V8TT Supra Project Diary

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

KazeSupra

And so it begins...

Hello everyone. The project finally began after quite a long time of research and discovery. The goal is to put a 1UZ-FE with 2 turbos into a MKIV Supra shell. The shell hasn't been bought yet, but I figure I need to at least get the engine going and I can find a shell at a later date. Anyhow, here are the goals of the project:

1UZ-FE Swap into a MKIV
Twin turbos
700-800rwhp @ 18psi of boost on 93 octane gasoline
8000RPM redline
200mph+ Top Speed
1.0+ Lateral Gs cornering

And here's (supposedly) how I'm going to accomplish those goals:

Forged pistons and rods
ARP everything
9.0:1 static compression
Internally balanced assembly
Street ported head
Upgraded springs and retainers
2JZ Ferrea Valves, +1mm oversize
Upgraded cams (choice of either billet or reground, as reground are half the price)
Twin Turbos (choice of either T3/T04S 60-1 .48-.63 A/R or GT35R)
180 degree turbo headers (custom)
Dual Exhaust (Custom w/cat retention)
Dual TB intake
3 core intercooler (possible V-Mount, but no decision on that yet)
COP conversion (Camry coils)
Standalone (choice of either AEM EMS and HKS F-Con V Pro)

Some pictures:

Questions and comment are welcome. Criticism is also, but to be constructive, if you have something to say that's negative, say it, but say what you would do to fix it. I would like to keep this a discussion and as such, keep it as informative as possible. Hope you all enjoy.

Stage 01 - Disassembly - In Progress
Stage 02 - Clean up - Pending

Christopher

Also of note, there will be quite a few things for sale. PM me or send me an email ([email protected]) if you need something and I'll see if I can accomodate you.

Now, Day 1 progress report.

I spent about 2 hours on it today, just removing some stuff. I'm progressing pretty slow. Just trying to take my time and not break anything, either off the harness or anywhere else. Some pictures:

Intake manifold (minus throttle body) is for sale. Let me know via PM or email if you are interested.

Given the amount of money you will throw at this project I would use new cams ansd not reground cams. The cost difference is great (twice the reground cost) but little comparered to the total build cost.

I faced the same decision a number of times on my engine (still not assembled) but each time I said "to hell with it. If it costs another $2,000 to do it right do it."

After all a good 800hp 1UZ will cost you $20,000+ so for another 10% you can have the best.

I'm looking at changing my management system on that basis. For another $1,000 I can have Autronic which is going to give me a few more horsepwoer than almost any other system. And reliability.

I'd revise your rwhp figure....not gonna happen with those turbos at that boost and even before you do get there (1000hp+) you will split the poor block. Trust me, a 500rwhp Mark IV will be plenty and easy doable with your proposed mods.

Given the amount of money you will throw at this project I would use new cams ansd not reground cams. The cost difference is great (twice the reground cost) but little comparered to the total build cost.

I faced the same decision a number of times on my engine (still not assembled) but each time I said "to hell with it. If it costs another $2,000 to do it right do it."

After all a good 800hp 1UZ will cost you $20,000+ so for another 10% you can have the best.

I'm looking at changing my management system on that basis. For another $1,000 I can have Autronic which is going to give me a few more horsepwoer than almost any other system. And reliability.

I 100% understand your reasoning, but fortunately for me, my total is closer to $10K than $20K. So it makes even more sense to go with the billet cams I guess...those decisions will be made all in due time.

I'd revise your rwhp figure....not gonna happen with those turbos at that boost and even before you do get there (1000hp+) you will split the poor block. Trust me, a 500rwhp Mark IV will be plenty and easy doable with your proposed mods.

Actually, with the headwork that I'm doing to make the engine much more efficient, it is very easy to get each of those turbos to 400rwhp each on 93 octane at 18psi. I won't do a tutorial in this thread, but boost is a measure of the resistance in the intake system. When you remove some resistance (by porting heads, oversized valves, good "bowl" work, efficient and smooth intercooler and piping, etc.) you remove this resistance, allowing for more air to be passed through to the engine at the same pressure as before. I'm very confident that I will be able to make the proposed numbers within my design perameters.

Now splitting the block is actually something I haven't given too much thought into...if someone could PM me some links as to why the block splits, where it can split, that would be great. I would like to do some more research on the subject, but not in this thread.

Thank you for your comments.

Kaze,

That will be an awesome setup. As you know due to budget, I will be using 60-1 with .48 A/R. I only have one 60-1 for now and I did some photoshop on it. Check it out.

Thanks Lex. I hope it will be an awesome setup. I've done a lot of research and this seems to be the best way to go for me. I have seen some GT35R style Ball Bearing t3/t04S combos on eBay going for cheap right now, so that's might be where I'm headed, especially if I can get them for the same price as a new t3/t04s non BB.

The price on those GT35R style turbos are very attractive. However, I was almost went that route too. I am just afraid spending 10k on the engine and destroyed by those turbos. I am not saying they will but it is just my fear. Secondly, its hard to get consistancy and reproducibility. The ebayer have it one day and dont have it the next. I want something that will be around in the next 5 years or so.

Therefore, I went with Garrett standard bearing instead. Perhaps you will be brave enough to test them out.

