Twin Turbo Big Block

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Cool project. Of course that is not a real big block chevy. It is a stroked small block. I also hope he is doing major frame and drivetrain upgrades as those old Z cars use very flimsey mounting points.

Will be hard not to make 600hp with this combination. If he can keep it pointed straight it will be a seriously fast car.

There are many Z's with both (true) big blocks and small block chevys on the stock frame/drivetrain. Though, if the guy has the know how and determination to build a TT Chevy and drop it in his Z, he probably already took any precautions he thought were necessary.

Thank you, 4X4runner....your confidence is well placed. The 71 Z car has a full cage, full frame, 9" ford rear, 4 link, moser axles, disc brakes all around, 5 lugs all around, fuel cell, 13.5 inches of tire on the ground per side, completely new steering, PG transmission with brake, 4.11 gears (going to have to go to 3.73's or 3.50's I'm afraid because I don't want to spin the motor much past 6500 rpm...and turbo's love a load. This is a street car that I drive to the track and back. My best to date on the N/A motor is 6.69 @ 103 in the 1/8th...drive it there/drive it home. I agree with thermactor...no traction on the street at all, even now. Base motor is a Bill Mitchell 454 Special Edition...it is a small block with the same bore and stroke as a big block. Makes 600 hp N/A with a 1050 holley. I have replaced the carb with fuel injection and I am looking for an easy 900 hp on pump gas with water/alcohol injection and 1300 hp minimum with race gas.

By the way, I am the same guy who has been fooling around with the supercharged, turbocharged, nitroused, alcohol injected Tundra engine, (Mean Green Machine). Haven't fooled with it for a while, however, we had quite a global discussion over whether you would defeat the purpose of the supercharger or whether the supercharger would be a restriction in the system. If you get the January 2008 edition of Mustangs and Fast Fords, there is an article in there that vindicates my thought processes as to feasibility of turbo/supercharger systems. Twin turbocharged into a supercharger...makes 1,188 hp and 1,017 lb/ft of torque @ 6500 rpm on a stock cobra engine...I think they are 5.4 liter. Take a read...it's a good article.

Wayne

we had quite a global discussion over whether you would defeat the purpose of the supercharger or whether the supercharger would be a restriction in the system.

Wayne

I dont see why people feel the need to jump on the "that wont work" bandwaggon so easy, ive seen this before with discussions of twin charging where most of the people seem to think the supercharger will become a restriction. ive seen a lot of working examples that work just fine. supercharger and turbos sized properly ofcorse.

i think some people forget diesel engines, there are plenty that come stock with a turbo and a supercharger.

btw the Z looks great!

Thanks, Jake....you bring up a great point...diesel guys have been doing turbo/superchargers for years...forgot to mention that...and your point of proper sizing is correct also...gotta use bigger turbos with a supercharger than if using turbo's alone, all other things being equal of course.

Wayne

Hey Wayne, Happy New Year to you mate!

Must admit I'm not a bowtie fan, but all the best with your project. Once you're mashed back in the seat with your eyelids peeled back, you really don't know or care whether it's a domestic or an import that's doing the G's, do you?

Looks like another impressive money pit project you've got there.

Thanks for the heads up on the Mustang mag; I'd like to find it on the news stand.

Wayne is a sick sick man....

I have the same intercooler too.

P1020290.jpg

Where did you guy's pinch :06: my design for intercooler's with vertical tubes and tapered/top/bottom/semi circular tanks ! :bigok:

Been trying to get the 'petrol heads' out here to use this design. More efficient cooling, less pressure loss.
"Nah, don't look like me mates ! Just want a bigger one !"

Hey John, long time, no talk! Happy New Year to you too....and you are exactly correct...money pit is the word and when you are trying to figure out how to put all this stuff to the ground, the make and model kinda get lost in the melee somewhwere...:eek:) The compound boost info and article can be read here also as well as input from other folks. Methinks it will open some eyes....:eek:)

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/index.html

Wayne

Wayne thanks for the link, and yes, I'm sure both the concept and your project will be vindicated ;-)

Compound compression isn't anything new; nearly every air compressor sold is a two stage, so there's no reason it shouldn't work fine in an automotive application. The trick will be getting the interstage ratios right and sizing the volumes of both stages to match up.

The twin charged thread was a good one for sure....changed my view and hopefully going to get my current TT setup feeding the XKR M112 SC in the near future.

No doubting the grunt potential of your beast, just wish it was a UZ :(

There are many Z's with both (true) big blocks and small block chevys on the stock frame/drivetrain. Though, if the guy has the know how and determination to build a TT Chevy and drop it in his Z, he probably already took any precautions he thought were necessary.

Well I certainly meant no direct insult towards Wayne. My comments were based on just the post as I did not recognize Waynes history here (Tundra). Rather my words about the block and suspension were meant as informative. While it is now hugely obvious that Wayne is MORE than up to this task I would suggest that is not always the case. I have seen more than one old Z car with a V8 swap and stock suspension.

My "600hp" note was not a limit but rather about the minimum I would expect a turbocharged 454cid / 7.4 liter engine engine to make.

Wayne, hats off to you!

If anyone has not read the link on compound supercharging that Wayne has provided they are missing out. READ IT.

JBRADY...by no means was your comment taken as an insult by me...without prior knowledge of what I do (or have done), it was simply a logical comment. You're correct, there are some folks out there who....shall we say...don't always put the correct focus on engineering functions...:eek:) when they build something. I certainly can't lay claim to being an engineering guru...what I know comes from a combination of age, not being afraid to do the research and tackle something something and learning from a LOT of mistakes. I like to share where I can quantify stuff in hopes that other folks can save themselves some of the trials I have gone through (mostly of my own doing, I must confess)....only takes 3 smacks with a 2X4 to get it through my head..:eek:)

Thanks for the kudo's...much appreciated. I really didn't mean for David to share the non-UZ stuff I am doing to the Z-car on this site, just wanted to whet his appetite

Wayne

Hey Wayne,

Your projects are great and we love it regardless of what motor. We are gearheads. By the way... did I mentioned that you are very sick?