Timing belt F'up. 1996 LS400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

bmoore2132

Everything was going great with the timing belt replacement on my '96 LS400. I got the new timing belt on and everything lined up. I started to turn the crank to make sure everything was in line and... I hadn't pulled the pin on the tensioner and the cams jumped teeth.

I have the crank through 1 rotation and about half-way through the second. I cannot turn it any more, I'm getting resistance -- not compression resistance, valve-to-piston resistance.

WTF do I do now?

What do u mean u can not pull the pin on the tensioner? Why would u turn the engine with the pin in? No tension means belt jump. I believe broke or bend your valves and got stuck in the chamber.

What do u mean u can not pull the pin on the tensioner? Why would u turn the engine with the pin in? No tension means belt jump. I believe broke or bend your valves and got stuck in the chamber.

Meh, it shouldn't have bent anything, I was going super-slow in turning the crank and as soon as I felt something that was more than compression, I immediately stopped.

Since I posted, I backed both cams back a few teeth and got the crank through 2 revolutions, then lined the cams back up and reinstalled the timing belt again.

I manually turned the engine through 4 revolutions and felt nothing bad, just repeated cylinder compressions, so I hope I'm okay...

Attachments

• DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 194
Meh, it shouldn't have bent anything, I was goireceived_413246500093828.jpegng super-slow in turning the crank and as soon as I felt something that was more than compression, I immediately stopped.

Since I posted, I backed both cams back a few teeth and got the crank through 2 revolutions, then lined the cams back up and reinstalled the timing belt again.

I manually turned the engine through 4 revolutions and felt nothing bad, just repeated cylinder compressions, so I hope I'm okay...
Thanks you just help me more than you can even know. W@$ having the same problem over here with my first belt change thought I f*$ked up️‼️