No details on the split blocks i'm afraid. You don't hear about them until they come back with either a 2UZ block, a drag only grout filled block or in the case of the most extreme i know of they made their own billet alloy block.

I have looked into a crank girdle in the hope of finding a relatively easy solution as i am close to hitting this issue with ballpark 650hp with all stock internals.

I don't need a turbo tute thanks, kinda got that covered for like the last 15 years :) I hope you produce the goods....just can't see it myself. Not enough serious UZs around here so the more projs that actually get up and running the better i say.

good looking project kaze, i wouldn't make comments such as offering turbo tutorials to justengt8, and he has done the most effecient and powerful tuning of any stock internal 1uz and matched figures with built 1uz's.

The price on those GT35R style turbos are very attractive. However, I was almost went that route too. I am just afraid spending 10k on the engine and destroyed by those turbos. I am not saying they will but it is just my fear. Secondly, its hard to get consistancy and reproducibility. The ebayer have it one day and dont have it the next. I want something that will be around in the next 5 years or so.

Therefore, I went with Garrett standard bearing instead. Perhaps you will be brave enough to test them out.

Hey Lex, I wasn't talking about the SSAutoChrome or XS Power turbochargers. There are a couple on there that are Turbonetics and Garrett that look pretty promising. Here's one that I looked at: Turbonetic GT35R spec turbo.

I understand the rest of your post, as some of that stuff I wouldn't trust myself...maybe one day I'll do a real budget project...one day...

No details on the split blocks i'm afraid. You don't hear about them until they come back with either a 2UZ block, a drag only grout filled block or in the case of the most extreme i know of they made their own billet alloy block.

I have looked into a crank girdle in the hope of finding a relatively easy solution as i am close to hitting this issue with ballpark 650hp with all stock internals.

I don't need a turbo tute thanks, kinda got that covered for like the last 15 years :) I hope you produce the goods....just can't see it myself. Not enough serious UZs around here so the more projs that actually get up and running the better i say.

Interesting...I guess I'll try to find some more information on the block splits...or bust my own LOL! BTW, your car sounds freaking AWESOME!

good looking project kaze, i wouldn't make comments such as offering turbo tutorials to justengt8, and he has done the most effecient and powerful tuning of any stock internal 1uz and matched figures with built 1uz's.

Thank you for the compliment, W.

Actually.. those were what I was talking about. So far, its hard to find some real threads on them. I was tempted too. It stated Garrett-turbonectic which one is it or its both or something else. I just check the seller feedback. Three of the buyers stated:
iconNeg_16x16.gif SCAMMER!NOT Blowzilla.really T3T70 ($274.99 byitnow) w/ all markings ground down
iconNeg_16x16.gif FAKE TURBOS. SS AUTOCHROME ARE HALF THE PRICE. DONT RISK YOUR ENGINE. POOR QAUL
iconNeg_16x16.gif TURBO THAT I RECEIVED WAS NOT A TURBONECTICS BUT AN EXCCESS POWER.FALSE ADVERTIS

OK, Day 2 update...not very much. I didn't even take pictures because I didn't get too far in the 2 hours or so that I was working. Got the fuel rails, and injectors out, driver's exhaust manifold. If anyone needs any of these items, please let me know. More updates as I work. Thanks for the compliments, and feel free to post comments or questions.

Chris.

Actually.. those were what I was talking about. So far, its hard to find some real threads on them. I was tempted too. I stated Garrett-turbonectic which one is it or its both or something else. I just check the seller feedback. One of the buyer stated:
SCAMMER!NOT Blowzilla.really T3T70 ($274.99 byitnow) w/ all markings ground down

Woah...that sucks...guess I'll keep looking.

Thanx Kaze. I think your completed proj will be pretty freakin' awesome as well once done :)

I have run and seen a few XS Power T3/TO4 turbos run with great success on a few different engines. For the price they are hard to beat. As far as i can tell they are just Garrett cartrige/turbine housing with their own front cover. They grind the Garrett part No.s off so it's hard to be eaxct about what they use but all the measurements you can make match up with Garrett specs sheets.

You hear the stories of Chinese knocks off etc but haven't seen anything like this 1st hand myself. For budget projects i will happily continue to use these turbos. Not a bad idea to start with these and see where you are at as a benchmark, then you can spec up or down and buy an expensive BB frame? Just a thought.

Well, if you are right about those turbos, that might knock off $500 from the "get the stupid car running" fund...err, actually it might just divert it to the $580 more that I would spend on Cams...oh well, penny saved. Thanks for the advice.

Alright, Day 3.

I have most of everything off of the longblock. All the accessories, exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds, most of the covers etc. Some pictures:

I get some more time tomorrow night to be in the garage, so I'll hopefully get to pull the rest of the block apart and get the heads off. I'm getting really close to stage 2, and I'm getting excited again. Got some more stuff for sale. Intake manifold (upper and lower), exhaust manifolds, alternator (I'm going with a higher performance one) fuel rails, injectors, etc. Let me know if you need anything.

Chris.

Attachments

• Image(157) (Medium).jpg
    Image(157) (Medium).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Image(158) (Medium).jpg
    Image(158) (Medium).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Image(159) (Medium).jpg
    Image(159) (Medium).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Image(160) (Medium).jpg