Upgrading 1uz coils

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

spf_lexus

Has anyone tried swapping out OEM for aftermarket? It seems pretty straightforward, ignition lead on top, and just an ignition/ground right? Only problem I can see is re-routing a location for the left side coil... it's side mounted and won't have room for a skycraper like this one. I want aftermarket because OEM is $90 per unit and high output units throw down much more juice for the price. Also, these run anywhere from $50-$75 each. Can anyone offer an opinion?

coil.jpg

I run 21.5psi on the standard Toyota ignition.

I use factory wires, rotors & caps with Champion (off eBay) coils and Champion igniters.

Aftermarket doesn't really seem necessary until you get to serious boost.

Mine are 18 years old and I want to replace them anyway. Need to know if these type an be swapped. And OEM will cost me MORE in the end, like $180 versus $120.

Don't go OEM.

Check out your autoparts store for Champion units.

Our coils fit a heap of Toyota products, the only change is the mounting bracket.

If you go aftermarket you need to work out how to mount them securely and also know your getting abetter product.

You say the aftermarket coils have higher performance but have you checked the factory figures?

Quite a few of us run high boost (where you expect the coils shortcomings to come to the fore) without any problems.

You may be surprised how cheap aftermarket direct replacement coils will be for a Toyota.