oil filter housing question

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mat Grant

Hi all,

Has anyone taken the oil filter housing off a soarer engine? I'm fitting the 1uzfe into a Lotus chassis, and there is very little clearance from the steering rack.

If anyone has an exploded diagram of the housing as it fits onto the block I'd be grateful to see it.

Or a quick summary of how to remove the oil filter housing from the block?

What I'm hoping is that I'll be able to mill down the housing to bring the oil filter housing closer to the block. ie vertically higher and closer to the crank centre line. The vertical level is the bigger issue.

Is there a remote oil filter option?

Last resort, does anyone know the thickness of the pipe that comes down out of the housing then goes into the filter, if a few mm could be ground off the bottom at the 90 degree bend, that woul probably suffice.

Any responses or suggestions appreciated, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Cheers, Mat Grant.

Hi, I had the same problem with the stock filter assmbly touching the chassis on my Hilux.
It just bought a filter relocation kit which meant I could fit a much bigger filter too.
latwest038.jpg
engine1-2.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thanks - that looks different to mine, does your kit just replace the filter itself? Mine has an attached bracket on the block that puts the filter down and perpendicular, looks different fgrom yours (assuming that you've just replaced the filter with your kit).

Cheers, Mat.

Thanks - that looks different to mine, does your kit just replace the filter itself? Mine has an attached bracket on the block that puts the filter down and perpendicular, looks different fgrom yours (assuming that you've just replaced the filter with your kit).

Cheers, Mat.

This is the kitI used..http://www.summitracing.com/parts/T...=TRD%2D1113&N=700+4294907647+115&autoview=sku

You'll also need an extra threaded nipple, the same as the one in the kit, to screw the filter to the remote adapter. They're obtainable from hydraulic spares shops.

Matt,

Would a smaller filter help. I am led to believe that a Renault 5 Turbo filter is half the depth and fits fine.

Having said that I wonder if the LS 400 filter and oil cooler location would work better than the soarer as it comes out from the block at an angle and not perpendicular to the block. If so, I may know someone who might want to do a straight swap with you as a perpendicular oil filter location is what he needs.

Can you post some piccies or a diagram of the space you have to mount the oil filter and then perhaps the collective Lexus brainpower could get to work.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi,

Thanks for the replies - I'll take some photos and get them on the forum. It's not the filter itself that is the problem, that has adequate space. As it runs perpendicular to the crank it can be as long as needed, there is lots of space. It is the housing that the filter screws onto - the bottom of it touches the steering rack

There must be a similar issue with the soarer - because otherwise Toyota wouldn't have needed to make a different housing.

Gloverman - thanks for the photo link, yes if that does what I think it does then yes it would help. Unless it just bolts onto the exisitng filter housing, in which case I wouldn't be able to use it without the housing.

TonyD - yes I'd be interested in a swap for a housing that goes straight into the block - I'd probably need the short filter then but that would be ok. The steering rack clearance is the issue.

Can anyone give a quick verbal description of how the housing is attached to the block (and how to remove it)

On a post about a 5.2 stroker version of the 1uz there are some photos of a stripped block that has the same oil filter housing as mine - I can't find it right now though, I'll add a link when I find it.

Cheers, Mat.

Cheers, Mat.

Its just a few bolts to remove the housing, you need to remove the aircon for easy access.

Here is what I had machined up and I have a couple spare as I had the machinist do a few at the same time to save costs.
Easy to run to a remote filter & or cooler setup.
Pm me if you want one.

oil_adaptor_002.jpg

oil_adaptor_001.jpg

Thanks - that looks good, PM sent!

While on the subject, if I install something like this and run a separate oil cooler of the oil filter feed, how do I plug up or bypass the existing oil cooler pipework?

Thanks, Mat Grant.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 182
  • carz (7).jpg
    carz (7).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 181
Cyberdiamond, a couple of questions:

1) What's the size of the thread in those adapters?

2) Can your guy make these plates with male AN fittings, instead of female pipe thread?

I know the obvious answer is to get male AN adapters and just screw them in, but there's a loss of cross sectional area doing it that way.

Cyberdiamond, a couple of questions:

1) What's the size of the thread in those adapters?

2) Can your guy make these plates with male AN fittings, instead of female pipe thread?

I know the obvious answer is to get male AN adapters and just screw them in, but there's a loss of cross sectional area doing it that way.

I can answer the first question....3/4 - 16. Or AN -8

I can answer the first question....3/4 - 16. Or AN -8
Sorry incorrect check below.

1) The thread is 1/2" NPT (-10AN) size lines.

2) They could/can be made with the fittings directly welded on (and I did consider that). The issue that I have is if you damage the end of an AN fittings which is easy to do (eg drop a spanner on it etc) they cant be fixed and you will need to replace the lot. Done this way you only need to unscrew the fitting and replace it. It just makes it more servicable for life this way.

The cross sectional loss (if any) was very minimal for these sizes and it is already slightly larger than the factory holes.

Sorry, just to clarify this point; that internal thread is actually 1/2" NPT, and you've intended it to be used with -10 AN male adapters, right?

I hear you about the potential for damage with a welded on, or machined male adapters. With the plates I've used, I opted for welded on, but I try to always keep caps on the AN threads whenever the hoses are disconnected.

Interesting that you found there's still more cross sectional area with the screwed in fittings than with the OEM setup. I need to have another look at that.

Sorry incorrect check below.

1) The thread is 1/2" NPT (-10AN) size lines.

2) They could/can be made with the fittings directly welded on (and I did consider that). The issue that I have is if you damage the end of an AN fittings which is easy to do (eg drop a spanner on it etc) they cant be fixed and you will need to replace the lot. Done this way you only need to unscrew the fitting and replace it. It just makes it more servicable for life this way.

The cross sectional loss (if any) was very minimal for these sizes and it is already slightly larger than the factory holes.

I stand corrected.

It's just nice to be noticed sometimes.:eek:

Hi Cyberdiamond,

Did yuo get my PM? Definitelty interested in the adaptor - could you list it on ebay with a buy it now?

Btw any suggestions to the question I posted earlier? - If I install something like this and run a separate oil cooler of the oil filter feed, how do I plug up or bypass the existing oil cooler pipework?

Thanks, Mat Grant.

Mat: I did get your PM and replied straight away and just re-fowarded it again. Not sure why you would not have got it?

I could put it on ebay if you wanted to pay a bit extra to cover the fees/charges but I can take paypal either way.

John: that is correct 1/2" NPT to be used with -10AN fittings and lines.

Although I guess if someone really wanted to use -8AN lines they could use 1/2" NPT to -8AN adaptors but I would recommeadand -10AN.

Hi,

Thanks, I've PMd you, but posting here in case it doesn't work - my PMs seems to be a bit erratic! I would like to buy one - please can you put it on ebay with a buy it now, my postcode is GU47 0SQ (England). Please either post here or mail me on [email protected] when it is listed. Thanks very much!

Cheers, Mat.

Hi Cyberdiamond,

I bought the adaptor off ebay - please can you let me know when you will be able to post it? I sent you as message on ebay but in case you get it here first... If you can let me know when I can excpect to receive it that would be great.

Cheers, Mat.