Weak point of transmission? Shifting or clutch pack?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dweinhart

For those with NOS..... At what point does the A340e give out? Is it the 2nd gear sprag or is it the clutch? I am trying to found out if running a RPM switch so the tranny does not shift while under power if the transmission will take more abuse. Or is it the clutch packs that let go?

A stock A340 cant take much more than about 200kw at the rear wheels before slipping clutches, so I guess it depends on how much nitrous you are running. They make around 150rwkw stock. A 50 shot should see you at the limit.

2nd Gear sprag will generally suffer on heavy throttle in the 1-2 shift.

Heat is going to be the killer of all autos and the A340 is not known for its strength, so I would suggest you consider upgrading the oil cooler, shimming the accumulator springs & winding up the pressure regulator.

I will doing these mods to mine, prior to converting it to a T400. How long it lasts, though, is the question.

Last edited:
I am already running a cooler and have installed transgo valvebody kit which includes stronger springs and drilling out for higher pressure. Thanks for the info..Guess I will look for stronger clutches

I am not actually running NOS. I am using a t76 turbo coupled with a brushless electric motor so it electronically shuts off boost at rpm cut and reactivates it at a set rpm in next gear. Hence I never shift under boost. I am trying to see how much I can turn up the boost on this thing before I lose my tranny. My brushless motor, battery bank and ESC will handle 75,000 rpm on t76 which translates to about 600hp but I know better than to turn it all the way up. Right now I have it set for 8psi which is about 50% of it's potential