The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

supercoupe

Hi all

Is there currently any tiptronic / eshift type controller on the market that works with an A340E (US spec 93 SC400)? I know there used to be the one made by KDog, but they're no longer available I guess? What about the Suprastick by Latent Solutions? Does it work?

Any info appreciated. Thanks

I bought the Second Gen GS400 Steering wheel with e-shift buttons on it, and am adding the Stand Alone Control Unit from Powertrain Control Solutions to manage it and the transmission.

Ryan

Yeah I was looking into PCS as well as IPT. Looks like they all have their downsides.

On another note: I have just been offered a KDog controller by one of the members here. I'd get that in a heartbeat if there wasn't that thread where several comments are made about it not working properly with the stock ECU (or vice versa): http://lextreme.com/forums/showpost....82&postcount=2

Has this ever been resolved?

Thanks

I Believe "SideShow" can make a device that will "manualise" your gearbox. ie you use the shifter to change gears. I'm not sure how this will go with the factory computers though, but I'm sure SideShow would know.

Cheers

Daniel.

i have kdogs unit in my car
u cannot run both std auto ecu and kdogs unit at same time

if u want to spend the money i can wire it up so with a flick of a switch u can run full auto if u run factory ecu

or u run full manual using kdogs unit

i have one of his units for sale too brand new unused
i bought 4 units of him awhile ago

pcs make very good stuff

there is no probs with kdogs unit
only that u cannot enigne brake when goin down gears
for u to engine brake u need to move shifter
as engine braking is done thru hydraulic so that means u need to move gear lever

i make cheap and nasty auto controllers
they work a treat and are not too dear
they select the gear depending what position shifter is in
not tip tronic

if u want to spend money big time i can make a complete unit to switch from factory ecu controlled auto (full auto shifting)

then flick the switch and u have full tiptronic

since its hard to get yr car to me i can do the unit as best i can then all u do is cut afew wires and join them into my unit

ill even supply instructions

for me to get tiptronic on my crown 1uz i have to unplug the auto ecu
then plug in my tiptronic
i dont min though it only takes a minute

i even have buttons on steering wheel which are connected to a tiny transmitter hidden in steering wheel boss

then the reciever is connected to the tip tronic unit
so there is no wiring from buttons on steering wheel to tip tronic unit
works on ultrasonics or radio waves

but if u have the cash anyhting can be done

Well yes, the idea was to retain the stock ECU and the option to go from manual to auto and back using a button. If that takes some custom modding of KDog's unit, then that's what I'll do (or have done).

Anyway, I did some more research on this topic and came accross AWShifting. I emailed them and they confirmed that their unit works with my SC400, including the option to switch between manu and auto modes using a button. So I'm kind of surprised I don't see this mentioned here or over at CL. Are there any known issues with it? I'll probably just give it a try. If it doesn't work as advertised, I will have to reconsider the KDog unit.

Thanks

there are afew aftermarket auto ecus not many people ue them so hard to find that info

over here its bloody a hard trying to get people to spend money on a good aftermarket engine ecu so getting them to sepdn money on an auto ecu is never heard off

i think for value for money the suprastick is good

i guess it come down to price

i would fit a shift kit to the auto before fitting a tip tronic

ive got both done and the shift kit had the best performance value

Talked to Garrett (Suprastick) and he said it wouldn't work on a 93 SC4. Shiftkit, yes, maybe. But right now I'm just annoyed by not having real control over the shifts.

I'm going to try the AWShifting and report back how it went.

Welcome to my world supercoupe...

For years I struggled with what you are currently going thru... NOT HAVING CONTROL OVER THE SHIFTS... IPT controller may be your answer though, I almost went that rought but blew the tranny out before I had the chance to purchase and install... Also Built up another tranny but still couldn't have the timely shifts.... Then I blew out that built A340E tranny and gave up trying..... They just aren't a great performance transmission for racing or running big nitrous power thru them...Great for luxury though....

