Turbo and Temperature

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Here is my personal research with my Single Turbo System. I drove for about 45 minutes during a cool afternoon. The enviromental temperature was 60F.

The temperatures were taken with a hand held infared heat gun from about 2" from the target. The temperature was taken immediately right after the 45 minutes drive with the engine idleing.
temp.jpg

Here are the readings:
1. Turbine Thermo Protection = 136.8F
2. Compresssor = 120.5F
3. Turbine without Thermo Cover = 411F
4. K&N Filter = 135F
5. Engine Temp. = 120.8F
6. Throttle Body = 105.7F
7. Intake = 85F
8. Intercooler Outlet = 76.4F
9. Intercooler Inlet = 85.0F
10. Down Pipe = 293F
11. Enviromental Temp = 60F

Today is very atypical temperature for California. During earlier today we had some mild rain. It would be interesting to see some temperature changes during a hot sunny day.

As yu can see the turbo glove like cover reduce turbine temperature from 411F to 136F. That is about 275F different.

Some of you might ask yourself. Why is the temperature increase from number 8 and 6. Its about 20F different. The re-gain of heat is most likely from heat soak from the engine, engine bay, radiator and heat radiates from the turbo.

This set up is HOT to Cold to Warm. Imagine the turbo and intake is at the same side like the SC300. HOT to Cold To Hot again.

I hope this post will help some of you.

You could reduce most of the tempuratures by using exhaust wrap on the turbo downpipe then wrapping the intake pipe from the intercooler to the AFM and from there to the Throttle Body.

I know you have the ceramic coating on your pipes but if you could lower the temps firstly with the downpipe lagged then try to hold the intercooler outlet temp to the t/b you would be gaining heaps.

Interesting the temp drop from the airfilter to the compressor.

Another suggestion would be box the airfilter and give it so fresh/cool air.

Rod,

Thanks for the advice. This type of data is great for baseline and will do some mod to improve the intake temperature. Once the mod is done, i can re-measure the temperature and see if any changes.

I also would like to see temperature measurements during a hot sunny day. I would assume if i ceramic coat the intake pipes, the intake air temperature will drop. However, the exterior pipes temp would be the same.

You're correct about the ceramic coating.

I would look at lagging all the pipes a bit like your turbo cover as it has shown a huge temp difference with and without. Imagine the under bonnet temp without the cover.

Whilst this will not look the best what do we want bling or power?

I'm not sure if your infrared temp gun will yield correct temerature readings. You want to sample the air itself not the medium which carries it. You need to see what you inlet air temp sensor is reading either by using a scan tool or measuring the resistance at the sensor. The factory repair manuals have ohm/temp graph. You can also pick up a SP Engineering intercooler temp meter to measure true inlet/outlet temps.
http://www.sp-power.com/newproducts.htm (bottom of page)
You have to measure the temps while the car is moving and air is flowing thru the intercooler so that it can do it's job.
Armed with accurate data you will be able to take correct steps to bring down your inlet temps.

NICE!!!! the price is kind of high for me. I think there lots of DIY temperature sensors just for testing sake. Nice unit nevertheless. I live and work very close to SP.

Not to be cheap or anything. Digital Temperature Meter will work for my application. I would need two 3/8" npt opening in pre and post intercooler to test the temperature. I can plug one up and read one at a time. Need a meter that can read higher temperature then the one shown above.

This is another workable unit just for testing Old School Temp Gauge