.
I read somewhere that 400 rwhp is close to the limit of what you expect an old F truck chassis to handle. I'll see if I can find the ref.

Cheers

JES

JES,

Thats a nice bit o' kit alright. Looks to be in very good condition too for its age! Even the tray looks good. Have you inspected cab corners and the usual spots for tinworm? Pity its not RHD though.....

Keep a lookout for me for a small window '56 in NZ, shouldnt be too much $$$ to get it shipped across the pond.

I am going to completely box my chassis from front to back including integrated tailshaft loop etc. I have already tracked down a MkIII Jag IFS and IRS out of a V12 sovereign to handle the suspension duties.

Not going too radical with the mods, just flip-front for the cab, and a nice interior. The last one I looked at th guy wanted $6k for a cab that was complete, but rusty and dented, and it was sitting on a '58 F250 chassis so it was not original (like about 500mm not original!).

Anyway, I'll keep looking but if you find a cheap '56 Effie thats restorable let me know.

Gloverman - how did your auto's styand up to the punishment of the supecharged 1UZ?? Any secrets to lnegevity and being able to handle that much torque?

Cheers,
Tricky

Hello Tricky - At the moment it's a standard auto with fresh oil and away we go , As I said I have them laying around so replacements will cost nothing , It's already been to one track day and no problems so far. Lex does a upgraded torque converter which would be a good idea. Cheers