World First 1uz 3rd gen Rx7

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

drift5150

Started out with a 1994 r2 rx7(super clean), 67k mi. wanted to do somthing different, so the motor is in and fits great, only a couple little issues to deal with(maybe $300)
my goal is to have 400 rwhp with a big single turbo setup(manifolds are on the way already)

in under 2 months.

here I go!!!

i plan on makeing a complete dairy (pics too) so ill have the whole story when its all said and done.

ill take any advice or guidance.

Started out with a 1994 r2 rx7(super clean), 67k mi. wanted to do somthing different, so the motor is in and fits great, only a couple little issues to deal with(maybe $300)
my goal is to have 400 rwhp with a big single turbo setup(manifolds are on the way already)

in under 2 months.

here I go!!!

i plan on makeing a complete dairy (pics too) so ill have the whole story when its all said and done.

ill take any advice or guidance.

I've often thought about this same setup sans turbo for a bit now as my Supra conversion has been winding down and I look for another project. It is great to see someone else tackling this conversion!

With a lighter body than a MkIV Supra and most likely cheaper rollers (engine-less bodies) out than the MkIV's as well this would make for an inexpensive buildup and an excellent handling, fast accelerating car.

I would recommend getting the car corner weighted after you have completed the swap and re-balance the weight distribution to maintain the 50/50 ratio the RX-7's enjoyed with their rotary engines.

I'm sure some of you are familiar with the Supra7 project from a few years ago right? An FD had a 2JZ-GTE fitted to it plus some various other mods to make for one insane car!:

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0112tur_toyota_supra_mazda_rx_7/index.html

FD-1-UZ

sorry about hose pictures it was from my cell phone, and it was dark, ill get you guys better pictures asap.

and im calling a world first because ive never seen one or herd of one, but after i started thinking about it, it just made to much cents. so now that ive got my head wraped around this i figuered how im gana go about this,...

first off im going to half to mount the engine in the car, i got a mega squirt that i will be running for fuel management. the fd(rx7) was already completly striped down to a bare chassie i must have dropped atleast 500 lbs(maybe alot more idk really) off the car with the full gutting, carbon fiber hood and hatch, all lexan windows, and fiberglass body(fenders, bumpers,sideskirts). i will definetly get it weight and balance when its all setup. gotta keep that 50/50 distribution.

ill get a bunch of pictures and the start of the write up, posted 2maro
i plan to share all my details and steps with you guys so there is a good benchmark for the new fd1uz swap

here my question to you guys,

here the plan, i got the motor(1uz) and am planning on running a big single turbo, how much hp do you think i can get out of the motor before it takes a crap? im guessing right around the 400hp range, hopefully that at the rear wheels.

ive got a great tuner, i will upgrade fuel system to some crazy over the top setup, got the 2 6al boxs like i saw u guys were doing for spark, nology wires and the right plugs for the job.

also how much hp before the stock tranny takes a crap?

what do you guys think the best manual gear box swap?

i really want to put an older chevy 4 speed in it just so theres super long gears.

well whatcha think?

J

Sorry to bust you bubble but there are a couple over here in NZ and I just heard of another one getting done. One in the central north island is turboed with heaps of grunt. Good swap though

Cheers

sorry about hose pictures it was from my cell phone, and it was dark, ill get you guys better pictures asap.

and im calling a world first because ive never seen one or herd of one, but after i started thinking about it, it just made to much cents. so now that ive got my head wraped around this i figuered how im gana go about this,...

first off im going to half to mount the engine in the car, i got a mega squirt that i will be running for fuel management. the fd(rx7) was already completly striped down to a bare chassie i must have dropped atleast 500 lbs(maybe alot more idk really) off the car with the full gutting, carbon fiber hood and hatch, all lexan windows, and fiberglass body(fenders, bumpers,sideskirts). i will definetly get it weight and balance when its all setup. gotta keep that 50/50 distribution.

ill get a bunch of pictures and the start of the write up, posted 2maro
i plan to share all my details and steps with you guys so there is a good benchmark for the new fd1uz swap

here my question to you guys,

here the plan, i got the motor(1uz) and am planning on running a big single turbo, how much hp do you think i can get out of the motor before it takes a crap? im guessing right around the 400hp range, hopefully that at the rear wheels.

ive got a great tuner, i will upgrade fuel system to some crazy over the top setup, got the 2 6al boxs like i saw u guys were doing for spark, nology wires and the right plugs for the job.

also how much hp before the stock tranny takes a crap?

what do you guys think the best manual gear box swap?

i really want to put an older chevy 4 speed in it just so theres super long gears.

well whatcha think?

J

Are you sticking with the stock FD manual transmission to start off with? If so, I'd check out rx7club.com and see what numbers have been pulled with it. Single turbo 13b-rew engines have been pushing some outstanding numbers, just check to see what those guys are running for transmission.

Otherwise I favor the Toyota R154, those that can afford it have the V160 and some others here favor the T56. As for the turbo question there are plenty of guys there that can provide a better answer than I can since I'm still N/A ;) However, if you're keeping stock CR then you're a bit limited by how much you'll be able to boost. Watch your charge cooling and fuel supply. I recall someone on here stating they could get to 12psi on the stock CR but whether that was on race fuel and alcohol injection is another story.

Search around while waiting for replies. A lot of your questions have probably been asked/answered before in the past. Looking forward to the build thread!

Sorry to bust you bubble but there are a couple over here in NZ and I just heard of another one getting done. One in the central north island is turboed with heaps of grunt. Good swap though

Cheers

I wouldn't be discouraged from doing the swap though. Maybe you are the first in the US? I remember lots of people came out of the woodwork when I tried to put down what number I would be with my MkIII Supra swap w/R154 here in the US (having realized many people outside of the US had already done it and a few people in the US had done it (and projects are in the works even as we build our own....Jake beat me by a couple of months I think). I looked around multiple forums, various video and car sites, and Googled a bit to try and get some reasonable numbers and people still refute the number. Either way, just as we say in gaming too, screenshot or it didn't happen (meaning post specs/pics) ;)

any details of the other fd 1uz swaps??? as we are just about to do a couple in uk...cheers...

As above any updates? Pics etc...Am getting into similar drift build here in Ireland. @ Gloverman do you have links to any of the builds NZ?