Upping the line pressure did however give my SC400 a bit more crispier shifts... Timely shifting was always hit and miss..

I did quite some "research" about this issue and all of the options seem to have their downsides. The IPT box for example uses 4 pushbuttons to select gears and does not have an option to connect paddles or momentary up / down switches. They also have no intention of changing that anytime soon.

If the AWShifting box works like advertised (I still have my doubts), it's the only one that has the features I want, including the ability to shift sequentially through the gears and to switch between manual and automatic mode.

The box should be on its way by now but I'm probably still a few weeks away from installing it. Anyway, I'll report back how it went.

AWshiftng tiptronic

Talked to Garrett (Suprastick) and he said it wouldn't work on a 93 SC4. Shiftkit, yes, maybe. But right now I'm just annoyed by not having real control over the shifts.

I'm going to try the AWShifting and report back how it went.

I bought the AWshifting tiptronic - cost me $165 Aus landed on my door. Haven't had a chance to wire it in yet as I'm still fabricating but it looks great. Wired it up on the bench, seems to allow you to select auto or manual at the push of a switch. Has 3 inputs and 3 outputs to allow solenoid pass through in auto mode. Starts in 4th gear for safety in case the system loses power momentarily when driving. Outputs to 4 leds to tell you which gear you are in. Has a separate switch for the torque converter lockup solenoid. Not as good as K-dogs in the sense that his will lockup the torque converter with another push after 4th gear and his has an LCD gear display.

I'm looking to control the torque converter lockup with my computer so it's only on in light throttle (1% - 10%) and turns off at zero throttle to prevent damage and stalling. I'll wire it with a relay so it's inactive unless in 4th gear.

http://www.awshifting.com/controller.htm

Has lots of reviews from happy clients, fits jeeps, Toyota's, Honda's. You can see a video of it working here -
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=FhbsMnw1Rr8

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...4&postcount=35

Uses the standard shift pattern that the 1uz auto uses -
' Gear Sol1 Sol2
' 1 on 0ff
' 2 on on
' 3 0ff on
' 4 0ff 0ff

Attachments

• radar.jpg
    radar.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 50
Sounds like it is quite invovled getting it all hooked up and working right...

I like it though... EDZ - Post your results please when you got it all installed... Let us know what you think and if it infact improved performance..

i second that! I bought my SC4 because I wanted something with some power, and didn't have to shift and could cruise in, but it's already been a few months, and I'm already dying from the autotragic..i mean automatic. This would be great!!

Tiptronic

Will do, but someone else will beat me as I'm still 6 months away from driving it as I'm building the car at the same time. As for performance improvement, I won't have anything to compare it to until I wire in the original ECT at some point.

Ed

Sounds like it is quite invovled getting it all hooked up and working right...

I like it though... EDZ - Post your results please when you got it all installed... Let us know what you think and if it infact improved performance..

just go manual if u want power

the autos are the bigest let down for toyota unless u are 60 years old ad dont want to feel the gear changes their autos are for luxury cars not fro hoon cars

i dont htink u should worry for lock up converter
when i make my shift units i tell customer to fit a momenty switch not a on off switch to the lock up converter cause if its on at wrong time u stuff things

and at end of day u want performnce not economy otherwise go buy a hyundai and sell the toyota

ive done afew shift units and also wired up mis matched autos to the engine ecus which usually means no lock up or press solenoid
and customer never complained so i would nto worry bout the lock up sol
ifs its a hassle

ill do some reading on that shift unit above it sounds ok

but my final words are

go manual u will appreciate it much more

AWshifting tiptronic

So can anyone tell me if this IPT controller worth getting? I really am looking for help with the tranny shifts.. Looking for some testimony on this product?

Can't give a testimony yet, but the the AWshifting tiptronic works fine on the bench and appears to work as advertised, won't know until a few months yet. At $165 it's good value. Ed

Apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead. Just wondering if anyone successfully installed this. Still have my controller around but no wiring diagram / instructions. AWShifting appears to no longer exist ...

Can anyone help?