Transmission upgrade

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

1UZ-HZ

Hi,
Should I bother spending the money on upgrading my Crown auto? I'm essentialy aiming at 500hp with the same turbo Lex is using in his LS, but I will be hitting the drag scene more often then not. With grippy drag tyres and a whole bucket load of torque would the auto handle it even with upgraded valve body and clutch packs? Or should I just be lookin at the tradtional style of autos, of course not having overdrive is goin to kill any kind of comfortable highway cruising even with a low stally and high diff gearing

HAHA I would but then it could be off the road for ages, I think it would be cheaper and easier if I upgraded/change before it all goes in.

besides a torque converter upgrade, what else is avaliable for the stock Ls400 trans to make it shift harder and firmer and also allow it to put the power to the ground better?

Rocky, I have read stuff in this section about upgrades, MV automatics in Adelaide are known for their work. Read the articles on that site above, especially the Turbo Magazine pdf under featured articles - http://www.levelten.com/pdf/turbo.pdf . It goes into a lot of detail about weakpoints of the auto and the fixes (shift kit, line pressures, clutches etc). Seems they can be made as strong as some of the traditional turbo 400's, but with a fourth gear if you get rid of the 'soft change put in by the factory to make them silky smooth - it cooks the gearbox in power applications! This is the way I am going when I get to that point.