upgrading the LS430 brakes

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

nine1twoinc

Hi guys, newbie here, I've tried searching around but can't really find any solid infos regarding this matter. I have a 01 LS430 and hoping to change out the rotors to cross-drilled/slotted, with better pads and steel braided brake line and brake oil. What choices do I have for each of them? I know Brembo have the rotors, but anything else out there? What are the advantages and disadvantages or the metallic/organic vs. ceramic? TIA

John

The "cliff's notes" version of what you need to know:

1) Cross-drilled rotors are for style only. They will not work better than solid rotors in any situation that your LS430 will ever see. Remember, your brake rotors are basically just heat-sinks which means drilling holes in them reduces the capacity for that rotor to store heat. Despite the marketing you read, a drilled rotor will not dissipate heat any faster than a blank rotor. Slotting will shave your just pads like a cheese grater. In return, you will increase the initial bite of your pads. Your choice if this is important to you.

2) Braided steel covered teflon brake lines will improve the pedal feel and that's it. Your choice if this is important to you.

3) Brake Fluid: The best cheap fluid on the market, in my opinion, is ATE Superblue. The second best for cheap fluid is Valvoline SynPower. Both of which are rated at temperatures much higher than they are likely to see in your car.

4) Semi-metallic pads are organic pads with metal mixed into increase friction and raise the temperature range at which the pad operates. Typical ceramic pads are designed to reduced dusting compared to organic pads, but may not work as well as semi-metallic pads at higher temperatures. For the driving you will be doing in that car, high quality ceramic pads from a company like Hawk should suit you fine.

Hope this helps.

Adrian

So basically I only need to get good rotors, and pads and I am set? What would be a good brand to buy for the rotor besides replacing it with stock rotors? I don't do alot of hard driving, but I do drive spirityly sometimes, I know I can't expect sports car braking ability, but since my stock rotors are pretty screwed and my pads got about 30% left, I figure I should upgrade this safety equipment. But thank you for the response, I will look into it.

I've always been happy with Brembo brand OE replacement rotors. For pads, my best suggestion is to contact the folks at Porterfield Brakes:

http://www.racebrakes.com/

With the LS430, you are probably limited in what pads fit your car. Porterfield can custom make just about any brake pad for you in just about any brake pad compound. I've purchased from them before and have been very happy with the service. Give them a call and see what they say. Indicate that you want a pad with low dust, quiet operation, and a little more bite that stock. See what they can come up with for you.

i know this is an old thread... but i just ordered Cross drilled and Diamond Slotted Performance rotors from R1 Concepts. The performance rotors has a black coating on the hub, dont know what that does but i just ordered performance ones.

got a good deal on this one. anyone ordered from R1Concepts before? How is the quality ? and how do you like it?