What is this unit?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JamesN

Hi guys, I don't know what is this thing on my old motor. My new one does not have it. It seem like some sort of vacuum circulation or something. I want to know how important this is. I have to delete it since my new motor does not have ports on the side of the heads like my old motor. Would it be ok to delete this unit? Any sensor problem I have to worry about? Please help. Thank you.
Old engine.

New engine.

Looks like something to do with the EGR or smog control.

Use www.toyotdiy.com your VIN and the part numbers to try and identify them, I don't see that deleting them will be a problem. I have seen some motors from UZZ32 Soarer's with a similar set up but they usually have a big alloy housing attached to the timing case and an airpump driven off the fanbelt. Now the engines I speak of are US spec only and JDM doesn't have it

Gloverman is right. Its an air pump to oxidize more emissions. These pumps are usually belt driven but its sorta cool to see toyota taking an electric approach. Basically it pulls intake charge based on throttle input (vacuum diaphram) and injects air into each cylinder just after the exhuast valve. I have owned 2 1uzfe's in California and with all our stingent laws, I still have never seen one of these!

Some more info if your interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection