what oil are you using?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

340i

i had castrol magnatec in my car (10w40 semi synthetic) but im not sure what i should actually be using. would a 5w30, 5w40, or 5w50 be best or should i just carry on with the same stuff? will it make a difference to the engine performance and/or longevity of the motor? i have also noticed not many brands do the 5w30.
advice appreciated. cheers.

I use Mobil 1 15w-50
lighter weight oils will free up some HP, and slightly better gas mileage
Heaver weight oils handle heat better, and improve motor life in high HP conditions.

i was advised to Use penrite HPR 15 by the importer, they have a MX73 cressida drift car and use that oil.
the previous owner was using Castrol GTX3 due to being compatable with LPG,
i will watch this thread though and "get the good oil"

i might have to search that site some more coz i couldnt find the tests.

to all the kiwis out there, repco is having a sale right now (till the 30th), 25% everything, including oils, with most very close to cost price.
examples (all 4 litres)
pennzoil 5w50 100%synthetic: $51
mobil 1 5w-50: $53
Shell helix 5w-40: $42

does anyone in nz know who sells penrite oils, and how much it will be?

thanks for the link. some things i found interesting were
-tickford '220kw' v8's only have 135kw at the wheels. thats some decent losses. hmmm. could they be exaggerating their power figures a bit? i am now quite chuffed with my 181rwkw.
-different countries have different oils. ie, usa dont get mobil 1 5w-50, and thats the common mobil 1 we can easily get in nz.
-aussie gets cheaper oil than in nz. (the above prices are selling at close to repcos cost price)
-i am still undecided as to which oil to put in my car.
-there is alot about oils i didn't know about.

Castrol recommended magnetic for my boat, so I am running on that at the moment.
This may be a sin, however, I like to run one oil for everything on my farm and use castrol RX super in all our tractors, earthmoving equipment, trucks, toyota landcruisers and petrol motors. It is excellent for heavy duty, high performance diesels, and also rated for petrol engines. Am toying with using it in my boat. Any opinions??

You guys in NZ get all the good stuff; that's where my favorite oil addtive is from.
I have been using Mobil 1 0W-40 with 5% Powerup anti wear additive.
I wouldn't mind trying the Shell helix to see how it compares to what I'm using, at least in terms of power added.
Oil is just plain oil until you start putting exotic additives into it, either before or after you purchase it, costs more either way, that's why special racing oils are so expensive.

Most Toyota engine's in the last 15 years specify 10w-30 & 5w-30. While most Toyota engine's of the last 10 years specify 5w-30. I wouldn't run thicker than that. It's just a waste.
Toyota currently has started to use 0w-20weight oil.
In my '93 3vz-fe I'm running Mobil1 synthetic. 3 quarts of 5w-30, 2 quarts of 5w-20.

Oils, like everything else, are far different every 10 years they have to develop it.

Next oil change I'm swapping to straight 5w-20, and I plan on running 6-7 quarts when I get time to re-turbo... On long duration, high lift cams no less... Spinning past the 7000rpm cut-offs.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000463014.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Even Toyota thinks think oils are a bad idea in this day & age.

Me either.
Bobistheoilguy.com is really where any lubrication, or fluid questions should be routed to.

Additives are near bad. The oil companies do a good job formulating the oils & do so to achive certain things. The only time I can condone an additive is if you're flushing the crankcase to get rid of gel/sludge & sedimants & then you're talking only running it for 10 min- couple hours depending on what you use.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm